English teacher with poor pronunciation sparks online storm

webfact

45 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

No ignorance at all. I stated Americans do have accents, as I do,but I speak perfect English and that's why I was asked to teach. I never said my English was better than anyone's , just that it's correct English. Ethnocentricity means my culture is better than another's. I never said that either. Do not correct one's grammar or paragraphing if you don't understand this isn't an English lesson. You separating three sentences shows incorrect grammar. My typing in one somewhat long paragraph doesn't.

"You separating three sentences shows incorrect grammar. My typing in one somewhat long paragraph doesn't".

Your dreadful grammar errors do, though, fredwiggy!

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, n00dle said:

Do you not understand that a "naitive" speaker is simply someone who speaks a language as their primary language and has done so since birth or through earliest childhood?

There is no such thing as a native english accent, it is merely suggestive of fluency.

Yes, I do understand that I am a native English speaker, which is why I'm at the school.

Just now, Bob A Kneale said:

"You separating three sentences shows incorrect grammar. My typing in one somewhat long paragraph doesn't".

Your dreadful grammar errors do, though!

Why are you trying to point out dreadful grammar errors when there aren't any? This post was about a teacher teaching English when she isn't qualified. I teach English, and the owner has told everyone that he's happy to have someone who uses correct pronunciation,  spells correctly and teaches correct grammar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Yes, to learn correct English pronunciation, it's best to learn from a native American "teacher", not just any American, but one that teaches correct pronunciation. but you can learn to speak English from anyone who speaks it. Easy enough for you now?

Why do you claim that it is "best to learn from an American"? 

Yes, thanks, English is easy enough for me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Retarded said:

As long as I am able to communicate, that is all matter I am concerned about. Not so perfect, so what.     

Your written English is much better than some natives. Yes, the most important thing is to be able to communicate and not have perfect American or British accent.

As I have said many times, Thai language is very different from European languages so to require most of them to speak perfect English is near impossible ( a few talented ones might).

I have seen a few native English teachers teaching English to Thai students and yet, the students still can't pronounce well.

If Thai teachers can speak English as well as this Thai guy below, it's good enough. He went to America for his university education and he still can't pronounce English properly. 

Edited by EricTh
  • Sad 1

Why do you claim that it is "best to learn from an American"? 

Yes, thanks, English is easy enough for me.

Because American teachers teach correct pronunciation of the English language. If English isn't your native language, you will have an accent which can detract from the right pronunciation, just as others have stated here.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, n00dle said:

Why would you think american native speakers dont have an accent? That is just ridiculous.

They all clearly do have an american accent, likely affected by region.

Accents can be more neutral or more pronounced, but every english teacher regardless has an accent by definition.

Maybe not if they have a home counties/oxford English "accent" surely that is, by definition an English accent...

• Like 1

So you're trying to claim that Americans teach better English than the English can?  Why?  What's so great about Americans' English language skills?  Do you really think that Americans are the only native-English speakers on the planet?

No And like I said before, anyone can teach English if they speak the language. You can be born anywhere and learn English as your first language. I'm speaking of correct pronunciation of the language. Being a native English speaker doesn't mean you speak proper English.  To learn "correct" pronunciation, it's best to learn from a person that is fluent in English. Having a regional accent can detract from  learning the correct pronunciation.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Americans don't have an accent?? Totally speechless at the ignorance on this statement

American easy to understand.

UK and Aussie mumble.

Everyone can understand US English.

• Haha 2