Does the 1 year marriage visa have a "never dip below X Baht" rule?

I heard that the retirement visa doesn't allow your balance to go below 400k (out of 800k) for the entire year. Does the marriage visa (which is 400k) extension have the same rule? Never below 200k or something like that?

• Haha 1

No - no year-round minimum balance rule. 

But do be aware, that there is an "under consideration" period after you apply for this extension (unlike retirement), and that some offices have decided that the specified 2 months before applying for the extension is not enough.  They are breaking the rules, and requiring you re-verify you still have the 400K in your account when you return to get your final year-stamp. 

The "under consideration" period is usually 30 days after applying for the extension, but some have reported being told to return another 30 days later - so you could be without your money for up to 4 months.

• Like 1

I read have another option and I heard no need to keep money in the bank;

Proof of 400k baht in the bank for 2 months by way of a letter from your bank and your bank book or 40k baht income.proven by a income letter from your embassy.

2 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

I read have another option and I heard no need to keep money in the bank;

Proof of 400k baht in the bank for 2 months by way of a letter from your bank and your bank book or 40k baht income.proven by a income letter from your embassy.

Income is a different ball-game. 

If your embassy provides the letter, you must have it.  For those w/o access to the embassy-letter (because those embassies were asked by immigration not to provide it any more), they must show a record of 40K bank-transfers, which are proven as international in origin.  In both of these cases, some officies will insist on additional proof the income is "from a state pension." 

Then there are those who work here (legal on a Non-O for marriage), which entails their employer obtain new originals of all the paperwork needed to get your work-permit, in addition to showing the work-permit, pics from work, and other things.

Of course, all this varies from one office to the next, and at the same office over time.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Income is a different ball-game. 

If your embassy provides the letter, you must have it.  For those w/o access to the embassy-letter (because those embassies were asked by immigration not to provide it any more), they must show a record of 40K bank-transfers, which are proven as international in origin.  In both of these cases, some officies will insist on additional proof the income is "from a state pension." 

Then there are those who work here (legal on a Non-O for marriage), which entails their employer obtain new originals of all the paperwork needed to get your work-permit, in addition to showing the work-permit, pics from work, and other things.

Of course, all this varies from one office to the next, and at the same office over time.

Thanks for the information. Now is clear. I’m thinking to changue next month my  annual extension visa (8 years already) to marriage visa and have a letter from embassy of my state pension.

18 hours ago, Tarteso said:

I’m thinking to changue next month my  annual extension visa (8 years already) to marriage visa and have a letter from embassy of my state pension.

When you can get a letter from your embassy confirming your state pension, why would you change to a 1-year extension for reason of marriage, and not simply keep your present 1-year extension for reason of retirement?

The only reason I can think of is that your state pension is less than the 65K/month for the retirement extension, but that it meets the 40K/month for the marriage extension.

But even if you do not meet the 65K/month for a 1-year extension of your Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, you could enquire at your local IO whether they accept the combination method (and that would require you to only keep the annual difference between the 65K and your state pension, on your personal bank-account).

Be aware that a 1-year extension for reason of retirement is far less admin hassle than one for reason of marriage, so if you can keep the retirement one by making use of an embassy-letter there is really no point in switching to an extension for reason of marriage.

• Like 1

OP wrote > I heard that the retirement visa doesn't allow your balance to go below 400k (out of 800k) for the entire year. Does the marriage visa (which is 400k) extension have the same rule? Never below 200k or something like that?

RETIREMENT > When you are on 1-year extension of stay based on a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, you need to keep at least 800K on your personal bank-account in the 2 months preceding your application and 3 months after your application, and during the 7 months in between you need to keep at least 400K on that personal bank-account.

MARRIAGE > When you are on 1-year extension of stay based on a Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage, you only need to keep 400K on your personal bank-account in the 2 months preceding your application and you need to keep it there till your application has been approved (which can take 3-4 weeks).  The intermediate 9 months there is no minimum limit and you can use the funds as you like (but need to top up again to 400K two months before your next 1-year extension).

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Yankeesvsredsox said:

I keep the 400k and another 100k for emergencies here . The rest is in the states 4 days away, in bank transfer requirements

One of the more sensible answers, keep the 400k in a separate account and forget about it, as I do, very prudent, the rest is in the UK. In a emergency, Transfer Wise has been able to get the money in my Thai Bank Account is one day, from the UK.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

This topic just goes round and round.

Would Peter Denis please provide a link to the Police/Immigration order that requires the 400k to be still in one's bank until the 1yr (martiage) extension is issued?

I've never seen it, nor has this been asked for or enforced at my local IO over the past 5 extensions.

Every office is different. What one office might want/require another office won't.  Just keep doing as you have been.

On 5/19/2020 at 8:37 AM, Tarteso said:

Thanks for the information. Now is clear. I’m thinking to changue next month my  annual extension visa (8 years already) to marriage visa and have a letter from embassy of my state pension.

Hi,
As usual in the past I applied with the option of an Embassy letter certifying a monthly pension income of 40+ thousand Baht.
According to IO officer at Jomtien IO the option of an embassy certification letter is NO LONGER available since March 2020, only the two remaining options of 12-monthly-bank transfer or, the 400.000 Baht on bank account since 2 months at filing date of extension of stay is acknowledged.

