English teacher with poor pronunciation sparks online storm

webfact

1 minute ago, saakura said:

Do countries like Phillipines, Singapore, Nigeria, Cameroon, India have Native English teachers? The well educated from these countries speak and teach better english than some backpackers, scousers and plumbers from English speaking countries, though their pronounciation may be different. 

What is the official language of the countries you mention ?  Any historical or 'cultural' links to England ??  (except for Cameroon ???? ) ...    How does that compare to Thailand ??

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Retarded said:

All of you are wrong for every aspects. 

First of all the English is mandatory as a second language starting at certain age, and it is impossible to have native English speaking teachers at every school. Some one has to teach English for class at all schools country-wide and the only way is having local teachers whose major is English as specialty in education. 

And to communicate efficiently with anyone whose native language is not English, someone who speaks local language will have advantage to teach any subjects including English. 

The language is acquires as soon as we are born, and it is not learned through class. Native language is learned by facial expression, posture, motion, sounds, etc. by mother and families surrounding babies. Once any human being is isolated after birth and pass a certain age, it is impossible to learn any language because the brain function loses the ability to acquire the language. The native tongue is not learned by studying the grammar. 

But the second language is completely different from learning the native language. 

It is similar to metaphysical process of thinking. We learn the second language by logical process of brain. So one must learn the alphabet first and then the grammar. The speech is the last. It is completely opposite to learning native language. 

So the not-so-perfect accent teacher is not a significant problem. 

And the action and movement of our mussel of our body is formed immediately after birth which will determine certain way of making our sound as involuntary brain function. So the accent or making a certain sound by different ethnic people are unique and it will stay in certain way for life time. There is no way you can acquire the perfect accent in second language even your spouse is a native speaker of your second language and have lived together for 99 years. 

Last, different ethnic people has different physical structure which results in distinct characteristics by ethnicities. You can tell whether someone is African or not no matter what language they speak by the distinct way making sound. Even an Asian who is born and raised America and speak only English, anyone can tell he or she is an Asian by sound. The lung capacity is different and the resonance of the nasal sound of Asian body is not same as Caucasian or African. 

So the perfection of speech by the second language teachers shouldn't be a priority for qualification. 

English is my second language and I still get laugh by others for my wrong grammar and funny accent.

But I manage to live without that much difficulty and don't even try to imitate perfect English. 

As long as I am able to communicate, that is all matter I am concerned about. Not so perfect, so what.     

Fine. Not a problem. But don't try to teach English.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

They don't know the difference. As long as it sound like English it's English. Even though it don't make sense.

Yes, and that's perfectly acceptable if you spend your life serving up noodles or an immigration officer.  If you're going off to other things, it would be wise to learn how to speak properly, but for many inferior language skills are just fine.  

I would sound just as halting and disheveled sounding if I tried to speak Thai.  It's no big deal, but you really need proper english if you are going anywhere.  If your english sounds poor you sound like someone who is serving up noodles.  

People who are non-native speakers usually take one on one tutoring from certified instructors who critique their english and stop them from saying things backwards, in a sense.  It's expensive but the result is someone who can actually get by and sound somewhat native.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, EricTh said:

Many people fail to understand that Thai people are learning English as a second language and NOT first language.

It's perfectly normal not to speak perfect English as long as people can understand them.

I've known many foreigners who still can't speak perfect Thai after many years of studying Thai.

Eric, now I'm sure you're not the educated Loh guy (maybe some newbee at your lawfirm, Eric?).

What you(?) write doesn't make sense, sorry: the aim for non-Thais to learn the local(!) language is, for some, a practical need for earning a living in Thailand, but, for most interested in learning it, it is to create better contacts with the locals they spend time, and probably their money, with (and maybe understand a bit of what's being said in their back...). 

While, for Thais, it is supposed to be to upgrade themselves in their communication skills, to, possibly understand, and be understood(!) by, the rest of the World, and when locally employed in jobs related to aliens, oops, sorry: foreigners, like in tourism f.i., to earn a better living, and possibly build a fullfilling career (N.B.: the same can be, more and more, alas, said about the knowledge of mandarin and cantonese, considering the dominant power the country is made to bow to).

47 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Dont worry about it. Those who can Do Do. Those who cant TEACH. We cant all be successful.!

And who taught you. Could it have been teachers?

1 minute ago, Justgrazing said:
2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

was in a lift (elevator) with some locals. I was convinced they were German tourists to begin with, as the Geordie accent is very harsh/guttural.

