Many parents finding online lessons ‘far too expensive’

snoop1130

Well, Must be difficult also to borrow from their family, as such loans are soon considered as gifts...

Government could chip in for those who just cannot pay it all.

Everyone must have heard of the words of wisdom: ''If you think that education is expensive, try ignorance"

On 5/18/2020 at 7:25 PM, connda said:

Bring back the good old Thai feudal days.  Educate the rich and let the rug-rats of the poor work side-by-side with their indentured parents in neo-slavery.  Look at the Lakhon on TV.  What are wonderful period of time.  The rich were wealthy beyond belief and everyone else grovelled on the ground at their feet as things should be in a truly civilized Thai world.  Let's bring back the good old days, 'eh?  So take care of the rich Thai kids and forget about the rest.  They're not going to have any future after the economy is collapsed so why bother educating them?

Why don't you add, "And let the sons of the rich rape the servants!" while your at it...  ???? 

On 5/19/2020 at 12:37 PM, BritManToo said:

I'm guessing here ..........

But probably because you can't read Thai, so haven't replied to the SMS you received (in Thai) offering free internet.

Or possibly because you're already on an internet package, and it's only for people without internet.

It is only for Thai citizens. You have to register with Thai ID card number.

These lessons are on TV bit ordinary free channel or digital TVs can't get it.  I've had to give up my morning news so daughter of Cambodian worker can watch. They have not one but 2 TV sets but neither can get these channels.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

These lessons are on TV bit ordinary free channel or digital TVs can't get it.

DLTV is on both my digital tvs.

Just needed to rescan the channels.

Although I can't get up much enthusiasm to force my 8yo to watch this garbage.

I'll just let him expand his English vocabulary by watching minecraft walkthroughs on youtube.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

My missus just tried to explain this system to me, and it just sounded absolutely ghastly. Some 'teacher' on a TV channel giving out a work schedule or similar, and the kid has to complete it and.........................oh I don't know.

Poor kids.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 11:49 PM, Thunder26 said:

Online teaching has many issues. It is not only unaffordable for some, but it is also a nuisanse for many parents.

International schools teach online and throw all the burden towards parents in educating their children. An online lesson consists of a teacher explaining a topic for about 10 minutes and then giving an assignment that young learners cannot complete independently. The question arises "Why do parents have to pay astronomical fees to end up teaching their kids by themselves or hiring tutors?". Most parents don't have the skills to teach or time.  It sounds like a scam. That's what the schools are doing now.

This madness needs to stop and allow physical learning where students spend the whole day with the teacher. Not 10 minutes by an online mini lesson. 

I thought the government said the teaching resumes from the 1st of July with the new year schedule. Then why are many government schools starting teaching online now? It baffles me.

With the current numbers of cases being so low the government could've started the real teaching in person by June 1st. 

Cannot agree with you more!  Our kids are both now being homeschooled due to the international school switching to Zoom.  If they / we are lucky they get 20 minutes a day with their teacher and then the school expects us to spend all day going over work and websites for our kids; somedays they don't even get 20 minutes with they teacher .... instead get 20 minutes doing PE with the PE teacher.  What a crock!  And for all this they offered us a 70 baht a day refund per child, but .... really its credit to be used against tuition next year!  And its just pointless to argue with them, trust me I have tried over and over.  

We went from a full day, 5 days a week of teaching to at best a 1.5 hours a week with their teachers .... and they offered us 70 baht a day refund and acted like it was a heroic gesture on their part.

I certainly don't blame the teachers, they are trying and continue to be great, but the school's administration ..... a joke.

(I wonder how many school administrators will be looking at my last name now to see which parent I am ... laugh!)