Home style Bacon......yummo!

On 5/19/2020 at 6:18 AM, stephenterry said:

I see a few posters are on their way to an early heart attack from blocked arteries. Advise an immediate ECG. 

Having it served to you in bed by a 20 something sweet girl is a nice enough way to go

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, vogie said:

There is nothing better than getting out of bed in the morning with a strong smell of bacon wafting around the house, conversely there is nothing worse than getting up in the morning with a strong smell of fish, and the smell has a habit of lingering.

Wait till the dried fish makes an appearance, it gives me the extra boost to get in the car and go

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

Google ‘Home Made Cumberland Sausage’. Add or takeaway any spices or herbs. I added some chilli flakes. Good Lick.

Chilli flakes! ????  There is no way I could eat that!  Anything more than a mild curry is verboten to me.

On 5/22/2020 at 7:59 AM, KarenBravo said:

Sorry, I tend to believe professional health experts over some anonymous person on an internet forum.

There seems to be an infestation of proselytizing Vegans on this forum lately.

Protein is overrated. By following a whole food plant based lifestyle, you will provide your body with all the protein you need - and would (scientifically proven) to reverse diabetes 2 as well. While meat protein is absorbed quicker, it's not essential. I'm sorry to hear about your gallstones, it was an unnecessary operation, IMO.   

Soy products such as tofu, tempeh, and edamame are among the richest sources of protein in a vegan diet. ... Lentils. ... Chickpeas. ... Peanuts. ... Almonds. ... Spirulina. ... Quinoa. ... Mycoprotein.

A study published in the British Medical Journal in 1985 reported that meat-eaters are twice as likely to develop gallstones as vegetarians (Pixley et al., 1985). Since then the low incidence of gallstones in vegetarians compared to meat-eaters has been reported (Key et al., 1999).

This is the 'professional health experts' science. Perhaps you could do a little research before jumping in with inane comments. And or your information, I'm not a Vegan - I follow a WFPB lifestyle. 

Edited by stephenterry
correction

22 hours ago, UbonThani said:

plants cause gallstones

A study published in the British Medical Journal in 1985 reported that meat-eaters are twice as likely to develop gallstones as vegetarians (Pixley et al., 1985). Since then the low incidence of gallstones in vegetarians compared to meat-eaters has been consistently reported (Key et al., 1999).

12 hours ago, scorecard said:

My old dad used to go out to the bush and shoot wild pig (usually quite big and dangerous), only 1 animal, cut off what meat he wanted to make bacon and leave the rest on the ground for the birds of prey. He had several old stainless steel drums to cure it in, usually in the curing mix about a month.

My mum would cook it in strips for breakfast and in bigger thick lumps to cut into slices when cold and make sandwiches with mustard, bread home made daily in a wood fired old kitchen stove. Great for breakfast and great as a school lunch. 

Crikey, you nearly bought a tear to my eye thinking of my youth!   In a rack near the back door there was a Winchester short .22 auto,  a Brno .22 bolt action, 2 x 12 gauge doubles and 2 x .303 Sporters converted from SMLE's...plus locked away in a safe place a SMLE used for competition.  The old man had a  collection of spoons and medals from far and wide for his shooting prowess which shared mums fine china display cupboard.  The simple life is no more.

• Like 1

Here's one from a Vegan site.

https://veganhealth.org/gallstone-disease-in-vegetarians/

Another one that claims eating lots of fibre lowers gall-stone rates in women, not men.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6412457/

Here's one that actually claims that long term vegetarianism actually promotes gall-stones.

http://www.bjreview.com/health/txt/2010-01/26/content_242279.htm

Edited by KarenBravo

24 minutes ago, remobb said:

Hi Grumpy. Would love your recipe and how to make this bacon. I too like you don't like fatty bacon.

Looks scrumptious mate.

Hope to have a reply soon.

I added Pink salt to get a more bacon like colour.  One teaspoon Pink Salt, one tablespoon of regular salt and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar for 1kg.  Rub all over the meat, put in zip lock bag.   Put in fridge for 7 days,  turn over daily.  Day 8 pull out of bag and wash off.  Dry with paper towel.  Stick in the BBQ and cook for 1.5 to 2.O hours. I  been using a bit of fresh cut Tamarind wood to generate some smoke over some charcoal for heat.  2.O hours is tops for my little charcoal burner. Have fun with it! 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

A study published in the British Medical Journal in 1985 reported that meat-eaters are twice as likely to develop gallstones as vegetarians (Pixley et al., 1985). Since then the low incidence of gallstones in vegetarians compared to meat-eaters has been consistently reported (Key et al., 1999).

