Validity of UK Visas

I have been granted visasa for the family to visit the UK but due to the current situation we cannot travel.  Does anyone know if visa fees will be refunded or if there will be an extension allowed.  Due to education commitments, we cannot now travel until next year and the visas are only valid for 6 months.

I suspect the UKVI will refuse such a request saying that the fee is an application fee and covered the cost of processing your application.

I suppose you could ask for the visa to be reissued for a later date, but I suspect their answer might be that the application would need to be reassessed and that would need to paid for.

This is only my opinion, but there’s no harm In trying.

4 hours ago, stouricks said:

I asked the Spanish authorities for exactly the same regarding a Schengen Visa I had for my Mrs for last month. I don't remember the Spanish for F... off!

But at least you fully understood the response!  ????

12 hours ago, pontious said:

There are still flights to UK. 4Why cant you travel.?

Don't know how long he had planned to spend in UK, but whatever I think he and family would not want to spend the first 14 days in quarantine plus the possible problem of re-entry into Thailand for him under the current restrictions.   I'm in the same position.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 4:26 PM, yeahbutif said:

Yes I had same problem.. I tryed all angles. UK gov and Thailand. And got emails back saying nope

Will not change dates. And have to do all over again next year 

My partner received a UK Visit Visa that Expires in Mid-December 2020. We are still in Thailand due to flight cancellations (Thai Airways). I wrote to UK Immigration asking about re-issuing the unused visa for a future date once Thai borders re-open for general travel (i.e noe repatrition flight or SQ). Below is the standard reply copy below that we received today. We will now arrive in the UK on 18th October with GF's return flight dated end of November which Thai Airways will likely cancel. Chances are she will not easily be able to return to Thailand until after her UK visa expires but we just decided to go with it regardless. 

Home Office

Thank you for contacting the Home Office Immigration Team.

If you have been issued entry clearance as a visitor but have been unable to travel to the UK during its validity due to COVID-19, you will not be eligible to have it extended or reissued. If your visa is still valid you may use it to travel to the UK at any time until it expires, if it has expired you are able to reapply in the usual way.

You will also not be eligible to have your Visit Visa application fee refunded if you are unable to travel during its validity period. If you have taken out private travel insurance, you should make enquiries with your provider as to whether you can recover any costs relating to your visa application through them.

Please continue to check the GOV.UK website, where the latest information and advice on our response to COVID-19 is published:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/coronavirus-covid-19-immigration-and-borders

The latest travel advice can be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus

Coronavirus Immigration Team

Archived