(waiting for a Geordie response!

Howay div'vent talk sh*te man ..

I had one, but the leg fell off.

30 minutes ago, bangrak said:

I actually found her english ok. If she was speaking to a native english speaker then you would know its wrong but you would understand what she meant.

Thailand, like other asian countries do not need native english teachers. They need native speakers that can teach english. Its useless having a native english speaker teach english if they dont understand thai and how that may translate locally.

My gf is malay, she has big issues with when to use s or not at the end of the word. Who cares as long as it is understood. she has a masters and is doing a phd which are both done in english, but the teachers are malay. So when she is correct they mark her as wrong, so I then have to speak to them to explain.

Also i tell her its samon, but she says salmon. Yet its pronounced her way in different places. I know what she means and thats all that matters.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On the other hand, if the national level of English speaking ability were any better in Thailand, then many a nubile, young-(ish) Thai female would have found a much better match then what they have had to settle for... (wink, wink). So folks don't have to be so harsh - instead consider that a blessing that they don't speak much, imperfect or otherwise, English. 

Also consider this: recently I got the pleasure to watch a covid youtube update by Canadian authorities (from the region of Quebec IIRC.) Their French is absolutely A-T-R-O-C-I-O-U-S - the kind I would expect to hear from a SNL (Saturday Night Live for non-Yanks) skit. But does anyone say anything? Not a squeak.  I am not out to bash the Canadians - I like them some of my dear friends are Canadians - but it's simply the awful truth. The whole Quebecois populace ought to get quickly to a remedial french course if there is any hope that they would be able to pronounce anything that sounds remotely civilized "francais." The fact that they continue to regurgitate and digest such gibberish tells me that it's beyond late. So again don't be so harsh on those from the Eastern world trying to learn a language that comes from the West.

Edited by watthong
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, EricTh said:

I've known many foreigners who still can't speak perfect Thai after many years of studying Thai.

And I know that there are many on this forum who can't grasp simple critical concepts while tripping overthemselves to forgive the idiotic.

Question directed at you EricTh: Are any of these foreigners [who can't speak perfect Thai after many years of studying Thai] Thai teachers? - now do you get the issue?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's because Thai language has implied vowels between consonants, and some consonants get repeated in a word.

They just add the implied vowels into the English consonants and get Sa-pag-het-tee.

If you learn to read Thai what they are doing becomes entirely understandable.

The teacher also had a problem differentiating 'R's and 'L's, would assume her first language Laos as they don't use 'R's much.

Absolutely agree and I understood why they do as I have noticed that they used to say SA with S ( ส ) when there is no vowel behind it. For example sawasdee, in written it's S-W-A-D-EE ( สวัสดี ).

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
  2 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

Dont worry about it. Those who can Do Do. Those who cant TEACH. We cant all be successful.!

Yea, which is why i yell at doctors for teaching other doctors!!!!  Or the NASA scientist that tried to teach me how to build a rocket ship.  Then there was the guy who taught Maths....I yelled, "Do, no teach!!  do, do!!"  Of course, the guy teaching on history.....wow, i yelled at him!!!  "do, do!!!"

anyhow.....I've heard enough Non-Native English Teachers who come from other countries and their English is WAY worse than that lady.  I have no idea what they are saying.  An example might be, "Hello Sir, you are come from today?"   Then there is the, "clap your hand."  That's always a good one.  Of course it's a complete joke, and I would imagine every class is riddled with ridiculous errors. Even natives, of course.  They get lazy, spell things wrong....or really have no idea how to write one correct sentence on the board.  Example:  Billy like to swim and ....  

Here's the funny part.  It's basically English for five-year old kids, regardless of the grade.  Oh, you're a senior in High School?  OK....same as for the kiddos.  some slight changes.

i think this lady is EASILY better than 70% (IMO).

which speaks volumes.  and if you said, "which speak volumes" to anyone non-native, there is only a 1% chance they would understand that.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Hmm, I thought you were going to say he failed due to the English version not being 100% the same as the Google translation, which the teacher referred to when marking it.

Nice point. The sad reality was that they were in the first batch of students for an updated 5 year degree which included xxx hrs of English (reading, writing, conversation) every semester and a final submission in both Thai and English.

In fact they didn't have any English tuition until the last semester of the final year, 2 hrs per week but the totally unqualified 18 year old teacher* came late and totally unprepared for every lesson, she was in the room for about 20 minutes and chatted about facebook. (*she was the 18 year old niece of the dean of the uni, still attending high school and had never had an English lesson.) 

