Then how much Lump sum is enough to retire and what age?

Has no one ever heard of bank accounts that pay interest?  I currently receive 8% pa on my savings here in Laos with a Franco-Lao bank.  When I retire in 5 years from now, the interest from my modest bank savings, plus my modest UK part-pension will be more than enough to live happily on.

Do banks in Thailand not offer similar interest-paying accounts?  (I guess not!).

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

Some may debate that the financial part of this is the most important. However to ignore all the other parts of the equation could (will) lead to problems.

Mix any two unsatisfactory elements of being here with 10 times the amount of cash he has and that could still leave him 'depressed and bored' in LoS.

He won't know whether having to rely on a 'friend' (Thai) to do almost everything other than tie his shoelaces will be something he can live with until he's been here a while.

Best to eat the elephant a mouthful at a time.

17 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Has no one ever heard of bank accounts that pay interest?  I currently receive 8% pa on my savings here in Laos with a Franco-Lao bank.  When I retire in 5 years from now, the interest from my modest bank savings, plus my modest UK part-pension will be more than enough to live happily on.

Do banks in Thailand not offer similar interest-paying accounts?  (I guess not!).

Australia its around 1.8% , as for the banks in Laos i dont know if i would feel "comfortable' putting say 10 million baht into the Franco Lao bank,i have never heard of it.

maybe something like Bangkok bank would be more comfortable with,but at 8% it sounds great.

Edited by georgegeorgia

26 minutes ago, Bramley said:

Retirement visa requires that you have B 800,000 in the bank each year. If he wants to live a simple life, that's plenty enough to live.

Only HALF of that 800k can be used for only 7 months, then it has to go back into the bank, so forget that. Bht 65,000 per month should be sufficient to live on, if not then change your lifestyle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

tell your friend to get a spread sheet and run the calculation clear out to his pension. 

he has to have at least 45,000 baht a month every month. 51 to 67 is 16 years. 

45,000 baht X 12 = 540,000 X 16 = 8,640,000 baht to make it to his pension. 

45,000 baht a month includes 10,000 for health insurance and 10,000 baht for rent.

No alcohol included in that 45,000 baht. there is however about 8000 baht in there for entertainment.  

don't forget about inflation. and the impossible to forecast exchange rate. 

and 800,000 in cash in a Thai bank for immigration. I would say if he can't come up with this small amount of money at 51 years of age then he is no where near ready for retirement. 

I have a ton of cash in the bank and I still get nervous sometimes just because no one knows the future. 

but i can live quite well on my $1,995 US social security. I add about $1000 a month to this and it is physically impossible to have that much fun. 

and tell your friend, no matter where he goes, there he is.  

good luck. 

I have to agree with you NCC, you have put down a reasonable sum and broken it down.  I was just starting to do the same thing but you beat me to it.  I however was using the 65,000 Baht per month income method, and his needing to leave the majority of the money in Australia instead of cashing out completely.  Never take more than you can afford to loose and walk away from and still be able to restart yourself again instead of ending up like another thread running where the Farang was in the hand-out line after loosing it all after having cashed out and moving here.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Australia its around 1.8% , as for the banks in Laos i dont know if i would feel "comfortable' putting say 10 million baht into the Franco Lao bank,i have never heard of it.

maybe something like Bangkok bank would be more comfortable with,but at 8% it sounds great.

You can read the Franco Lao bank's audit report at 31 Dec 2017 by KPMG:

https://www.bfl-bred.com/images/NewWebSite/Financial_reports/2017/Audited_Report_2017_IFRS_Eng.pdf

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

the question is..........if your in your 50's or even close to 60's when is the time financially to retire?

how do you know when?

Sorry, too broad of a question I think.

What is the preferred lifestyle?

Golf, girls, travel, good food and higher end condo rent.  80 to 100,000 b a month.

But, I hear people on here who say they are ok with 20,000.

So, what a person wants to do and their lifestyle/quality of life preference is the answer they need to ask themselves.  Just "retiring" to a low quality purgatory could be a worse experience then continuing to work.

17 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

The interest isn't that much if you deduct the inflation:

https://tradingeconomics.com/laos/inflation-cpi

Yep. Overall inflation rate between 6-7%. That includes food inflation at over 11%.

Out of interest just looked up currency exchange rates Thai baht to Laos Kip:

1 Jan 2017 1 baht=232

1 Jan 2020 1 baht=296

Anyone thinking about retiring in Laos and investing their money in kip should think very carefully ...

• Thanks 1

The unknown-unknowns exist - but wasting one's life away, and possibly dying before ever enjoying life (due to "never enough"), is a real consideration.  Balancing those is not an easy question.

First, subtract 1M Baht to stick in the bank just to qualify for the retirement-extension.  It is 800K now, but they might raise it.  Even then, there is no guarantee of what the upper limit might be, 5 years + from now.

Next, he could figure interest/returns, but no guarantee on those being consistent.  Better to just divide the lump-sum by months, to arrive at the mo-spending amount, then re-invest any interest.

He's looking at ~192 months / 9M Baht = ~47K Baht/mo spending money (not counting interest).  Life in Bangkok on that won't be a lot of fun.  If renting a condo in jomtien (~10K/mo decent size studio incl water/elec w/ seaview), would do much better.  Up-country is even less, due to about 4K less on rent, and a couple K/mo less on food (produce, especially), if he eats healthy at home - which maximizes money to spend on other things.  

Re health-insurance - not to be forgotten:  If he were to come to Thailand, and work just One Year in any job (legal w/ work-permit), he could qualify to self-pay into the Thai health system for life, thereafter at 750 Baht/mo.  Combined with a "gap" policy to cover that not covered by the Thai health system, this could significantly reduce the ever-increasing health-care premiums, as one gets older.

• Like 1