Cancelled Thai Airways flights

I had flights from Rome to Chiang Mai in May cancelled due to Covid-19. I bought the ticket through Expedia who have assured me that it will be refunded by the airline. As Thai Airways has now filed for bankruptcy, what are the chances of still getting this refund?

If Thai was atol protected, then you need apply to the civil aviation authority for a refund. 

As long as the airline is atol protected, then you need not worry. 

That said, these are unprecedented times, and the sheer numbers of airlines that will be hovering close to liquidation, will no doubt put a huge strain on the capability of CAA to reimburse all passengers. 

Does anyone know how flights originating in Thailand may be affected by the latest news?

Our travel agent has been fruitlessly trying to contact Thai for information but seems nobody is even answering their phones.

We were offered a full refund but seems this may have been overtaken by events.

I did read today that bankruptcy has been ruled out which is potentially good news but have zero idea how this impacts those awaiting fare refunds.

• Like 1

OP: Thai advised if you didn't book directly with them you have to go through the third party. Try accessing Thai's booking site for Italy to see if you gain more detail. At least here in Australia, will depend on when you acquired the ticket which is traced by the ticket number. Thai advised me if I cancelled my ticket it would take a minimum of six months for a refund to be processed. My understanding is Thai can continue operations during their restructure under Thai law, so will have to wait and see if that means Thai will honour existing bookings / refunds via third parties / direct bookings.  

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

Any time you book through a third party that third party not the airline is who you will have to get the refund from. It’s the same with canceled flights, you are the third party’s responsibility not the airline. 

Had 4 tickets booked with airmiles, but about the cost of 1 ticket in taxes. 

We cancelled the flights, asked for money and miles back. They said returning the money will take 180 days at least, just like a previous poster mentioned.

Happy its just airmiles (and a bit of money) gone, we will survive this all.

1 hour ago, paddyfield7 said:

I had 4 confirmed bookings with Thai in Business class in April and June, and all were cancelled. They said I should contact their local office in Chiang Mai, which, however, is closed down since months. Alternatively they proposed to call their service center, but there noone take a call for hours. Their website is permanently locked und unaccessible. I booked direct with TG, but have zero hopes to get just one Satang back. One more airline on my blacklist, even if they would have a revival one day.

I can't speak for many countries....BUT, In the USA most credit cards have a built in feature that protects the card holder from losses such as this (bankruptsies, failure to receive what you paid for, Etc.)

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND taking the time to contact your credit care company to check if they will help you.... PRESUMING you paid with a credit card.... I ALWAYS use a credit card and have been protected and refunder a number of times......

• Like 2

Just for info, having read this thread this morning, in particular about TG not answering the phone, I tried to call TG to make a booking for my cancelled segment BKK LHR (canx by TG).  I got through instantly, after the pre-recorded spiel of course, and successfully rebooked for early July.  OK, whether they extend the no flights to Europe beyond July 1st remains to be seen.  But, moral of the story, it is worth trying to phone them.

I would just add to comments earlier, they haven't yet filed for bankruptcy PROTECTION, nor have they yet sacked 6000 staff, but the Govt has indicated they will need to lose that many, without specifying over what timescale. 

• Like 1

My Thai Airways flight on 2 April to UK was cancelled by them and they confirmed a refund would be made in 4-6 weeks.

I chased them up at 4 weeks and they said that it would now take 6-8 weeks instead due to demand.

We are in week 7 now and still no refund.

Unfortunately I used a Debit card rather than Credit card.

My return flight to UK was also cancelled.

Both Thai Air and Crystal Travel were ignoring my requests for a refund.  Thai Air eventually told me I must pursue the agent.

Three emails sent to agent had been ignored but eventually I managed to get through on an "on-line chat".  The agent was insistent that I re-booked the flight and seemed to have no grasp of the fact that I had already returned to the UK on another carrier and all Thai flights are cancelled until further notice !

I am now told that my refund will be processed but will take a further 6-8 weeks - so we are potentially looking at four months overall - and if I receive anything I am sure I will only receive a small proportion of what it actually cost me to book a single flight home !

Edited by hidbehindthesofa

My 23 April flight from Heathrow to Bangkok cancelled on 26 March. I booked through Dial A Flight. Always found them excellent. They told me Thai Airways have been performing well on.the refunds and Dial A Flight refunded me on 10 May. My one and only experience if Crystal Travel ended up with me successfully taking them to the small claims court.

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

at least your being honest with yourself and not like some ... 

Some /many are likely rather more informed than you and have explored their rights concerning refunds,for example the joint liability your credit card company may have for non delivery of goods or services. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 6:02 PM, purplesage said:

I had flights from Rome to Chiang Mai in May cancelled due to Covid-19. I bought the ticket through Expedia who have assured me that it will be refunded by the airline. As Thai Airways has now filed for bankruptcy, what are the chances of still getting this refund?

I have the same problem. I am calling my bank to dispute the charge. 

On 5/22/2020 at 9:50 AM, paddyfield7 said:

Alternatively they proposed to call their service center, but there noone take a call for hours. 

What number did you call? I didn't have any issue reaching customer service yesterday. Made changes to my existing reservations and booked a new flight without any problem.

3 hours ago, sitti said:

What number did you call? I didn't have any issue reaching customer service yesterday. Made changes to my existing reservations and booked a new flight without any problem.

Sorry, don't remember the numbers called. There were so many, and my wife did. Goof for you you were luckier......

On 5/22/2020 at 11:39 AM, kensawadee said:

I can't speak for many countries....BUT, In the USA most credit cards have a built in feature that protects the card holder from losses such as this (bankruptsies, failure to receive what you paid for, Etc.)

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND taking the time to contact your credit care company to check if they will help you.... PRESUMING you paid with a credit card.... I ALWAYS use a credit card and have been protected and refunder a number of times......

I'm a Swiss expat and used an AMEC credit card. Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try.....