Buying a new rice cooker - which one?

OneMoreFarang

In our small household with 2 persons we have currently a medium sized electronic rice cooker. It has space for 10 cups of rice but mostly we use it only for 1 to max 3 cups.

Now this thing is getting old and it's time for a new one. And there are obviously many alternatives.

What is your experience? 

a) Size: 1L or 1.8L rice cooker cost almost the same. Is there an advantage to the 1L version if 90% of the time that size is good enough? Or is it better to buy the 1.8L version just in case we want to cook some more one day?

b) All those options and programs: Does anybody use them? Or is it best just to buy something simple?

Here are some samples:

1L  https://www.lazada.co.th/products/toshiba-rc-10nmfwta-1-i160539610-s193322071.html

1.8L   https://www.lazada.co.th/products/toshiba-rc-18nmfwta-18-i160542636-s193325174.html

A sample of something more expensive:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/toshiba-10-rc-10rht2cga-i2869262-s3430988.html

I guess I have to pay something between 2000B and 3000B. My concern is not so much if it cost 1000B more or less. It should be good quality and it should work for many years.

I don't want one of those one switch cheap cookers. I know it does the job but rice from an electronic cooker just tastes better.

Unless you are using for more than normal rice cooking find that hard to believe - rice properly cooked is rice properly cooked and the simple units do a very good job (would look for insulated type however - perhaps that is why you think electronic is better).  Have had electronic but nobody wanted to use for other than normal rice cooking and it did not last long before having electronic issues.  Would be much better to buy two lower priced units of 1 and 1.8 I believe.

SHARP Electric Rice Cooker KS19ET 1.8 L White | Central Online

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Unless you are using for more than normal rice cooking find that hard to believe - rice properly cooked is rice properly cooked and the simple units do a very good job

Electronic (or maybe they are called digital) rice cookers have often two cooking options. Fast cook and Normal. As far as I know the fast cooking just heats up the rice and cooks it as fast as possible - just like one of those pots with a simple switch. The "normal cooking", or maybe it should be called advance cooking, has apparently a couple of cycles with heating and less heating. It takes a little longer but the rice tastes better - IMHO.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The "normal cooking", or maybe it should be called advance cooking, has apparently a couple of cycles with heating and less heating. It takes a little longer but the rice tastes better - IMHO.

Don't remember it that well be everyone here was very happy to return to normal type cookers (and with about 8 Thai they ate a lot of rice (but admit I am not much of a fan - like sticky rice myself).  Probably better to buy that larger unit if spending that amount so have enough for additional servings when required.  But balance that against still having the old unit you can use if required (if keeping it).  Probably not one answer/size fits all on this subject.

I have both sizes. But the big one I never use. To big for 2 people. The cups of the big rice cooker ate bigger. So with two people you and up with left overs. And you can still cook a reasonable kunt when.you have visitors. And like Thai so. They bring a extra rice cooker when visiting and needed to use. So buy a small one. Uses less electric.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Unless you are using for more than normal rice cooking find that hard to believe - rice properly cooked is rice properly cooked and the simple units do a very good job (would look for insulated type however - perhaps that is why you think electronic is better).  Have had electronic but nobody wanted to use for other than normal rice cooking and it did not last long before having electronic issues.  Would be much better to buy two lower priced units of 1 and 1.8 I believe.

SHARP Electric Rice Cooker KS19ET 1.8 L White | Central Online

100% advice  to follow

I have one like this one a Panasonic 1 switch type , does the job for 10 years ,very simple  just measuring the amount of water for the chosen amount / type rice and nothing els to do unless switching of when you hear the clicking  end sound .

I am a fan of electronic gadgets …, but I guess I would ruin my rice by trying find out the ideal settings . Panasonic type & other simple ones do the job perfect

Edited by david555

Have had a Philips Rice Cooker now for 12 years and it is great.

You can cook rice on normal or fast settings and it has a Slow Cook option which I use for things like Chilli con carne, Coq au vin, Beef bourguignon, slow cooked pork loin........and many other dishes; couldn't do without it now and can highly recommend it.  

38 minutes ago, david555 said:

100% advice  to follow

I have one like this one a Panasonic 1 switch type , does the job for 10 years ,very simple  just measuring the amount of water for the chosen amount / type rice and nothing els to do unless switching of when you hear the clicking  end sound .

I am a fan of electronic gadgets …, but I guess I would ruin my rice by trying find out the ideal settings . Panasonic type & other simple ones do the job perfect

Did you every try rice from an "electronic" cooker?

We had one of those one switch cookers a long time ago. I thought the rice was fine. And then we bought a new one and for whatever reason (I don't remember) we bought an electronic rice cooker. And, surprise, the rice tasted better. And for rice cooking there is just "normal" and "fast" so not much to think about. "Normal" takes longer than the one-switch-cooker. But like I said, it tastes better and this is why I want something like that again. But there are so many options out there...

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

If you can afford it, get a Zojirushi, the Rolls Royce of rice cookers. Perfect rice every time plus will last a lifetime.

Thanks, looks nice, maybe...

Do you have one or do you have first hand experience with one?

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did you every try rice from an "electronic" cooker?

We had one of those one switch cookers a long time ago. I thought the rice was fine. And then we bought a new one and for whatever reason (I don't remember) we bought an electronic rice cooker. And, surprise, the rice tasted better. And for rice cooking there is just "normal" and "fast" so not much to think about. "Normal" takes longer than the one-switch-cooker. But like I said, it tastes better and this is why I want something like that again. But there are so many options out there...

Are you sure you bought the same rice brand..? As that even could make a difference...