Yes of course. as they include processed meat in the mix. Hamburgers, hot dogs, all that muck... quite often mixed with noxious chemicals and sugar. The "twice as likely" still means a relatively low occurrence of gall stones  AND  many people have cured their gallstones through eating uniquely carnivore. Try, amongst others, https://www.dietdoctor.com/gallstones-and-low-carb

Consistently reported by organisations with close relationships with the food industry which prefers us to eat multi-processed , sterilised and poisoned vegetable diets (think Monsanto, pesticides, etc).

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 10:49 AM, vogie said:

There is nothing better than getting out of bed in the morning with a strong smell of bacon wafting around the house, conversely there is nothing worse than getting up in the morning with a strong smell of fish, and the smell has a habit of lingering.

But what about kippers?

• Like 1

I see a few posters are on their way to an early heart attack from blocked arteries. Advise an immediate ECG. 

Wolf, wolf!!  The sky is falling. The sky is falling. We're all going to DIE!!!

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2020 at 5:23 PM, IsaanAussie said:

Hey GJ,

Tried a black pepper and molasses dry cured bacon? Great stuff. Ingredients pepper. molasses, sugar and salt. You don't need the pink salt. I have recipes (on a remote drive somewhere) for farm made sausages western and some Isaan ones. You will need a mincer and spout. I buy salted pig intestines (skins) by the kilogram at an old style Thai general store. 

If you are interested in the recipes, let me know and I will try to find the drive. We should start a pinned thread on farm produce and recipes.

What area are you? The Thai general store? Where? I've brought natural skins from UK and NZ but you can buy them in Bangkok from a main suppler. I haven't because the quantity you have to buy is too much for my requirements.

• Like 1

A lot off people say that about a lot off different food. If one Listens to all the BS what one can eat one will starve to dead . You Only live Once one doesn't know if one dies at  80 or 85 . you be dead once's you dead it Doesn't matter if it's 80 or 85. ????

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 5:28 AM, Grumpy John said:

I have never had a problem with Brussel Sprouts.  My mum had a way of cooking them which made them tasty.

chilled brussel sprout soup is delicious too!

• Like 1

I have been making my own bacon, unsmoked ham and sausages for a few years now and I reckon that I should be good for a few years.

My mum used to cook bacon and eggs, 25 years in the military I used to eat them all the time. My first wife cooked them once a week but now I cook them myself.

14 years ago I had 2 stents put in.

BTW I am 76 and still going fairly well.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2020 at 5:23 PM, IsaanAussie said:

Hey GJ,

Tried a black pepper and molasses dry cured bacon? Great stuff. Ingredients pepper. molasses, sugar and salt. You don't need the pink salt. I have recipes (on a remote drive somewhere) for farm made sausages western and some Isaan ones. You will need a mincer and spout. I buy salted pig intestines (skins) by the kilogram at an old style Thai general store. 

If you are interested in the recipes, let me know and I will try to find the drive. We should start a pinned thread on farm produce and recipes.

I have a few recipes as well.

On 5/20/2020 at 8:36 AM, IsaanAussie said:

No packaging, just a bag of salt with the skins in it. Buy by the kilogram from memory. Take as many as you need and soak them in water to remove the salt. 

The ones I used to get from Makro were a PITA. I used to thaw the lot out and they came out looking like a rats nest. I used chopsticks cut in half, picked an end and untangled it, wound it around the chopstick  and cling filmed it, I put I think 3 of them into a Ziploc bag and refroze them.

1 hour ago, Gandtee said:

What area are you? The Thai general store? Where? I've brought natural skins from UK and NZ but you can buy them in Bangkok from a main suppler. I haven't because the quantity you have to buy is too much for my requirements.

Makro used to sell them but that was a few years ago.

1 hour ago, Gandtee said:

Our local wet market sells fresh untreated 50 baht a kilo. Treated and salted 250 baht a kilo.