BANGKOK
1arry1iu

Primary schools in Chiang Mai - our experience

47 minutes ago, 1arry1iu said:

but will never pay the outrageously overpriced THB 500,000+ for something that is barely international and remotely education.

You could go to Prem if that's your budget, or to CMIS for 70% of that.

What do you expect from a Thai school? they'll all be awful. And most International Schools here are just one notch better than "awful".

14 minutes ago, XGM said:

most International Schools here are just one notch better than "awful".

Not that bad

But of course US public schools are great

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Not that bad

But of course US public schools are great

A private school has a much higher budget and flexibility that allow it to really be great. A public school is limited in many ways. The correct comparison should be private schools here and there, not private Intl' school in Thailand where parents pay $10,000 - $30,000 a year to a US public school.

1 hour ago, XGM said:

A private school has a much higher budget and flexibility that allow it to really be great. A public school is limited in many ways. The correct comparison should be private schools here and there, not private Intl' school in Thailand where parents pay $10,000 - $30,000 a year to a US public school.

No total costs should be considered, not just school fees.  Total costs to include food, housing, medical, transport....

Does anyone have an opinion of Unity Concord?

2 hours ago, flare said:

Does anyone have an opinion of Unity Concord?

I think it is run by the same people who run Ambassador. See where the OP rates that school.

14 minutes ago, Throatwobbler said:

I think it is run by the same people who run Ambassador. See where the OP rates that school.

I'm more interested in hearing from someone whose kids actually go there- this likely wasn't the best thread to ask, I suppose...

The Bad

Ambassador Bilingual School was the last school we visited. The Thai teacher in charge was more interested in playing with her phone than receiving us. My wife believed she had judged us by our clothes since we did not dress up properly like many Thai couples would do in such occasions. The Western teacher who showed us around the campus was professional, but not as eager to communicate with my daughter as teachers in other schools. I would guess it was partially due to the formality of the meeting and the authority dynamic she was in with the Thai teacher in charge.

Montfort College Primary Section looked charming from the outside, and we were received by a young lady warmly at Admission. The issues we had with the school is that no literature about their educational programs was provided except a simple advertising leaflet in Thai, English, and Chinese. We asked about the curriculum, textbooks, and a sampler timetable, and they had none. They seemed to have adopted a just-trust-us philosophy. What concerned my wife particularly is how come their sales representative or admission officer did not speak either English or Chinese while apparently quite a number of their students were from China if not the West. We walked out, thinking how this school, or maybe its Secondary Section, could be named in a national ranking.

Wachirawit School was the second school we visited. It lost my wife when we parked in front of the main building facing a river without a fence or wall in between. She asked what if playful children fall into the river by accident. It lost my daughter when we climbed a few dozen staircases into the lobby of the main building where parents stood in a long queue paying their children's tuition. My daughter said, "It looks like a public hospital." It lost me when the female teacher who received us at the Registrar's Office started by showing us a fee schedule, instead of telling us about the programs they offered. Needless to say, they could not show us the curriculum, textbooks, or a sampler timetable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2020 at 9:15 AM, XGM said:

You could go to Prem if that's your budget, or to CMIS for 70% of that.

What do you expect from a Thai school? they'll all be awful. And most International Schools here are just one notch better than "awful".

Thank you, XGM. We are more interested in Thai instead of English programs. We went to Satit Rangsit because I was misinformed and thought bilingual schools should offer Thai programs. 

On 5/19/2020 at 12:39 PM, beau thai said:

we are happy with Sarasas 2 years in but as with any school it is not without criticism. But our lad is happy there and learning. Right now, online!

You probably know that truth is no defence here against defamation and, personally, I would be wary of the criticims ypou posted above. My advice? Take them down.

Thank you, beau thai. We will probably choose Sarasas, too. I am glad your son is loving it, and hope my daughter will love it, too.

As for my post, I have no intention to take it down. Like I said, it is our experience, and not intended to be the truth.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

They're all closed, who knows what like they'll be like if they ever reopen?

My kid goes to San Sai government school, it's supposed to be free but they squeeze everyone for 6,000bht for books, cloths and extra lessons (2x a year).

Edited by BritManToo

We went on a trip last summer and visited a ton of primary schools:

• Chiang Mai International, Varee, ABS, Unity Concord, American Pacific International, Lanna, Chiang Mai Montessori, Sangtit Rangsit

If you want to know more about any of them or our impressions let me know. We too want the Thai system and decided on Varee. We haven’t moved there yet, but plan too later this year if/when things return to normal. Ideally in time for the next semester to start in October. If we stayed long term we would probably switch to Chiang Mai International as we know the American system, but at first we want our kids to have more of a Thai immersion experience.

• Thanks 1

We wanted our kids to learn Thai and so chose Varee. They have the 3 streams, Thai, Bi-lingual and International. 11 years on, there have been issues, but we are still at Varee and happy.

Interested to know why you didn't look at Varee?

• Like 1