My neighbors dog

your few options seem to be and i am sure others have probably stated the same....

1. be better planned and get your refreshments or items earlier

2. buy another motorbike

3. go to another store even if further distance

4. talk to the thai owner, dont even go there with force intent - i have seen and heard of people

killed here for as little as nothing. 

good luck

Carry a sturdy stick about 2 metres long. Just waving it at them confidently (not aggressively) should be enough to keep them away. After a while, the dogs may get used to you and leave you alone. I have used this strategy successfully several times.

• Like 1

i find giving a treat tossed to them will slowly make friends, won't happen for a few times but they get used seeing you and knows it's dinner...slowly after they are tamed you won't need to toss treats often...works 4me... 

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Why not try a little kindness - really, I'm not joking!Dogs are driven by a few natural instincts, protection of their territory being one of the chief ones, and that's what these dogs are doing.

Public areas cannot be allowed to be their territory. If the owner does not lock them they need to be removed. I got bitten one day by a dog in Central Pattaya. Was no fun afterwards. He should send an email (as evidence) to the local government and tell them the situation. The neighbor does not seem to be his friend anyway otherwise he would care. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You can buy dog snacks and give one snack each time you pass by. Then they will adore you. Don't talk to the owner because if anything happens to the dogs in the future then you will be the first person to blame. 

• Like 1

I have heard that offering them food might just help to learn friendship.  I am an outdoor person and active. Myself personally have learned the aggressive dogs with owners and the soi dogs are cowards. I stand up to them and they are scared chickens. Yes sticks and rocks do keep distance

Buy a taser (they are illegal but are sold everywhere there are tourists) NOT to taser the dog but the sound is very scary to dogs and they will run from you.

I love dogs and have two of my own, but after 2 bites and one crash caused by dogs when I cycle every morning; I now carry a small one that is pretending to be a cigarette lighter and just press the button if dogs come near.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, sencelebi said:

You can buy dog snacks and give one snack each time you pass by. Then they will adore you. Don't talk to the owner because if anything happens to the dogs in the future then you will be the first person to blame. 

Up to you but you might just anger them more. Soi dogs much prefer flank of farang served on the bone.

On a more serious note, if a dog bites you, grab the dog and sink your teeth into its testicles. They won't do it twice. Works for me.

Edited by Phil McCaverty
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

On a more serious note, if a dog bites you, grab the dog and sink your teeth into its testicles. They won't do it twice. Works for me.

That is a great advice - thank you! But what if you find out after grabbing it that it is a female dog? 

• Haha 1

I used to be indifferent to dogs before I came here, now I hate the festering things. I am guilty of giving them tidbits though, purely to stop them snapping at my ankles when I cycle past them. Anybody seeing me would think I was a dog-lover.

On 5/19/2020 at 3:41 PM, seajae said:

get a water pistol or spray bottle and fill with water and bleach, a few squirts in the face should make them back off

Theres no need for bleach that could potentially blind a dog, water alone would turn the dogs away. The dogs are just doing what is natural and protecting their turf, its the owner who needs to be responsible.

• Thanks 1

Some good advice here.

It mainly seems to be a confidence thing. I personally don't give a <deleted> about all these aggressive dogs. I'm not scared or impressed by all their antics. I don't get excited at them or shout at them. I just hold my ground, ignore them and keep doing my thing. 

If one did have the cheek to really go for me, well, I would take it on and teach it who is the boss. Maybe dogs can somehow sense that underlying confidence (and hidden aggression) and are wary. Anyway, so far it has never got down to physical violence and I don't expect it ever will.

• Haha 1

No dogs are agressive if they dont feel that you are weak.

When a street dog is coming, i should louder than him and walk towards him.

It NEVER happened that a dogs tried to face me longer.

Sorry to tell, but the problem is you.

Also, you could buy a fridge, so you dont need to got out in such a dangerous road !

• Sad 1

Dogs can smell fear!  When I got here I kind of watched the locals regardless of how aggressive they might be time yes looks like they are going to bite they just keep walking pay no attention to them once past their territory they just turn back it seems their bark is worse than their bite>

As time went on I did my jogging took a stick along just for good measure copy the Thais the best I could and it worked out for me the ones that seem 50/50 I dropped them a treat the next time.  There are times on my motorbike come out and chase me I pay not attention I also cycle a lot and from time to time they rush out and try to bite me but I just act like I'm jogging and continue to pedal at my regular speed.

Last year this homeless dog sleeps under a car next to my house I was in a hurry didn't pay attention and the dog came out from under and took a bite I knew what happened right away and knew I will need treatment I had sense for sometime he was sick. I went into the house got out my samarai sword it saw me coming and took off the Thai neighbors thought I was crazy going after him gave me dirty looks I went about my business and got the shots a few months later the same dog went wild bit a number of kids and Thais in the neighborhood before they corner him and killed it. I sat outside while they were all running around like rabbits smiling! I said to the wife clinic 5000 baht?????

On 5/19/2020 at 9:13 PM, northsouthdevide said:

I find that ignoring them completely usually, in fact always does the trick. 

You could try saving some food scraps, and putting them on the floor when you walk past? 

Ive never come across a street dog in this country that can't be bribed ????

right up to the highest ranking panjandrums in the country.

1 hour ago, kidneyw said:

I used to have trouble with my morning jog. A bamboo stick is light to carry, but was heavy enough to act as a deterrent when I smacked one on its muzzle. After that it was all bark and no bite.

I add bellowing “Mar Dee !!” At them too.

If the owner is around they seem to pick up that marr is being a pain in the <deleted>, often calling it off.

• Confused 2

Yes, dogs in general are a problem here. There is now a pack between our village and the local bar...300 metres. First thing to do is not display signs of fear. They can sense it. Carry a stout walking cane with you. Very often you just need to raise it to get them to back off.

As a secondary tactic, get a quote for a series of rabies shots and get your girlfriend to show it to the owners and explain to them that if there is one scratch on either of you from their mutts they will be getting the bill through your lawyer. Might make them control them a bit more. Unfortunately the law is on the side of the dog, and you could be in deep doo doo if you harm them seriously.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeoCesar said:

its a psychological game, neutralize your emotions and act confident..

claim the territory and act like a leader/master

Yes - he should pee daily in this area to mark his territory. Even at this neighbors walls and doors to show the dogs how mighty he is. 

• Haha 1