The wrong reasons to retire to Thailand?

“Because you CAN still be lonely in Thailand,even if its Pattaya “

Clearly. 

Good luck to him. What’s he got to lose? He ends up skint and enjoys the rest of his time on this planet or dies wondering bored out of his brains somewhere he dont want to be.  

5 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

May be the guy just needs a "time out", get out if his routine, go relax and have some fun for awhile to "reset" his life and attitudes and get his priorities in order or even discover what they are !

i agree however, i shudder to think that most ,? farangs are in his predicament eg divorced ,kids grown up,live by themselves,lead a boooring life,unable to meet girls for sex even company i guess,???? so look forward to their trips to Thailand and get lonely and depressed most times with their current lifestyle,that is going to a mundane job everyday, etc ,so sometimes,as in his case, think its far better to take that wrong plunge to thailand,because.....somehow life will be more exciting than it is now ?????

am i right?

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

So i discussed with him,is life for a 50yo going to be much more exciting everyday for him than going to work everyday in Sydney Australia?

is somehow selling all his assets about 10 million going to give a better life eg for him stopping the loneliness or depression.

the answer i believe is NO

I feel empathy for him but that is a wrong reason to "retire" even at his relatively young age especially with only 10 million baht to last him a lifetime and no house or job to go back to if suddenly he gets....lonely in Thailand too.

He should go for it !!! 10 million baht will be more than enough (if he's sensible) to last him for 10 years.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Why not, but if i were him i would do long visits to other countries also and then chose which country he suits better.

Thats what i did and chose malaysia, though not retired.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Why not, but if i were him i would do long visits to other countries also and then chose which country he suits better.

Thats what i did and chose malaysia, though not retired.

but are you lonely?  he is i guess more lonely than bored,i guess bored too but once his son goes off interstate he will be living by himself.

He is overweight etc so has problems meeting others

10 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

8 Mill Aus wont get him anywhere here if hes 55.

he is 50/51 yo and his unit is worth about 500k australian around 10 million baht

i agree ,he should wait ,never sell everything up to look for a more "exciting" life somehow i doubt he will find that "exciting" life, and many many farangs think that dont they?

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Thanks 1

the answer lies in your mind.

i would hope people come here to be better people, but it's usually the opposite since many sins are easily found.  

i've lost weight, got in better shape, won some competitions, kept savings, mind got stronger, and i'm eating healthier.

loneliness can EASILY be seen if living with other people.  The odds of you finding the right person in Thailand seems impossible, unless you are fluent in Thai or they are fluent in your language and you both have common interests.  

so it comes down to.....farangs want to go to Thailand and realize other farangs are worse off than they are and then they feel better.  it's funny when farangs come here and only complain about back home or other countries.  that's about as lonely as you can get.  

worst retirement ever is someone negative thinking LOS is LOS 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

IMO, now is the wrong time to retire in Thailand. Especially for a lonely man who will be fleeced by a succession of Phuket women. I suggest he reads this first - and I wish I had the same information when I retired here. Now, I'm stuck for both family and financial reasons. 

https://internationalliving.com/the-best-places-to-retire/   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

he is 50/51 yo and his unit is worth about 500k australian around 10 million baht

i agree ,he should wait ,never sell everything up to look for a more "exciting" life somehow i doubt he will find that "exciting" life, and many many farangs think that dont they?

Does that include retirement income\pension etc? if so, it's not enough. Do the sums

Edited by scubascuba3

3 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

IMO, now is the wrong time to retire in Thailand. Especially for a lonely man who will be fleeced by a succession of Phuket women. I suggest he reads this first - and I wish I had the same information when I retired here. Now, I'm stuck for both family and financial reasons. 

https://internationalliving.com/the-best-places-to-retire/   

Do you think you retired to thailand for the wrong reasons??

With 10 Million Baht ,he won't be lonely long in Thailand ......

go with it,but he has not got to go crazy with spending

his money,that can happen in the first year,when you

get carried away with it.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1