Power outages - need emergency light

Speedo1968

The power outages in the area I live in have increased year on year, sometimes you hear a transformer blow.
The repair service seem to respond fairy quickly so for that I am grateful.

I live in a smallish house, one of 5 in a locally owned compound, longtime owners live in one of the houses.

I would like to buy an emergency light for the lounge ( night time ) that comes on if there is a loss of power.
I had one before but battery failed after a year.

Can anyone recommend a good brand and where to buy, the nearest town to me is Khon Kaen, price not important reliability is ?

• Like 1

just make sure the rechargable units are not NiCads... 

- too much downtime, as you have to wait till they have neared Empty before recharging 

- you cant leave them forever sitting on the Charge either, as it eventually kills NiCads too  

We have all solar lights around the house, and a few on the inside of the house. 

The ones on the inside have a little remote control so they are off all the time until there's a power cut, then we flip them on. Very bright, multiple settings for the brightness, and last at least 12 hours. 

All bought on Lazada. 

These exact ones and they are very popular. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/hot-spot-45w-solar-lights-waterproof-spotlight-solar-cell-solar-powered-outdoor-waterproof-remote-control-light-remote-control-safety-floodlight-i402528937-s781746098.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.a763e6feBrVE6O&search=1

• Like 1

The hallway has a light-bulb wth built in battery, it operates normal by the switch and if the power shuts off (but the switch closed) it will still light for hours.

To get the idea about it check

At Shopee : here and at Lazada : here

Outside at the gate we have a small solarpanel with led lights that light up from dusk till dawn.

Under each worktable, in the helmet space of the scooter, and at the front door we have a torch. (???? )

On 5/18/2020 at 2:23 PM, Speedo1968 said:

I would like to buy an emergency light for the lounge ( night time ) that comes on if there is a loss of power.
I had one before but battery failed after a year.

Then why buy a complete new one?

Just changing the battery for a good one should be enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

You can run most of your electronics off one of these at 4KBht

https://shopee.co.th/product/113036535/7232751970

(excluding kitchen, air-con and water heaters)

Do you have this one?

If yes;

Can the battery charge and cut off voltage preset?

LifePo4, that I want use, has different voltage points compared with lead and gel, and this Suoer is made for... ?

Useful communication ports? In the description it says optional, but in what sense.

BTW. If it's pure sine wave and 1000w , I don't see any problem using it with a 9k inverter aircon.. do you?

I'm currently running 12K aircon, TV, PC, with the fans and the fridge spinning.

image.png.d8daca99c3ccf538069cb06166711dac.png

15 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

BTW. If it's pure sine wave and 1000w , I don't see any problem using it with a 9k inverter aircon.. do you?

Assume any solar device advertised will go up in flames if you run it anywhere near the full output for more than 5 minutes. If I wanted to run air-con, I'd buy this one for 7kBht.

https://shopee.co.th/Hybrid-off-grid-solar-Inverter-ไฮบริด-ออฟกริด-อินเวอร์เตอร์-3000VA-2400W-24V-Chager-50A-i.113036535.3533944346

And the batteries will kill you, to run air-con you'll probably need 100ah for 60-90 minutes.

4 batteries = 20kBht.

Edited by BritManToo

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Speedo, why not get solar? Easy we are in your area, and yes far too many power outages.

In our bedroom, and also where we sit/eat outside under the house, we have solar lights, work fine.

Thanks colinneil.
Just looking for something simple that I could take from lounge to bedroom or bathroom.

The area around my house ( but not my house ) flooded last September, 2 metre high just 200 metres away and power was off for 3 days.

The emergency light I had was fine except the battery didn't last.

Will see if I can cadge a lift to Global.

9 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Thanks colinneil.
Just looking for something simple that I could take from lounge to bedroom or bathroom.

The area around my house ( but not my house ) flooded last September, 2 metre high just 200 metres away and power was off for 3 days.

The emergency light I had was fine except the battery didn't last.

Will see if I can cadge a lift to Global.

The lights i am talking about are simple mate.

50 WATT BULB in the bedroom, cable going out  through the window, small solar panel 300mill x 240mill on the wall, easy, nothing fancy, elaborate, takes 2 minutes to set up.

Have a look at Lazada, they have many different ones.

Edited by colinneil

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

The lights i am talking about are simple mate.

50 WATT BULB in the bedroom, cable going out  through the window, small solar panel 300mill x 240mill on the wall, easy, nothing fancy, elaborate, takes 2 minutes to set up.

I think colin is talking about this, cheap at under 500 baht.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/kerry-solar-light-50w-60w-120w-0-i717916152-s1374562617.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.27.3b19333cRvPrnK&search=1

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Spot on Charlie, not expensive and ideal when there is a power cut, which happens here to frequently.

Edited by colinneil
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 10:23 PM, Speedo1968 said:

Can anyone recommend a good brand and where to buy, the nearest town to me is Khon Kaen, price not important reliability is ?

Walk into HomePro and buy some of those plug-in portable ones, about 2,000 baht each, a few years back.

When the power is off you can also charge your mobile off of the device, they last for a good 8 hours, we have about 5 of them, like you said price is not important, reliability is.

We have a fixed to the wall one, which is plugged in all the time, when the power goes off, it lights the place up.

The Panasonic cool daylight ones we only plug in when we go to bed, you can have them on high or low light, we also get those blackouts, makes me think some old guy in the village standing at the mains, ready to turn the power off when the wind picks up or there is some thunder/lightening.

It's one thing I hate about living in the village, rain season, hot/humid, air cons running then boooom, power is out....lol

Edited by 4MyEgo