Many parents finding online lessons ‘far too expensive’

snoop1130

Many parents finding online lessons ‘far too expensive’

By The Nation

800_43d90ac357e2796.jpg

Parents in Chiang Mai are calling on the government to reopen schools soon because online classes can be unaffordable for some families.

Ploysai Saengsuwan, 43, said her two daughters are meant to attend online classes, but she does not have the funds to purchase a television, computer and iPad as instructed by the school. The school also requires that she have a broadband connection in her house to make online classes possible.

She said that since Covid-19 hit Thailand, her income as a masseur has completely dried up and now she is having to rely on the state-provided aid packages to feed her children.

Another parent, Nut Lummong, 45, said she had been forced to find more money so her son could attend classes online.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388061

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-18

• Sad 2

My wife's sister has 3 kids and they usually take turns borrowing there mums phone in the day to play games with a very cheap internet daily package that gets slower when the data plan has been used up.

Now she needs 3 smartphones and a good internet package.

They haven't asked me to help yet probably because I dont visit there with the C19 virus restrictions  ..

It has its benefits...

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Free internet time on the smart phone provided every month by all providers since the COVID lockdown.

Can't understand why AIS have sent me a bill for my internet package.

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Yes 300 baht not expensive for you, but think about the poor  Thai people who were only earning 300 baht per day, and now are out of work.

Who doesnt have a smart phone, many poor families dont have smart phones.

The only reason that I have a smartphone is because the screen is bigger and I can view things a bit easier.

I should really get new glasses.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nahkit said:

I'm guessing here ..........

But probably because you can't read Thai, so haven't replied to the SMS you received (in Thai) offering free internet.

Or possibly because you're already on an internet package, and it's only for people without internet.

Edited by BritManToo

Little bit confusing, it is mostly the school being the incompetent one here. 
You could get very proper Xiaomi style tablets and use a separate keyboard. This can function as TV, laptop and tablet in one.

Then for streaming and classes, you can use a SIM card with 4G. Currently promotions available for 4Mbps and unlimited Data at 150-200 baht a month with TrueMove.

If the school would arrange wholesale of these tablets, and maybe even sweet talk a deal with AIS or True, it would cost each parent 4K baht, perhaps instalments too.

Those tablets would be good enough for all things like Google Docs (Office), Google Classroom, etc etc etc.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:
3 hours ago, nahkit said:

I'm guessing here ..........

But probably because you can't read Thai, so haven't replied to the SMS you received (in Thai) offering free internet.

Or possibly because you're already on an internet package, and it's only for people without internet.

No need to guess, I've already said in my post that I'm on an internet package.

At least Shinawatra gave tablets. My kids are still waiting to go into full force online here. One is at CMU first year and the other Yupparaj last year. Unfortunately this is my daughters last year and she will not be able to enjoy it as she should. Darn shame. Thank you very much China! 

For us no problem but for other kids any cost will be hard to shoulder.

On 5/19/2020 at 6:32 AM, BritManToo said:

I'm in Chiang Mai, just paid 300bht for 3 months online classes, starting yesterday.

Not sure they'll be any good, but can't complain that they're expensive.

Way cheaper than the normal 6,000bht they want for normal school extras ..... and no need to give him 30bht lunch money either.

No computer involved, phone app + worksheets.

Who doesn't have a smart phone?

Free internet time on the smart phone provided every month by all providers since the COVID lockdown.

Same for CMR University in Chiang Mai

My girl asked for 3,300bht for online lessons, normal price for the term would be 12,000bht

No need to give her 100bht lunch money either. 

Complete nonsense story!

COVID is saving me $$$$$s.

Link?

I can't find any link for these online classes, I'd like to try for my son

Very simple to design inexpensive, effective distance learning program. Government would need to pick up the bulk of costs but there's no magic. Just takes creativity.

I'm sure many of the international schools with young learners are struggling. Teachers first aren't given time, resources. Second, many don't have a head for design and technology.

Revolution in Education coming driven by technology.

Edited by Number 6

Our school offers free lessons online ,out of 30 in the class only about 10 or 12 do the lessons they use Zoom, but of course you need good internet speed and computer /smartphone .this is a government school and no help from the ministry of education .

this is also not a good way to learn social skills being on line .

Back to school in July and lets see what brilliant ideas they have with social distancing with kids.????