Thailand No 1 exporter of computers, components in Asean

webfact

By THE NATION

800_b5c247950ca03e3.jpeg?v=1589849754

Thai exports of computers and components in the first quarter of 2020 rose to nearly $4 billion (Bt128 billion), placing it at the top among Asean nations, said Department of Trade Negotiations director-general Auramon Supthaweethum.

“Rising demand for computers and related components came from increasing online activities amid the Covid-19 lockdown worldwide. Last year, Thailand ranked 6th globally in computer exports, after China, the European Union, the United States, Mexico and Hong Kong and the kingdom was the top exporter in Asean,” she said on Monday (May 18).

“From January to the end of March, we exported more than $3.94 billion worth of computers and components mainly to the US (37 per cent), Hong Kong (16 per cent), Asean (14 per cent), the EU (14 per cent) and China (11 per cent),” she said. “Compared year on year, computer and component exports expanded by 14 per cent. Hard-disk drives saw the greatest expansion of 23 per cent, with the total export value being $2.96 billion.”

Thailand is the second-biggest hard-disk drive exporter after China.

“The free trade agreement [FTA] is another reason that has helped promote Thai exports,” Auramon added. “Thailand has signed FTAs with 18 countries and joined the World Trade Organisation under the Information Technology Agreement that allows tariff-free exports of IT-related products to more than 50 member nations.”

The investment value in computer and electronic manufacturing industries in Thailand is currently $18.17 billion, with these industries having generated more than 300,000 jobs.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388093

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-19

It's a good thing they used the "ASEAN" numbers and not the "ASIA" numbers......I think Taiwan would make all of their #'s look minuscule for sure!!! lol lol lol !!!

Edited by mushroomdave

58 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I remember when Seagate started having "Made in Thailand" stickers. It was exactly the same time they started to break within a few months. WD doesn't have the same problem so I moved on.

Interesting. I have decided vice versa ???? : my rather new WD HDD was broken (made in Malaysia) - so I had to restore the photo archive by a special program.

That's why I moved to Seagate (because I have another old Seagate HDD still ok). 

So I have bought Seagate and it is assembled in Thailand.

IMG_20200519_112055.jpg

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Exporter.... shame they don't own the company, just the usual slave labour for other countries.

Thailand claiming again to be the best at something when they are just a pawn.

• Like 1

lot have factory and manufactory but were can buy cheap factory prize harddisk,display cards, notebook,if looking ewery shop all notebook and parts have ower price lot

newer normal human not buy thai prize anythink. only big idiot buy ower price.

4 hours ago, hugolars said:

These computer parts are hardly Thai inventions. It's international companies opening factories in countries with cheap labor so there is nothing "Thai" about this industry. Ridiculous low quality article. 

To true here in Lopburi we have Mini Bear ,they make all parts for computers and now parts for I phones ,they work 24 hours  3 shift system I am 40 km from there  factory ,and buses pick up workers from all over this area a big employer in the area if they ever stopped production it would hurt the whole area.   

The parent company is Japanese , they pay a fair wage, you know when the  shift is  changing ,you see all the workers in they gray uniform waiting at lane ends for they bus to pick them up     

Thailand’s very well placed as a manufacturer of high tech electronic goods, as countries move away from dependence on China as a source. Good infrastructure, already a huge industrial base, as anyone who’s caught the bus from Bangkok to Pattaya and glanced out the window can verify. Ten years from now, Thailand’s economy could be stronger than it would have been if the China virus had never happened.

5 hours ago, hugolars said:

These computer parts are hardly Thai inventions. It's international companies opening factories in countries with cheap labor so there is nothing "Thai" about this industry. Ridiculous low quality article. 

Why does it matter?

Most business is multinational these days. 

It is much better than all 'made in China'. 

• Like 1