English teacher with poor pronunciation sparks online storm

webfact

My soon is 8 years old and speaks perfect English. He also has the ability to quickly switch to Thai-English when needed. 

Pretty funny to be around when he does that.

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 2

On 3/4/2022 at 5:07 PM, Neeranam said:

Just saying, double standards as they would criticize immigrants to their home countries who didn't know what month it was.,

Ah, but there they are immigrants, in Thailand, very specifically, Non-Immigrants.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Ah, but there they are immigrants, in Thailand, very specifically, Non-Immigrants.

Indeed, and legal immigrants to the UK have to pass at least 3 English language tests on their way to permanent resident status, and even need to pass one to get their initial visa.

6 minutes ago, AwwYesNice1 said:

Why Thailand is the way it is as the powers that be want it exactly like that.

As their kids get sent off overseas to study and learn how to actually compete in the real world.

Met  a well off Thai girl in US who after living and studying in NYC and Boston , MA for 5 years speaks perfect English  albeit with a Boson accent.  Met a Thai high school teacher 21 years ago that taught English and till this day have to listen very closely when she speaks in order to understand her.

26 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Indeed, and legal immigrants to the UK have to pass at least 3 English language tests on their way to permanent resident status, and even need to pass one to get their initial visa.

The guys I was talking about are immigrants; it doesn't matter what their visa says. I'm sure most here are residents, even though their visa says 'non-immigrant'.  They have been working here over 20 years and married to Thais. Check out definition of immigrant.

One difference I've noticed is that many guys working here can't be bothered to go through the permanent residency or citizen process, unlike immigrants to the UK/US/OZ.  in fact, many don't even make inquiry into the process, believing it is impossible. 

One issue here is that there are so many illegal immigrants, paying $500 for a visa they are not entitled to get, usually Western retirees who don't want to put their 800k in the bank. In order to make the immigration/citizenship process faster, more transparent and easier, the rogue 'visa agents' need to be reported, not promoted. 

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

The guys I was talking about are immigrants; it doesn't matter what their visa says. I'm sure most here are residents, even though their visa says 'non-immigrant'.  They have been working here over 20 years and married to Thais. Check out definition of immigrant.

One difference I've noticed is that many guys working here can't be bothered to go through the permanent residency or citizen process, unlike immigrants to the UK/US/OZ.  in fact, many don't even make inquiry into the process, believing it is impossible. 

One issue here is that there are so many illegal immigrants, paying $500 for a visa they are not entitled to get, usually Western retirees who don't want to put their 800k in the bank. In order to make the immigration/citizenship process faster, more transparent and easier, the rogue 'visa agents' need to be reported, not promoted. 

Not promoted, come on - that's revenue you're talking about. 

8 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Not promoted, come on - that's revenue you're talking about. 

I'm looking at one agent now, which is advertised on Facebook and expat forums -  it says if you are retired but don't have money in the bank, or health insurance they can sort it out. I personally know one guy who went to this agent who took him to the bank, where there was an Immigration Officer sitting. They fixed his bank book and he got his visa. Another illegal immigrant. A nice guy and my friend but he complains about illegal immigrants in the UK. Why do other expats not report these agents? Simple, they are scared of repercussions and prefer to keep an illegal option in case they face intimidation and extortion themselves at immigration. The better move is to report the illegal agents and the extortion will stop. 

34 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'm looking at one agent now, which is advertised on Facebook and expat forums -  it says if you are retired but don't have money in the bank, or health insurance they can sort it out. I personally know one guy who went to this agent who took him to the bank, where there was an Immigration Officer sitting. They fixed his bank book and he got his visa. Another illegal immigrant. A nice guy and my friend but he complains about illegal immigrants in the UK. Why do other expats not report these agents? Simple, they are scared of repercussions and prefer to keep an illegal option in case they face intimidation and extortion themselves at immigration. The better move is to report the illegal agents and the extortion will stop. 

Would point out only you are the only immigrant posting on this forum.

The rest of us posters are just here on holiday, and as such it's not our place to report crimes unless we are the victims of the crime. Not my country, not my business.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Darned if we still get ones there that don't speak English though. Had a taxi driver who couldn't understand 'hospital' once..... 

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Would point out only you are the only immigrant posting on this forum.

The rest of us posters are just here on holiday, and as such it's not our place to report crimes unless we are the victims of the crime. Not my country, not my business.

I'm not. 

Should crimes be reported?  Personally, I was taught never to grass on friends. 

As a Thai citizen, I swore allegiance to the country, which includes preserving 'Thainess' which most foreigners don't understand. 

Although slightly dated, from a mandate in 1939, 

- Thai people mus not reveal anything to foreigners that might damage the nation.

From 1942,

- Thai people must not act as agents for foreigners

- Thai people must not buy land on behalf of foreigners

And from 1997, 

- Thai people must refrain from encouraging foreigners to wear Chang singlets in public places

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I'm not. 

Should crimes be reported?  Personally, I was taught never to grass on friends. 

As a Thai citizen, I swore allegiance to the country, which includes preserving 'Thainess' which most foreigners don't understand. 

Although slightly dated, from a mandate in 1939, 

- Thai people mus not reveal anything to foreigners that might damage the nation.

From 1942,

- Thai people must not act as agents for foreigners

- Thai people must not buy land on behalf of foreigners

And from 1997, 

- Thai people must refrain from encouraging foreigners to wear Chang singlets in public places

Is Leo singlet Ok? 

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2020 at 7:46 PM, EricTh said:

For a European to learn another Indo-European language is much easier than for a Thai to learn a European language which is so different from theirs and vice versa.

Furthermore, there are much more opportunities for you to practice English back home than Thai people.

A Thai teacher should have 'good' pronunciation but one shouldn't expect her to have perfect pronunciation as a native speaker. Anyway, there are so many different English accents such as American, British, Australian so which one is considered 'good'?

Australian of course.

• Like 1