Home style Bacon......yummo!

On 5/19/2020 at 6:47 AM, vogie said:

Nothing better than homemade bacon in homemade bread with lashings of New Zealand butter............breakfast time.

Possibly the greatest smell known to mankind (a certain religious group excepted) is the smell of bacon cooking in the open air in the morning. Orgasmic, almost.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Haha 2

On 5/18/2020 at 11:50 PM, Grumpy John said:

Up at Big C they used to have bacon, average quality, but the last few times I couldn't get any.

Its been a couple of years since I was down that way and Yorkies may have gone but I got some decent bacon at a little bakery up by Mabprachan lake - about half way round and hang a right, the road that goes to highway 36. I believe its the 3240 and its in a parade of about 6 old shophouses on the left hand side.

On 5/20/2020 at 5:28 AM, Grumpy John said:

I have never had a problem with Brussel Sprouts.  My mum had a way of cooking them which made them tasty.

Back home, we never picked our sprouts in the garden "until they had their first touch of frost" the then tasted very good, bit difficult to wait for first frost here!!!

p.s. Home was "Bonnie Scotland"

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 12:28 PM, digger70 said:

A lot off people say that about a lot off different food. If one Listens to all the BS what one can eat one will starve to dead . You Only live Once one doesn't know if one dies at  80 or 85 . you be dead once's you dead it Doesn't matter if it's 80 or 85. ????

It's the quality of life that matters. Why spend several miserable years depending on meds to live out your days?   

• Like 2

On 5/23/2020 at 1:33 PM, billd766 said:

I have been making my own bacon, unsmoked ham and sausages for a few years now and I reckon that I should be good for a few years.

My mum used to cook bacon and eggs, 25 years in the military I used to eat them all the time. My first wife cooked them once a week but now I cook them myself.

14 years ago I had 2 stents put in.

BTW I am 76 and still going fairly well.

The reason you had stents put in to your arteries, Bill, was that they became clogged from (mainly) consuming processed meat products over the years. It's a slow disease, that's why people ignore the symptoms. By continuing your same eating habits there is a high risk of a similar heart attack.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/23/2020 at 10:06 AM, cooked said:

Consistently reported by organisations with close relationships with the food industry which prefers us to eat multi-processed , sterilised and poisoned vegetable diets (think Monsanto, pesticides, etc).

Yes, another example of highly processed junk foods. I don't touch them, by sticking to my whole food, plant based lifestyle. 

• Sad 2

While I  am opposed to the consumption of Western style fast food and processed nibbles I do from time to time indulge in said fast foods from time to time.  But not MacDonalds or KFC,  more Spiro and Cons fine take away.  Their real,  but I haven't seen them for 4 years.   The problem in Melbourne Australia is all the Spiro & Con take away places are being sold to Chinese interests...who don't seem to have the same knowledge as the Greeks in the fine art of take away.  Luckily on my return to my ancesteral home,  Cairns,  I  can indulge In a hamburger with the lot that comes close to the endering taste of a Spiro made one with the lot....20 cents extra for pineapple ring.  Ah the old days! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, billd766 said:

Now I eat bacon and egg perhaps once a week, mainly at lunch to make a change from sandwiches on home made rolls.

I have been on meds for the last 14 years but they certainly haven't been miserable ones. I have had the joy of watching and helping my second son to grow up, the joy of being with my second wife through 20 years of marriage, the enjoyment of good friends both Thai and farang.

It has been a great 76 years and I am looking forward to a telegram from King William V delivered by a telegram messenger boy on his BSA 125 cc Bantam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telegram_messenger

BSA_Bantam_D1_early.jpg

Man oh man!  That looks a lot like my first Bantam!   All it requires to be like mine is a total rust job,  a smashed glass in the headlight, tears and cracks in the seat, bald tyres and dint in the fuel tank.  Hey,  I  was 14 with a part time job that paid Jack and the only other money I  got was 10 bob on my birthday From grandpa and a quid from Aunty Mary at Christmas.  I did get lucky about 6 months later when cousin Ricky gave me his Bantam which was run down but still good for a Bantam.  Ricky had saved enough for a new BSA 650...lucky Ricky! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Man oh man!  That looks a lot like my first Bantam!   All it requires to be like mine is a total rust job,  a smashed glass in the headlight, tears and cracks in the seat, bald tyres and dint in the fuel tank.  Hey,  I  was 14 with a part time job that paid Jack and the only other money I  got was 10 bob on my birthday From grandpa and a quid from Aunty Mary at Christmas.  I did get lucky about 6 months later when cousin Ricky gave me his Bantam which was run down but still good for a Bantam.  Ricky had saved enough for a new BSA 650...lucky Ricky! 

