Home style Bacon......yummo!

On 5/27/2020 at 5:05 PM, vogie said:

Untill this coronavirus pandemic is over I've decided to stop curing my own bacon, watching people handling all the belly pork is too much to bare. So I buy my sausage and bacon at Makro, it is 280ish baht for 1kg, which is not too bad but it does contain quite a bit of water.

However it still tastes very good in my homemade bread, after it has shrunk that is (the bacon, not the bread)????

Just making myself a sausage sandwich in my own homemade bread, 2 small loaves at the front and 3 large at the back, will last me a couple of weeks.

IMG_20200525_170908.jpg

That bread looks delicious, going to give your recipe a go soon.

Do you store the bread in the freezer after, if so any recommendations for defrosting ?

44 minutes ago, Bangkokhatter said:

That bread looks delicious, going to give your recipe a go soon.

Do you store the bread in the freezer after, if so any recommendations for defrosting ?

Thanks, I make 5 loaves and let them cool, put into plastic bags and then freeze, as I when required take one out of the freezer and let defrost for about 15 minutes (it doesn't really matter how long you defrost it for), cut off as many slices as needed then back into the bag and refreeze, the bread always comes out of the freezer nearly as fresh as when you put it in. Use the thin plastic bags rather than the thick ones, I find it will exhaust more of the air around the bread.

Incidentally I use the recipe that goes with the video, Bill is the expert using wholewheat flour.

Good luck.????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2020 at 1:31 PM, billd766 said:

I use a stand mixer for the dough, a digital scale and aboutish for the measurements.

I bake it in a tabletop oven that I bought from Makro.

whole wheat bread rolls v06a.docx 12.64 kB · 3 downloads

Your being generous calling it a table top oven if it's the same as we have.  Dam thing is only 3 years old and the timer has ceased to function and the temperature can only get to 170C despite the dial going to 250C.  We bought a temperature gauge to check it was working after having batches of muffins or block cakes not cooking in the allowed time. We got another 10C using alloy foil on the glass.  Before it was only getting to 160C. 

IMG20200602170646.jpg

Edited by Grumpy John
Smelling
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

Your being generous calling it a table top oven if it's the same as we have.  Dam thing is only 3 years old and the timer has ceased to function and the temperature can only get to 170C despite the dial going to 250C.  We bought a temperature gauge to check it was working after having batches of muffins or block cakes not cooking in the allowed time. We got another 10C using alloy foil on the glass.  Before it was only getting to 160C. 

IMG20200602170646.jpg

Mine is only a couple of years old so I may have this to look forward to.

I use it for baking, roasting pork, beef and lamb and even as a toaster, as my toaster has gone to the home of all missing things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, stouricks said:

A digital scale in order to guess the measurements?   LOL

Nah. When I make the dough I put about 700 gm of bread flour and 200 gm of rye flour. 10 or 20 grams either way doesn't make that much difference, but 50 or 100 gm does.

• Like 2

"as my toaster has gone to the home of all missing things."  Bit like my shed!  I bought 2 x electronic timer switches last year....gone now.  I had a bag of 6mm rivnuts bought January....gone now!  If we were in Ireland we could at least blame the Leprechauns!  ????

• Like 1

Todays output of tender tasty bacon.  The bigger one is wrapped for a short stay in the freezer compartment of the upstairs fridge  and the smaller one waiting to be wrapped gets immediate usage come tomorrow breakfast time. Used a bit less salt this time and it's noticeable with a taste test! Added some fresh cut Moringa Oleifera branch to add a bit of smoke.  Not as smokey as Tamerind.

IMG20200609135119.jpg

• Like 2