BANGKOK
1arry1iu

Primary schools in Chiang Mai - our experience

On 5/20/2020 at 9:57 PM, 1arry1iu said:

The Bad

Wachirawit School was the second school we visited. It lost my wife when we parked in front of the main building facing a river without a fence or wall in between. She asked what if playful children fall into the river by accident. It lost my daughter when we climbed a few dozen staircases into the lobby of the main building where parents stood in a long queue paying their children's tuition. My daughter said, "It looks like a public hospital." It lost me when the female teacher who received us at the Registrar's Office started by showing us a fee schedule, instead of telling us about the programs they offered. Needless to say, they could not show us the curriculum, textbooks, or a sampler timetable.

A few  yrs back my step daughter attended Wachirawit School where  she received    a scholarship and proceeded to the King.s Uni Chiang Rai

where she graduated  with First Class Honours 

With respect  from your posts  .my view  is . that .

you are too picky .

But 

wish your daughter the very best of luck 

Edited by deej
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, deej said:

you are too picky .

But 

He is just demonstrating his genius.

Edited by Dante99

3 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

He is just demonstrating his genius by identifying other's shortcomings.  A favorite TV pass time. 

And clearly  posts such as yours are sadly  bringing  Cmai TV forum to its k.nee.s

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2020 at 3:46 AM, bryan45876 said:

We went on a trip last summer and visited a ton of primary schools:

• Chiang Mai International, Varee, ABS, Unity Concord, American Pacific International, Lanna, Chiang Mai Montessori, Sangtit Rangsit

If you want to know more about any of them or our impressions let me know. We too want the Thai system and decided on Varee. We haven’t moved there yet, but plan too later this year if/when things return to normal. Ideally in time for the next semester to start in October. If we stayed long term we would probably switch to Chiang Mai International as we know the American system, but at first we want our kids to have more of a Thai immersion experience.

Hi Bryan, I would appreciate it if you could share your opinions on Varee. We did not get a chance to visit the school as it was closed due to COVID-19.

On 5/24/2020 at 6:31 AM, iainiain101 said:

We wanted our kids to learn Thai and so chose Varee. They have the 3 streams, Thai, Bi-lingual and International. 11 years on, there have been issues, but we are still at Varee and happy.

Interested to know why you didn't look at Varee?

Thank you, iainiain101. We tried to visit Varee twice, but it was closed due to COVID-19. We will definitely try it again this week.

On 5/24/2020 at 7:45 AM, deej said:

A few  yrs back my step daughter attended Wachirawit School where  she received    a scholarship and proceeded to the King.s Uni Chiang Rai

where she graduated  with First Class Honours 

you are too picky .

But 

Hi deej, glad to hear your daughter has completed her undergraduate studies successfully. We hope our daughter could go to college in China or the United Kingdom, but who knows. It will be her decision any ways. Thank you for sharing, and yes, I am picky.

• Like 2

For our situation and wants, Varee looks like the best fit. Our kids currently speak very little Thai, and our main goal is to improve their Thai. Varee has 3 programs - Thai, EP, and International. We landed on the EP program because hopefully it won't be too much of a shock to them to go from American schools to Thai schools. I think around 50% of the classes are taught in English.

Varee has a very nice campus and security / safety seems pretty decent. We were impressed with the administration and they spent a lot of time talking with us about the pros/cons of the different types of education available in Chiang Mai and about Varee's approach. The teachers we talked to were very friendly, open, and let us observe a class for a little while as well. They had a very well organized area for kids aged 3-5 as well which is something we were looking for.

We didn't really evaluate the school from a perspective of where students end up after Varee as we plan to have our kids back in the US for high school, but Varee seems to have a decent reputation. We are after having our kids learn Thai and the mixed language of the EP program is what we found to be the best. With that as our goal, we ended up ruling out most of the full blown "International" programs. There are also various facebook groups where you can find parents of current students there to talk to as well.

• Like 1

Lanna is a good choice for second grade, although not a Thai School as the OP is looking for. Prem and CMIS are very good International School also.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1arry1iu said:

Hi deej, glad to hear your daughter has completed her undergraduate studies successfully. We hope our daughter could go to college in China or the United Kingdom, but who knows. It will be her decision any ways. Thank you for sharing, and yes, I am picky.