Lucky Ricky. Gold Flash or Gold Star I wonder?

3 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Lucky Ricky. Gold Flash or Gold Star I wonder?

Probably an A10 Gold Flash,the Gold Star was a 500cc single cylinder a could be tuned,the  DB34 was the mutts nuts ,and made a good race bike, known as a clubman's bike. 

2 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

Lightning from memory.  Heck of a jump from a tweaked 150 to a top level 650!

Due to starting a family, I went from a Lambretta to a Triumph Thunderbird 6T But it did have a chair on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The angst of the young family man.  I vaguely remember when dad had a Panther with a chair.  My older brother rode pillion and I  had to share the chair with mother.  A year or so later an Oldsmobile Sedan turned up so the chair got retired to the retired motorbike shed.  Then a couple of years later so to the Panther when it proved less ideal as a farm bike.  Old Bantams proved the most useful for farm work.  Strange isn't it.... Dads last bike was one of the first batch of Honda 90 ag bikes which has a lot in common with my current farm bike a Suzuki Smash 110cc!

Edited by Grumpy John
Smelling

4 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

I’ve got a Fiat Spider 2000. Soft Top. 1980. I take it out on a Sunday morning after a Bacon and Egg breakfast.

Talk about off topic.

About as far from farming as you can get ,But, I still miss my Triumph T100R sold it when I got married ,brought a TV B/W, and table and chairs with the proceeds, would I have done that now(sold the bike) ,the jury is still out .  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kickstart said:

About as far from farming as you can get ,But, I still miss my Triumph T100R sold it when I got married ,brought a TV B/W, and table and chairs with the proceeds, would I have done that now(sold the bike) ,the jury is still out .  

The way things are at the moment here I can’t see me driving it this year in Italy.

14 minutes ago, kickstart said:

If you eat dinner on that table a farmer put it there.  Well,  maybe your wife cooked it a bit but without that farmer you would be eating berries out in the woods! So something slightly off topic is OK with me.  I know I have occasionally gone off topic.  ???? My problem is I loose track of what the thread was about if the thread is very long.  I recently sold my Suzuki GSX-1000R back in Oz.  There was no way I could get it on the road here in Thailand so finally I relented and gave my son permission to sell. Now I  have officially retired, 555, I won't be returning to Oz every 4 months as the family business is finished...the son has a shop fitting job and makes a ton of money.  I don't think he will go back to cabinet making.  Anyway all this typing is making me hungry.  I just asked the wife to go make me a bacon and egg roll but apparently I  can wait till 6.30 pm when dinner is served.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Untill this coronavirus pandemic is over I've decided to stop curing my own bacon, watching people handling all the belly pork is too much to bare. So I buy my sausage and bacon at Makro, it is 280ish baht for 1kg, which is not too bad but it does contain quite a bit of water.

However it still tastes very good in my homemade bread, after it has shrunk that is (the bacon, not the bread)????

Just making myself a sausage sandwich in my own homemade bread, 2 small loaves at the front and 3 large at the back, will last me a couple of weeks.

IMG_20200525_170908.jpg

And his bread is very good as he sent me the recipe several years ago and I use it for bread rolls mainly now.

• Like 1

Thought I would give bacon a go. Got 2kg belly from the market @ Bht 140 / kg. After reading loads of recipes on You Tube decided I would make Thai bacon so rubbed in Sea salt and Sweet Chilli Sauce, which is basically sugar, chillis & garlic. In a sealable bag for 7 days in the fridge, dried for 2 days, then smoked in my normal oven for 4 hours with home-made tamarind wood chips. What can I say...............effin' marvellous.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2020 at 6:44 PM, billd766 said:

And his bread is very good as he sent me the recipe several years ago and I use it for bread rolls mainly now.

Please re-post the recipe. My bread always turns out very heavy.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Please re-post the recipe. My bread always turns out very heavy.

Stouricks are you using a bread machine to make your bread, IMO machines make ok bread (awaits a roasting from britman2) and that's is a far has it goes. My stand mixer made better bread and I could make more loaves and freeze them to last a couple of weeks. But it gave up the ghost a few months ago and I found a video on youtube of a guy making bread from start to finish, it involves hand kneeding for 8 minutes, but the little extra work is well worth the effort. And to keep on topic, your homemade bacon sandwiches will never taste better.

The video is well worth watching, it will only take up 30 minutes of your time.

Edited by vogie
  • Like 1