Trump says he is taking hydroxychloroquine as hedge against virus

webfact

8 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30296-6/fulltext

The lancet would disagree that it has proven effective as a prophylaxis for covid-19 in this report. Full of ‘mays’ and ‘mights’. 

Do you have a more up to date clinical study on its effectiveness as a prophylaxis?

The paper, thank you, from mid April says nothing except that studies have not been done yet. (However, no studies have evaluated the use of chloroquine for prophylaxis.). Otherwise they favourably endorse the idea. Now, there are several studied under way and a substantial number of medical personnel are using it as prophylactic, some in these studies.

The bigger problem with the paper is they forgot the zinc. This is true for most work published a month or more ago. Several recent publications are suggesting zinc needs to be included or even added to ongoing studies.

2 minutes ago, rabas said:

The paper, thank you, from mid April says nothing except that studies have not been done yet. (However, no studies have evaluated the use of chloroquine for prophylaxis.). Otherwise they favourably endorse the idea. Now, there are several studied under way and a substantial number of medical personnel are using it as prophylactic, some in these studies.

The bigger problem with the paper is they forgot the zinc. This is true for most work published a month or more ago. Several recent publications are suggesting zinc needs to be included or even added to ongoing studies.

So no proof it acts as a prophylaxis then.

Thats exactly what I took from the report I read before posting a link to   

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I’d prefer a link to clinical studies rather than YouTube videos.

The ones I am finding are saying there is no proof it acts as a prophylaxis but that it might. 

The clinical studies are in the Youtube video. I'm not going to click the link for you so don't come back and complain that I should have.

7 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

The clinical studies are in the Youtube video. I'm not going to click the link for you so don't come back and complain that I should have.

In that case, I’ll keep to the view I’ve gained from reading the reports on there is no proof it acts as a prophylaxis.

Shame really, because it would be great if there was proof it works as a prophylaxis 

Edited by Bluespunk

6 hours ago, webfact said:

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he is taking hydroxychloroquine, a malaria drug that he has touted despite medical warnings about its use, as a preventive medicine against the coronavirus.

"I've been taking it for the last week and a half. A pill every day," Trump told reporters.

Donald should recommend that his entire staff take hydroxychloroquine so that masks are no longer required at the White House. Maybe all the Republican Senators can follow along to keep the Senate in session so they can continue installing the "right" federal judges. Then it can continue that all of Donald's followers are recommended to take hydroxychloroquine as well to ensure they will survive the COVID-19 Democratic Hoax.

• Haha 2

Just now, lannarebirth said:

That is your prerogative.

It’s based on the research I’ve done, which is limited I’ll admit.

Shame really because I, like all of us I imagine, want there to be an effective prophylaxis. 

Just now, Silurian said:

Donald should recommend that his entire staff take hydroxychloroquine so that masks are no longer required at the White House. Maybe all the Republican Senators can follow along to keep the Senate in session so they can continue installing the "right" federal judges. Then it can continue that all of Donald's followers are recommended to take hydroxychloroquine as well to ensure they will survive the COVID-19 Democratic Hoax.

If taking hydroxychloroquine would allow for surviving the Democrat's hoax, even I might take it. Don't you people ever grok you keep getting pushed deeper into the cornerof bad and worse and more worse and worse still?

• Confused 3

57 minutes ago, rabas said:

No its from the US Government National Poison Data System and ARS science website.

Maybe more relevant for you:

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.”

– Mark Twain.

True. Just fool em and move on.

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

It’s based on the research I’ve done, which is limited I’ll admit.

Shame really because I, like all of us I imagine, want there to be an effective prophylaxis. 

You don't have to follow the link I gave, but I would say, as opposed to your limited research, mine has been extensive.

29 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Donna Brazil extreme left, lol.

You mean like CNN had lewandowski as a political analyst?

Also your other statements are incorrect.

Actually I for one agree with his response which actually contained some facts and specific instances, unlike “ Also your other statements are incorrectly” which was your witty  academic response.

Edited by CaptRon2
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Really, because I’m watching the news right now and every doctor and medical expert on it is saying there is no proof it acts as a prophylaxis and has serious potential side effects. 

I’m thinking they have done their research eh. 

It has EXTREMELY serious side effects if introduced to a patient with comorbidities or is in a more advanced stage of CV 19.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GalaxyMan said:

The VA said that their trials with it resulted in more people dying who took it than those who didn't. That's the VA, too, experimenting on American veterans, and killing them, just because Trump said it works. ????

The VA didn't conduct a trial. A couple of ophthalmologists with questionable motives reviewed some charts and posted online a non-peer reviewed article (essentially an opinion piece) that has been since heavily criticized. The media hyped the story because they know the religious fervor with which the "orange man bad" club consumes any negative information about the evil orange man.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/dr-stephen-smith-study-hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-treatment

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/04/08/fact-check-did-michigan-dem-credit-trump-her-covid-19-recovery/2967210001/

LA doctor talking success of hydroxychloroquine: 

22 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

In that case, I’ll keep to the view I’ve gained from reading the reports on there is no proof it acts as a prophylaxis.

Shame really, because it would be great if there was proof it works as a prophylaxis 

Lots of evidence but I don't think that is what you are after.

Scientific evidence - Wikipedia

While the phrase "scientific proof" is often used in the popular media, many scientists have argued that there is really no such thing. Karl Popper once wrote that "In the empirical sciences, which alone can furnish us with information about the world we live in, proofs do not occur. Albert Einstein said:

"... For Nature, or more precisely experiment, is an inexorable and not very friendly judge of his work. It never says "Yes" to a theory. In the most favorable cases it says "Maybe"

Just now, rabas said:

Lots of evidence but I don't think that is what you are after.

Scientific evidence - Wikipedia

While the phrase "scientific proof" is often used in the popular media, many scientists have argued that there is really no such thing. Karl Popper once wrote that "In the empirical sciences, which alone can furnish us with information about the world we live in, proofs do not occur. Albert Einstein said:

"... For Nature, or more precisely experiment, is an inexorable and not very friendly judge of his work. It never says "Yes" to a theory. In the most favorable cases it says "Maybe"

Wikipedia. Enough said. 

6 minutes ago, rabas said:

Good idea, base your thinking on assuming Einstein was wrong.

No, in my reply to your post I’m just making clear my view on Wikipedia. 

Links to clinical studies more recent than five or six weeks ago (as you seem to believe April is too old to be considered recent) proving that hcq works as a prophylaxis please. 

Edited by Bluespunk