Zyban

Hobox

There is a "new" medicin called Zyban and a friend told me this was some sort of Antabus for smokers. I asked at my local pharmacy and they never heard about it.

After a google I found out that the thai name seems to be Quomen. Where can I get the hold of this in the Phuket area and what kind of price/dosage are we talking about?

Any Pharmacy should be able to sell you it, just ask for it - I got mine down at the chalong circle pharmacy (on the road to the pier), its pretty strong stuff and makes you feel a little weird for the first week or so, but seems to work - I will try it again as I almost gave up (3 weeks) when taking them.

Any Pharmacy should be able to sell you it, just ask for it - I got mine down at the chalong circle pharmacy (on the road to the pier), its pretty strong stuff and makes you feel a little weird for the first week or so, but seems to work - I will try it again as I almost gave up (3 weeks) when taking them.

How much do they cost and how many do you need?

And under what name did they sell them?

Zyban is also wellbutrin. The funny feeling may be due to the fact that it is an anti-depressant. When initial clinical studies where done, they noticed that smokers stopped smoking. So they re-marketed it under a new name. So one should not take it if they are on anti-depressants!

If you are in the states, and you want to get it, your Dr. will usually prescribe Wellbutrin, as your insurance is more likely to cover the costs, than if you are prescribed Zyban.

The length of time it takes for you to stop smoking depends on (to a certain degree) your will power.

With hard core smokers.. the desire is so strong that they WILL themselves to continue smoking. You have to want to stop smoking while using this drug.

For most people, cigarettes begin to taste funny, and so then you go for a lighter version of whatever it is you smoke until the taste is just so icky, that you stop. Usually at that point even the smell of smoke may irritate you. Again, for some people, you go through a flu like stage, and at that point if you press the smoking issue, you may overcome the drugs effect. And if you step back on the smoking you may stop smoking.

The people that I know who have used it have (except for two -one being my mother and a hard core smoker-) been very successful and never took back up smoking. This was accomplished within less than a month. One gained about 10 lbs and I do believe it may kill your sex drive for a while.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't touch Zyban with a barge pole.I tried this for stopping smoking,i was smoking 80 a day at the time,and within 2-3 days i was smoking 20,within 8 days i'd stopped,the problem was the side affects where terribly dangerous.At the time i was driving articulated trailers to Scotland every day,on the 3rd day of taking it i was driving northbound and started to feel like the lorry was jumping in and out of the second /third lane,everything seemed to be going much faster than it was.apparently they can affect different people in many different ways.Another man i knew had been taking them and made him lose his breath,ive also heard of them making the heart race to a dangerous level,so i would warn anybody thinking of taking them,be careful.I stopped taking them as the effects where too drastic for me.and yes i smoked again,but at least i didnt die on the motorway or kill someone by accident form the effects of the pills....

• 2 months later...

I have started to use Quomen 4 days ago. First side effect is "rash", back to doctor tomorrow to see what she says. Further has this tablet managed to silent my brain. Feel like a plant that cant enjoy anything. However I am gonna go ahead with it as I want to quit!

I was also taking Quomen for two weeks, did manage to stop smoking after the first week....HOWEVER had to stop taking the pills as I felt like a zombie towards to end of the second week, back smoking again. I think the patches are my next stop.

Be careful with that Quomen, defo consult your doc before taking them...weird stuff

I was also taking Quomen for two weeks, did manage to stop smoking after the first week....HOWEVER had to stop taking the pills as I felt like a zombie towards to end of the second week, back smoking again. I think the patches are my next stop.

Be careful with that Quomen, defo consult your doc before taking them...weird stuff

Yeah, I agree. Really becoming a zombie. The doctor warned me for that. Further did she inform me that I might get aggresive.. Well, lets see.

Yeah, I agree. Really becoming a zombie. The doctor warned me for that. Further did she inform me that I might get aggresive.. Well, lets see.

