Treadmill Warranty Advice

Hi

Purchased a treadmill about 2 years and 3 months ago.

About a month ago noticed a burning smell and noise coming from the motor area of the treadmill.

Rang the guy that we purchased it from and he said it could be the motor and there is warranty for 5 years, but he won't know until he sees it.

He also said that when he changes the motor, he also changes the board, but that only has a 2 year warranty, (correct) as we checked it on the receipt, however he said it would cost 3,900 baht to change the board plus his labor.

Just wanting to see if anyone has any experience in this field as I don't believe this guy, and feel he is just looking to make a quick buck on the board, on top of his labor.

In other words, I only want the motor replaced, if it is the motor, nothing else seems to have a problem, the viewing board works, the belt turns, but there is a burning smell and you can hear the motor sound as if its struggling, although working normally as is the belt, as I lub it regularly and adjust it when it needs it, at times the belt did not turn and I pushed on it and it started to turn.

The above tell me that the burning smell and the noise tells is not a belt issue, but a motor issue, as for changing the board next to the motor, I see no reason for it, if it's not broken why replace it.

Edited by 4MyEgo

It's possible that a motor failure could damage or weaken some components on the board making it normal to replace the board with the motor rather than wait for the board to fail before replacing it (and needing another service call and stripping of the unit to get at the board).

You could try calling the customer service of the manufacturer and trying to talk to the service manager and ask if it's normal policy to replace board and motor together, some companies are very good in these things others will tell you to "go away".

Otherwise just go for it, but do ensure the replacement board has a "new" 2 year warranty.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It's possible that a motor failure could damage or weaken some components on the board making it normal to replace the board with the motor rather than wait for the board to fail before replacing it (and needing another service call and stripping of the unit to get at the board).

You could try calling the customer service of the manufacturer and trying to talk to the service manager and ask if it's normal policy to replace board and motor together, some companies are very good in these things others will tell you to "go away".

Otherwise just go for it, but do ensure the replacement board has a "new" 2 year warranty.

Very good advice Crossy, many thanks for that, especially the "new" 2 year warranty part.

I can't give you any technical advice, but I can tell you about my experience. 

My motor on the treadmill blew one day. 

It stunk of burning. 

I took the cover off to have a look, and there was a small tu ke absolutely fried to the motor. 

On the advice of a Thai friend, I took the motor to a very scruffy looking dynamo shop. 

I was a bit aprefensive about getting it back in one piece, but a few days later, I did. 

Coil rewound and looking good as new. 

Never did anything with the board, just replaced fuse, and it's still going good 4 or so years later. 

700bht all in 

Edited by northsouthdevide
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2020 at 5:30 PM, Crossy said:

The saga continues.

We took your advice and called the company in Bangkok as they reopened today and we by-passed the salesman that we purchased the treadmill from, who first said it was the motor (without inspecting it), then later said we have to also change the board, again (without inspecting it), "company policy".

The company said, no need that to change the board as they do not recommend to change the board with the motor unless the board is damaged, from what my wife explained to him, he said it seems that it is the motor, he said he would get someone who deals with this to call us, next we receive a volley of texts from the salesman.....lol, all in on it together as I assume.

Backwards and forwards today, salesman adamant that it is company policy to change the board with the motor, cost of board 3,900 baht, plus 600 labour, warranty for the board has expired.

Long of the short, we kept up the pressure and he finally agreed to change the motor only, which is still under the 5 year warranty, however he said, if the motor packs it in again because we didn't change the board, warranty won't be covered on the motor and we have to wait 15-20 days to have it changed now, then he sent a further text saying he is going to ask the company how much it is going to cost to send the motor from Bangkok to Udon Thani.

The thing I don't understand is that why give a 2 years warranty on the board and 5 years on the motor, but if the motor goes, you have to pay for the board outside of warranty as well, not going to happen !

Going to be interesting as I don't see why we have to pay for them to send the motor to Udon Thani, his labour I can sort of understand, although I would have thought the company would have paid for that.......welcome to Thailand, the land of opportunists.

Edited by 4MyEgo