English teacher with poor pronunciation sparks online storm

webfact

2 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Damned auto correct put electrocution instead of elocution and I've only just noticed ..  

Ha ha ha! I'm sure there are many who will be agreeing with you - you've got three likes already!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Ah, you mean barth, not bath, parth not path.

Like you say, it depends on if you're from the home counties or not: Long 'a' or short 'a'.

Years ago there was a phrase 'pathmaster transplant' (it was referring to a software program which needed upgrading).

I remember someone from the home counties saying 'parthmarster trarnsplarnt'.

Hahahahaha .. 

• Haha 1

Lot of negative comments.

say should be native English teacher.

Irony they live in thailand 10 years but can not say simple polite sentence.

IMO the best teacher for teach English to thai people must speak thai AND English.

how can translate for the kid if not understand what the kid ask? 

Not many farang speak thai. And if can they not want to teach kids English.

Not enough for every school. 

If native English teacher (US) can speak thai will be good teacher.

Not enough like that.

Same on TVF thai language forum. I try to help it before, but some member speak thai so well, and English= they can teach thai better than me. Explain very well. 

Explain better than Thai person. Some smart members really. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

What was the TV series set in Scotland that was shown in the US recently?

They had to subtitle it, as US TV knew the American audience wouldn't understand it.

I meet Scottish before.

i think they not speak English. Can not understand anything the man say. The woman a little bit.

21 minutes ago, Yinn said:

American easy to understand.

UK and Aussie mumble.

Everyone can understand US English.

Probably for non native English speakers as thats all they hear from movies and TV series.

Although I would prefer my child to have a English accent as the language is called English.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

It not only Scottish.

I'm British (from the midlands) and I was working in Newcastle Upon Tyne once.

I was in a lift (elevator) with some locals. I was convinced they were German tourists to begin with, as the Geordie accent is very harsh/guttural.

(waiting for a Geordie response!)

I am southern Thai. 

The other Thai joke about can not understand us same. Talk quickly, accent and some word different. Slang.

But we can undersatnd central thai, no problem. 

The northern thai man speak very polite and sweet and lovely. 

If you want to be Casanova in thailand get Northern Thai thai teacher teach you.

many Lakorn show on channel 3 etc have sub for Thai because is Issan language.

I understand Issan ok because listen Issan music so much.

Edited by Yinn
  • Like 1

Watching Thai TV ,if any Thai speaks any good  English they all have an American accent, never heard a Thai speaking  English with an English accent ,and some Thai's speak with that American droll, that sets my teeth on edge.

• Like 2

Poor education is the cornerstone of Thailand.  That's why most people of affluence go abroad to study.  

Native english teachers should only teach english.  People can pretend that they speak properly, but they really can't.  The nuances of our strange language is too difficult to master, as anyone who speaks Thai knows.  If you learn a language as an adult in particular, the chances of mastering it are close to zero, unless you work at it for decades and take classes with tutors.  

Edited by Blumpie

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Why are you trying to point out dreadful grammar errors when there aren't any? This post was about a teacher teaching English when she isn't qualified. I teach English, and the owner has told everyone that he's happy to have someone who uses correct pronunciation,  spells correctly and teaches correct grammar.

To be honest your fellow English teachers................ 

"3 from Cameroon that sound like those from England, because they were taught in Africa by  a teacher from England, and one that is half Indian and half English, and sounds like both in his accent."

Its little wonder they prefer to have you

The quality of the English school you're employed at does not strike me as being of high standard.

17 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

The nuances of our strange language is too difficult to master, as anyone who speaks Thai knows.  If you learn a language as an adult in particular, the chances of mastering it are close to zero, unless you work at it for decades and take classes with tutors.  

Most people who speak English as a second language and not growing up in native-English speaking countries will never speak like a native which is a fact. (except for a very few talented ones)

This is a Thai guy who went to America for his university education and he can't pronounce perfectly but I can still understand him.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

To learn "correct" pronunciation, it's best to learn from a person that is fluent in English.

Having a regional accent can detract from  learning the correct pronunciation.

1. I was born in London.U.K. I am fluent in English, but I speak with a south of England accent, but not East London (Cockney)

2. I have a regional accent, as does everybody, even though I spent most of my adult life in British Columbia.. 

You haven't mentioned what your regional accent is, being a native English speaker from the USA. 

why are they even teaching online?

the only reason online teaching came into place was because the term at the time was still planned to finish end of February 2021

now the term has been adjusted, all the missed weeks of teaching can now be caught up on, yet schools are still insisting on going ahead with online. doesn't make any sense.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

But they aren't teaching others Thai language.

4 hours ago, neverere said:

Nonsense, this is about teaching. In this case the teacher should have been vetted for English speaking ability prior to being used in this capacity. 

Neither should they pick up any riff raff bar or sex addict with a hastily aquied dodgy degree just because he happens to have white skin. If properly and genuinely qualified, it should not matter if he/she is a Thai, Filipino, Swedish or <deleted>.

• Like 1

Nigerian teachers ,  have a good command of English language , inherited from birth .

Scandies , trying to teach English, impossible ..

Edited by elliss

4 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Nothing new, the Thai books they use in schools to teach English are full of mistakes - as are the ones written by Americans.

The school books are got from Bangkok via the Philippines who speak American English. This proves difficult in teaching my kids about spelling when helping them with their English homework. I'm English/English and that's what I teach my kids. But when going to school they're wrong. Hence why this county couldn't organise a ....... in a brewery.

7 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

The school books are got from Bangkok via the Philippines who speak American English. This proves difficult in teaching my kids about spelling when helping them with their English homework. I'm English/English and that's what I teach my kids. But when going to school they're wrong. Hence why this county couldn't organise a ....... in a brewery.

peace up?

• Like 1

The learning outcome would be: to make sure the students are happy for an English class.

What kind of learning outcome is that? There is no clear learning outcome from this video. She was talking about aches with wrong pronunciation, then chanting about being happy in an English class. Pure gibberish that has no connection whatsoever.

12 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

when going to school they're wrong. Hence why this county couldn't organise a ....... in a brewery.

They don't know the difference. As long as it sound like English it's English. Even though it don't make sense.