Be careful with it Ray, really mashed my head up after the 1st week, I started taking 2 as per the doc instructions.....thats when I felt worse, went back down to 1 and still felt spaced :o Not touching them again.

Be careful with it Ray, really mashed my head up after the 1st week, I started taking 2 as per the doc instructions.....thats when I felt worse, went back down to 1 and still felt spaced :o Not touching them again.

I just read in another post about SJW which is availble at GNC stores. Gonna have a look tomorrow as the other side effect is now kicking in. Cant sleep.

7 years ago I was in the UK driving all over installing mobile transmission equipment. I was smoking 40-60 B&H a day While stopping at the services for my fourth packet of the day a really nice bike pulled in to gas up. As I stood there admiring the bike it suddenly dawned on me just how much I was spending on the fags. It suddenly hit me that if I didnt smoke I could have a nice bike and still be better off. I got back in my car and headed home. That weekend I went to my local bike shop and got my self a bike. Even though I was paying for the bike and going through a back tyre a month, a heavy right hand, ( 250 pounds sterling ) I was still quids in. I have never had another fag since nor will.

To stop smoking you just have to really want to. I was one of those people who enjoyed smoking as well. I, like all smokers didnt realise just how much I smelt either. It wasnt untill a few months after Id stopped I gave my friend a lift to the station one morning and as soon as he got in the car it stunk!! I found it was mostly habit more than anything. Like cup of coffe the morning paper and a fag. I can now go out to a bar where people are smoking and it doesnt bother me in the slightest. As I said its something you have to want to do. If you do then you dont need drugs or patches. For me it was the best thing I ever did. Now when I look at my latest bike I know I paid for it by quitting.

GO ON , DO IT FOR YOU!!!!!!!

:o

Edited by H2oDunc

7 years ago I was in the UK driving all over installing mobile transmission equipment. I was smoking 40-60 B&H a day While stopping at the services for my fourth packet of the day a really nice bike pulled in to gas up. As I stood there admiring the bike it suddenly dawned on me just how much I was spending on the fags. It suddenly hit me that if I didnt smoke I could have a nice bike and still be better off. I got back in my car and headed home. That weekend I went to my local bike shop and got my self a bike. Even though I was paying for the bike and going through a back tyre a month, a heavy right hand, ( 250 pounds sterling ) I was still quids in. I have never had another fag since nor will.

To stop smoking you just have to really want to. I was one of those people who enjoyed smoking as well. I, like all smokers didnt realise just how much I smelt either. It wasnt untill a few months after Id stopped I gave my friend a lift to the station one morning and as soon as he got in the car it stunk!! I found it was mostly habit more than anything. Like cup of coffe the morning paper and a fag. I can now go out to a bar where people are smoking and it doesnt bother me in the slightest. As I said its something you have to want to do. If you do then you dont need drugs or patches. For me it was the best thing I ever did. Now when I look at my latest bike I know I paid for it by quitting.

GO ON , DO IT FOR YOU!!!!!!!

:o

Sir, thank you very much for your kind words. I have ditched the pills this morning as I had no sleep at all last night, nearly crashed this mornig on the way to work..etc, etc. (nope, didn't speed.. just lost contact with the real world) If I could take a 7 week holiday and lock myself up at home I might reconsidder it. ha ha ha.

II know what bike you bought! Its a great monster. Myself I crashed my VFR800i on the racetrack in pattaya, not sure if I want to do that again..riding a bike that is.. But dry season is coming up, so let see...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have to say zyaban worked great for me!!!

I took one a day for a week and continued smoking( as told to do by my european doctor) and then after that week i stopped smoking and was on 2 a day for 6 weeks. By the end of the first week i was smoking but it tasted foul and found that my cravings wernt really there but that i was smoking out of habit. After the first week i stopped smoking and when the 6 weeks were up with the tablets i didnt smoke again for 3 years.

unfortunatly im back on the fags again!!!! Stupid I know!!!!!!!

Gonna have to try stop again but i think this time im gonna try my will power we'll have to see how it goes!!!!!!!

Edited by twisty