Many thks for your very nice reply

With my remarks of you being picky 😄

Perhaps using the old adage

Never judge a book by its cover. i should have used

BTW

My step daughter  in  her final yr exams at  Wacharita  acheived 8 straight fours.

Studying  Air Avitation at the Kings Uni Chiangrai over 8 seimesters (4yrs)she recieved marks of 3.82 overall.

She can speak and write 6 lanauges 

BTW

Presently she is holding  a  clerk.s position  in Bangkok

with Exxon Mobil Company

who she absoulately thrilled to work for 

In summing up a  normal Thai Education from Maerim Primary school to  Wacharita  then to the King.s Uni in C/Rai (passing with first class honours 😄)

As i posted previously i sincerly hope your daughter has all the luck in the world

for her future studys no matter where 😄

14 hours ago, bryan45876 said:

For our situation and wants, Varee looks like the best fit. Our kids currently speak very little Thai, and our main goal is to improve their Thai. Varee has 3 programs - Thai, EP, and International. We landed on the EP program because hopefully it won't be too much of a shock to them to go from American schools to Thai schools. I think around 50% of the classes are taught in English.

Varee has a very nice campus and security / safety seems pretty decent. We were impressed with the administration and they spent a lot of time talking with us about the pros/cons of the different types of education available in Chiang Mai and about Varee's approach. The teachers we talked to were very friendly, open, and let us observe a class for a little while as well. They had a very well organized area for kids aged 3-5 as well which is something we were looking for.

We didn't really evaluate the school from a perspective of where students end up after Varee as we plan to have our kids back in the US for high school, but Varee seems to have a decent reputation. We are after having our kids learn Thai and the mixed language of the EP program is what we found to be the best. With that as our goal, we ended up ruling out most of the full blown "International" programs. There are also various facebook groups where you can find parents of current students there to talk to as well.

Thank you, Bryan. Varee does look modern and neat from the outside. We will visit it soon.

6 hours ago, deej said:

Many thks for your very nice reply

With my remarks of you being picky 😄

Perhaps using the old adage

Never judge a book by its cover. i should have used

BTW

My step daughter  in  her final yr exams at  Wacharita  acheived 8 straight fours.

Studying  Air Avitation at the Kings Uni Chiangrai over 8 seimesters (4yrs)she recieved marks of 3.82 overall.

She can speak and write 6 lanauges 

BTW

Presently she is holding  a  clerk.s position  in Bangkok

with Exxon Mobil Company

who she absoulately thrilled to work for 

In summing up a  normal Thai Education from Maerim Primary school to  Wacharita  then to the King.s Uni in C/Rai (passing with first class honours 😄)

As i posted previously i sincerly hope your daughter has all the luck in the world

for her future studys no matter where 😄

Thank you, deej. Your daughter is an achiever, and sounds like an outlier, instead of a normal case, of Thai education. I do not think it is common for an ordinary Thai to speak and write 6 languages, especially if she can do it with enough proficiency. Schooling is not the totality of education, but I am certain that in your daughter's endeavor for self-discovery and -development, she must have found value in Wachirawit. Otherwise, she would not have thrived according to your description. We hope our daughter will also find value in the school she chose herself, and grow vigorously.

• Like 1

Just to add some more specific questions to ask during school visits which might be to primary, middle and senior schools:

1.  What percentage of teachers at your school have degrees in education? (primary and higher)

2.  What percentage of teachers at your school have degrees in the subject area(s) they teach (middle and higher)

3.  What percentage of your students go on to higher education?  Where? (middle and higher)

4.  How many of your teachers have studied abroad?  Where? ("international" and "other" language programs?

5.  What is the average tenure of your teachers? (all levels)

6.  How many students will be in my child's class?  What is the teacher:student ratio?  How many assistant teachers, certified and non-certified? (all levels)

The above questions can be asked in different ways, and you will probably have some other questions which focus beyond how nice and friendly people are, particularly administrators.

Edited by Mapguy
clarity
  • Thanks 1