Mystery creature?

solomon david

Funny as normally thats what I overhear Thais say when I'm near. 'Toa arai wa.' What creature/animal is this?! Now, if they call you 'monitor lizard' in Thai, that might a bit more concerning.

Take away point is, they can call each other 'monitor lizards' but don't you ever do it. ???? That is the button. ????????

• Like 2

Have seen these on the streets near khlongs in Bangkok.

There used to be a family of 3 at the back of a hotel in Happyland, the khlong was cleaned ( wasn't really dirty if the monitors could live there ! ) and the water monitors disappeared.

Commonly known as “ hia “ and, as stated, a good name to call someone you don’t like but DO be prepared to run !!

Usually see one or two on our daily walks round a nearby lake, I like’em !!...... but couldn’t eat a whole one !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, solomon david said:

As it got nearer it was like some sort of small crocodile or alligator kind of thing maybe 6 feet long and had snake like fangs

Either it wasn't a water monitor or it didn't have "fangs"!   Maybe you're referring to it's snake-like forked tongue?

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, solomon david said:

Looked fairly benign but was still glad I waS on the bridge rather than in the river when it swam past

They tend to get away as fast as possible when they see you.  I would imagine a nasty bite or similar if you crept up and tried to cuddle one though. They do serve a good purpose in getting rid of other dead smelly animals. Natures 'bin-men'

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 3:06 PM, overherebc said:

I would imagine a nasty bite or similar if you crept up and tried to cuddle one

They use their tail like a bull whip, seen a small one being annoyed by a few puppies, it carried on walking slowly, whipping its tail at them.

• Like 1