The students submitted their final work (Thai and English) but it wasn't checked by anybody. They all got an automatic A. 

Edited by scorecard

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

The school books are got from Bangkok via the Philippines who speak American English. This proves difficult in teaching my kids about spelling when helping them with their English homework. I'm English/English and that's what I teach my kids. But when going to school they're wrong. Hence why this county couldn't organise a ....... in a brewery.

Send them to a british school. Job done.

• Like 1

Even native English speakers don't really know the language's grammar, probably mainly due to deteriorating education levels and a dearth of pride in the language. Like the Thai, they have problems selecting the correct personal pronoun, don't now how to deal with gerunds (words that can be either a verb or a noun) and are not aware that English has a "subjective mood" that controls what words accompany an "if it" (was or were). And this is just for starters. So if you're living in a glass house ...

8 hours ago, EricTh said:

For a European to learn another Indo-European language is much easier than for a Thai to learn a European language which is so different from theirs and vice versa.

Furthermore, there are much more opportunities for you to practice English back home than Thai people.

A Thai teacher should have 'good' pronunciation but one shouldn't expect her to have perfect pronunciation as a native speaker. Anyway, there are so many different English accents such as American, British, Australian so which one is considered 'good'?

Australian

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Let's assume she is the best Thai 'English teacher' they could find.

My pal is a retired English teacher, taught English in Northern Thai high schools for 30 years, can't speak one word of English, either I speak Thai, or we get by with gestures.

My daughter failed English in Matayom 3 (age 15) because the English teacher was upset by my kids perfect English. Went to the school to shout at the teacher, had to shout in Thai as she couldn't speak one word of English either.

My son (age 8 ) gets very low marks for English in school, he says the English teacher is so bad, he can't be bothered to speak to him. Can't say I blame him.

This is the reason a decent education is expensive. If you don't want the above happening then put your kid in a school where English is taught, not Thailish.

10 hours ago, EricTh said:

What you should have said is you know many farang who have been there years and still can't speak Thai. Very, very, very, very, very, very few non-Thai-born folk - and even Thais for that matter - can't speak Thai perfectly, likely including yourself. I doubt my son can and he was born there and it's his first language.

8 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

1. I was born in London.U.K. I am fluent in English, but I speak with a south of England accent, but not East London (Cockney)

2. I have a regional accent, as does everybody, even though I spent most of my adult life in British Columbia.. 

You haven't mentioned what your regional accent is, being a native English speaker from the USA. 

I said I'm from New Jersey, parents were from Brooklyn. People from Brooklyn sound like they are from New York, and the accent is different.

9 hours ago, n00dle said:

Ok, so I have sat here, read through your posts, watched you mix and match your terms, attempted to understand what you were trying tonsay and make you understand the inconsistencies in what you actually were saying.

I became convinced you were a sort of internet genius - a very accomplished wind-up-artist, who somehow knew exactly how to push all my buttons. A troll savant if you will.

So I did something I rarely do, I checked your post history, and I discovered something far worse: that you are genuine.

That you actually mean what you are saying, and you beleive you are correct.

That you are unaware of how poorly you understand the words you are using: ie accent, native, and fluent, just to pick a few from this last post.

And I realized that as of this post, there is little point in attempting to further discuss any of it with you. You are far too simple to be reasoned with.

I was correct when I earlier commented on your blind spot. You beleive this dreck you spout, it is akin to talking to a religious zealot - pointless.

I wish you luck in your bubble.

I'm sorry you don't understand it's you that is wrong, but that I can see from your posts. I do understand the words accent, native and fluent, and I did correct my mistake. My meaning was that if you want to learn the correct pronunciation of English, you learn from a native English speaker, no matter where they are from. Accents can hurt pronunciation of course, and being fluent means whatever you speak comes out correctly. A native English speaker (teacher) does this. If you couldn't understand what I was trying to say, even though I made a mistake regarding grammar, you should have read everything. But it seems you did, and that you have absolutely no idea who you are talking to here. You actually looked through my past history, which is sad in itself, as you have nothing better to do than to try and correct others .  It is you that is a simple thinker, assuming you know someone from a few posts.  Yes, you know I'm genuine, but it's you that isn't. Might want to refrain from digging a deeper hole because mocking here is not only cowardly, it is against the rules.

Edited by fredwiggy