Anyway i think you made up your mind already about coocker type  ...only not sure which brand ????

But it seems you had already the electronic one and need replacement again.....yeah electronic can be life manipulated ....artificial aged .....????

This Jasmine rice i found as the best ...at my taste

20200225_165540.jpg

Edited by david555

Rice cooker in the East is like toaster in the West. Only when one doesn't "understand" (ie having the fundamental knowledge of) what one puts in one mouth that the need for "advanced cooking" arises.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't want one of those one switch cheap cookers.

Like one of these?  I know, I know, but I too consider expensive is best but this little unit changed my mind on rice cookers.

My wife wanted to bring a no-nonsense rice cooker with a non-teflon coating insert back to the UK from LOS and popped into the local electrical shop and picked this 6 cup / 1.1 ltr for about 600 baht.  It's about five years old and still churns out perfectly cooked rice.  

It's not what I would have purchased but has proved me wrong.  

2020-05-19 20.10.44.jpg

• Thanks 1

I'd go for an Instant Pot.

It's multi functional, you can cook a lot more than just rice in it, and with rice, it's cooked in 10 mins.

My wife swears by it. She loves the fact that she can get up in the morning and by the time she gets out of the shower she has freshly cooked rice to take to work

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/roles-one-7-nova-plus-mini-30l-isp1003-i771736964-s1518584129.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.3.686d782dnQPPFO&search=1

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks, looks nice, maybe...

Do you have one or do you have first hand experience with one?

I own a Zojirushi back in the US, and I love it. But I left it there when I moved to Thailand 10 years ago. I now own this:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/toshiba-054-rc-5mmwta-i160588433-s193401943.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.13.78d07d8f7v07Iw&search=1

And, I like it a lot. Honestly, I cannot tell the difference in the rice. The Zojirushi was a little higher quality in terms of construction, and the water catch was better. But the rice that came out seemed no better than the Toshiba.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, david555 said:

But it seems you had already the electronic one and need replacement again.....yeah electronic can be life manipulated ....artificial aged .....????

I think the one which I have is now maybe 10 years old, maybe even older. It still works but the seals are bad. The electric and electronic part works just fine.

And my gf is the rice expert. She buys it at the fresh market.

• Like 1

I was firmly in the "cheap rice cookers are fine" camp until I bought a new one with a non-stick teflon coating and my mind is 100% completely changed. Not only does it cook rice more consistently, the rice stays warm and fresh without drying out for at least 3 days in the "keep warm" setting. Cleans easier, rice lasts longer and stays more fresh. Best thing ive bought in a while. Our old rice cookers we would have to make rice just about every time we needed rice, now we make rice and have it for days sitting there ready to go. 

This is the model we bought. Just do not ever clean it with anything other than a soft rag or sponge. No metal can be used in it like forks & stuff. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/electrolux-erc-3305-18l-1-i358036494-s702216604.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.2.12ce3beb8Q3elJ&search=1

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think the one which I have is now maybe 10 years old, maybe even older. It still works but the seals are bad. The electric and electronic part works just fine.

And my gf is the rice expert. She buys it at the fresh market.

Dont rush to quick to buy the techno ones ....as probably a model with voice control or "Alexa "is in the production line ....Usb connection and maybe bluetooth included ......????????????.....

( just joking...enjoy the rice .....,that is all wat really counts ...????)

1 minute ago, david555 said:

Dont rush to quick to buy the techno ones ....as probably a model with voice control or "Alexa "is in the production line ....Usb connection and maybe bluetooth included ......????????????.....

( just joking...enjoy the rice .....,that is all wat really counts ...????)

I have lots of computer and Arduinos and ESP32 and electronic parts at home.

But I will never ever get something like Alexa - say hello to the NSA.

• Thanks 1

I second the post about using an Instant Pot.  Ours came from the U.S. and we have to use a power converter.  We got it used from someone who was returning to the U.S. and wanted to unload his stuff.  Previously we'd been using Zojirushi, so yes, I know a little something about cooking rice.  

The Instant Pot is my go-to kitchen appliance now.  Makes great rice and pasta and many other things.  Tender, fluffy, perfect every time.  And quick, too.  

• Like 1

I have used a Panasonic Rice Cooker SR-DF101 for some years. Sorry no picture but link below.

It doesn't have a handle like some other cookers do.
Has 6 basic options, cook rice, cook rice slowly, cook rice quickly and rice soup, stay warm

Suitable for sticky rice too.

Once rice is cooked it will continue to keep rice warm with warning light that it's still on.

You can add a steamer basket for vegetables so they cook at the same time as the rice.

Not advertised but you can cook pasta, make a stew and if careful even a curry.

Just need to check state of cooking when making things like a stew as just like rice if it gets too dry it can stick to the bowl.

It's ideal for me as a vegan ( use soy protein to replace meat ).

https://www.panasonic.com/ca/consumer/home-appliances/rice-cookers/microcomputer-controlled/sr-df101.html

On 5/20/2020 at 4:07 AM, NancyL said:

I second the post about using an Instant Pot.  Ours came from the U.S. and we have to use a power converter.  We got it used from someone who was returning to the U.S. and wanted to unload his stuff.  Previously we'd been using Zojirushi, so yes, I know a little something about cooking rice.  

The Instant Pot is my go-to kitchen appliance now.  Makes great rice and pasta and many other things.  Tender, fluffy, perfect every time.  And quick, too.  

Totally agree.

Our kids bought us one for a Christmas present, and we literally use it every day, not just for rice but for a whole bunch of things.

My current fav is Instant Pot Butter Chicken Curry, but youtube is awash with Instant Pot recipes

• Like 1