UK announces new post-Brexit global tariff regime

snoop1130

58 minutes ago, kingdong said:

so the" recession an unprecedented scale"is down to  brexit and there was me thinking  it was down to the international corona pandemic.

Ah, blame everything on the pandemic, not that that's been handled well with such a large number of deaths. 

Don't you think with the country on the ropes, it might not be such a good idea to strike it out alone?

Get well before leaving home  

1 hour ago, sungod said:

Your argument is the weakest I have seen, its pathetic but still you persist.

The majority who voted wanted to leave. The remainder either wanted to stay or just couldn't care and didn't vote. The ayes have it, its called democracy.

If you want to call it democracy, you have to say of the total electorate ( the democratic base), only 37% voted to leave.

On 5/20/2020 at 7:42 PM, impulse said:

Or they can choose products made in a different country...

They already can, they choose Chinese because they are cheaper and no other

country in the world has a manufacturing industry anywhere large enough

to compete.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

They already can, they choose Chinese because they are cheaper and no other

country in the world has a manufacturing industry anywhere large enough

to compete.

Yet many Chinese companies are outsourcing their labor to cheaper countries.

5 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

And once again only 34% of the total electorate voted to remain 37% is more than 34% hence we left the EU

Which also tells us the majority of people didn't care enough either way to vote. So who cares what they think anyway?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Which also tells us the majority of people didn't care enough either way to vote. So who cares what they think anyway?

I'm not sure a lot of thinking went on with this referendum.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bannork said:

Ah, blame everything on the pandemic, not that that's been handled well with such a large number of deaths. 

Don't you think with the country on the ropes, it might not be such a good idea to strike it out alone?

Get well before leaving home  

Ah blame everything on brexit,coronas an urban myth.....

2 minutes ago, bannork said:

It certainly doesn't help to go for a Brexit no deal when your economy is facked.

2 minutes ago, bannork said:

It certainly doesn't help to go for a Brexit no deal when your economy is facked.

Isn,t the global economy facked?

53 minutes ago, bannork said:

Fine, only don't call it the will of the people because it wasn't.

Brexit won and is being delivered. No amount of sulking or tedious name calling will change anything. The ???????? have been RTU'ed ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bannork said:

I'm not sure a lot of thinking went on with this referendum.

Forty+ years of thinking “We’ve been stuffed by our own politicians with the EU scam.” 

No enough for you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Loiner said:

The UK economy was actually doing quite well until a couple of months ago. Many of the main EU states were already beginning to tank. 

All despite four years of anti-Brexit propaganda and Remainer doomsaying. 

The impending No Deal could result in us being even less facked than any of the EU hopes and attempts at punishment. 

The Bank of England said the economy could sink by 14% this year. The biggest decline since 1706.

GDP could fall by 25% in the3 months to the end of June.

Now the UK government is selling bonds with a negative yield.. Official interest rates could go negative.

Read all about it.

Britain is in a tight spot of its own making...dumb and dumber.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/22/economy/uk-economy-coronavirus-brexit/

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bannork said:

The Bank of England said the economy could sink by 14% this year. The biggest decline since 1706.

Now the UK government is selling bonds with a negative yield.. Official interest rates could go negative.

Read all about it.

It's the same in most Western countries. The US are talking about a 40% drop in GDP with 50 million unemployed !! They are borrowing $5 trillion +. The baht will just get stronger in the face of this reckless action.

49 minutes ago, bannork said:

Read all about it.

Thanks, refer you to the post above (170) or have you conceded your argument is non existent?

Edited by sungod

2 hours ago, sungod said:

Thanks, refer you to the post above (170) or have you conceded your argument is non existent?

I don't accept your argument that those who didn't vote did not care. Some were too ill to vote, some were detained at Her Majesty's Pleasure, some, like myself, were abroad and had no idea they could vote in an referendum.

Still it's all too late now as the UK economy plummets towards oblivion.

1 minute ago, bannork said:

I don't accept your argument that those who didn't vote did not care. Some were too ill to vote, some were detained at Her Majesty's Pleasure, some, like myself, were abroad and had no idea they could vote in an referendum.

You have been abroad for forty years. ????????????????

21 minutes ago, vogie said:

You have been abroad for forty years. ????????????????

No, only 35 years. Seems like yesterday, but that's because time stops still in Thailand, one is constantly living in the present.

32 minutes ago, bannork said:

So, please answer my question on the scenario of the Scots in an Independence vote, on your logic even though the majority would want independence they should stay as not everyone voted right? Simple yes or no please.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, sungod said:

So, please answer my question on the scenario of the Scots in an Independence vote, on your logic even though the majority would want independence they should stay as not everyone voted right? Simple yes or no please.

That's the problem with referendums, right there in your last sentence- a simple yes or no. In Brexit did yes to leave mean leave with a deal or not? 

The situation is too complex to be solved by a simple yes or no.

Regarding Scotland or any referendum, the problem of non voters can be dealt with by making voting compulsory as in 22 countries. Voters would have the choice to disagree with either option if they wished but at least everyone would have expressed a view and a majority opinion could be ascertained.

Of course a problem in Scotland is the chronic alcoholism which could lead some voters to tick the wrong box.

How drunk must one be to have one's vote discarded?

But I digress, ( only an old joke dear TV Scots), make voting compulsory then see the results.

20 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Thanks , Yes I forgot to mention that since the election Labour actually dropped 4% before they recover that loss and yes with the Conservative running at 53% in April blows out way the 53%  that voted for parties which promised a referendum in December

as most of the Conservative gains are coming for the Lib-dems losing 6% since the election

Except that the Conservatives had dropped to 48% by 19th May, probably lower now.

However, I have said many times that opinion polls are unreliable as they only count a few thousand at most. In the GE the whole electorate had the chance to express an opinion, and of those who did, 53% voted for a final referendum on the deal.

But as I said, it's a moot point because there is no way that Cummings and his political underling will ever allow it and their majority in the house is too large for Conservative rebels to force them into holding one.