Due to lack of 400.000 Baht in bank account for 2 months my application has been denied.

Whether it officially became mandatory or it's an arbitrariness, I don't know. I learned not to successfully discuss with IO.

3 hours ago, orchidfan said:

Would Peter Denis please provide a link to the Police/Immigration order that requires the 400k to be still in one's bank until the 1yr (martiage) extension is issued?

I've never seen it, nor has this been asked for or enforced at my local IO over the past 5 extensions.

It is not.  The offices doing it - including headquarters Chang Wattana - are breaking the rules.  The rules state "2 months prior to application" PERIOD. 

But it does not matter what the rules say, because immigration lacks accountability to any standard.  Breaking the rules leads to more agent money going up the chain, therefore, the chain doesn't enforce the rules, as it does in civilized bureaucracies.

5 minutes ago, peteralex said:

According to IO officer at Jomtien IO the option of an embassy certification letter is NO LONGER available since March 2020, only the two remaining options of 12-monthly-bank transfer or, the 400.000 Baht on bank account since 2 months at filing date of extension of stay is acknowledged.
Due to lack of 400.000 Baht in bank account for 2 months my application has been denied.

Whether it officially became mandatory or it's an arbitrariness, I don't know. I learned not to successfully discuss with IO.

Having been denied there for that extension 3 times on ever-changing "unpublished requirements" (landlord-docs), I sympathize.  See my previous response for why this is the case. 

Sounds like they have been discussing tactics with the Non-O-Visa (change of status / conversion) desk there - where I was told it was 400K seasoned 2 months or forget it - no letters, no income, period.  Never mind there is NO Seasoning required in the rules, to apply for Non-O 90-day from tourist application.  That office has required a 15K "contribution" per 90-day stamp for years.

2 hours ago, ericthai said:

Every office is different. What one office might want/require another office won't.  Just keep doing as you have been.

But, also be prepared for surprises, when some IO in the chain wants a lifestyle-upgrade. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, peteralex said:

Hi,
As usual in the past I applied with the option of an Embassy letter certifying a monthly pension income of 40+ thousand Baht.

I understand that you got the 12 monthly bank transfer and your application was been denied?

Immigration roulette abounds !

You have the rules as published.(Offical)

You have the rules as interpreted by local Office,

You have the rules as he/she wants them to be (the officer on the day).

rarely any consistency. Its an Immigration Roulette.

One thing you can be sure of, the house ALWAYS wins !

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tarteso said:

I understand that you got the 12 monthly bank transfer and your application was been denied?

No, I didn't.
I have my pension payments transferred irregularly from my German bank account into a Thai "EUR currency account" and from there, depending on EUR/Baht exchange rate, transferred to my regular TBaht saving account at the applicable TT exchange rate at this day. By this means I can reduce expensive international transfer fees and, I can control when the mentioned EUR/Baht exchange rate appears "suitable".
A REgular monthly transfer from the German Bank account to THailand bank would be TOO costly and I have to accept any miserable exchange rate.

I choose the 400.000 Baht/2 months option in Thai bank account now, since the marriage extension of stay is expiring on 22 May but before completing the 2-month rule,  I have to apply for a 60-day extension.

Edited by peteralex
Added Information
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Don’t forget that I’m not the one who have the strange feeling, when visit IO, that we’re going to be crucified and thrown into the lions.. ????

Edited by Tarteso

5 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Don’t forget that I’m not the one who have the strange feeling, when visit IO, that we’re going to be crucified and thrown into the lions.. ????

If its anything like I went through 2 weeks ago, its worse than that !!

80 plus pages of application !!!, Good luck, hope your experience is better than mine!

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

If its anything like I went through 2 weeks ago, its worse than that !!

80 plus pages of application !!!, Good luck, hope your experience is better than mine!

What was this for, marraige extension? What docs?

Why are you doing anything, thought we were all exempt till July 31st?

What immigration office?

11 hours ago, orchidfan said:

I wrote (post #10) > MARRIAGE > When you are on 1-year extension of stay based on a Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage, you only need to keep 400K on your personal bank-account in the 2 months preceding your application and you need to keep it there till your application has been approved (which can take 3-4 weeks).  The intermediate 9 months there is no minimum limit and you can use the funds as you like (but need to top up again to 400K two months before your next 1-year extension).

>> The IO regulations only stipulate that when using the money-in-bank method when applying for the 1-year extension to stay based on a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage, that the funds have to be 2 MONTHS on your personal thai bank-account before the day of application.

However, there are many reports of IOs adding additional 'seasoning' requirements, e.g.:

- A couple of rogue IOs insist that when applying first time for the 1-year extension based on your Non Imm O - marriage Visa, that the funds need to be 3 months on your personal thai bank-account;

- Several IOs insist that when you come to collect your passport with the approved 1-year extension of your Non Imm O - marriage (3-4 weeks after your application) that you need to show that the 400K is still on your personal thai bank-account.

>> Since it is up to the discretion/interpretation of the local IO how they enforce the IO regulations, it is recommended to enquire beforehand at your local IO how they apply the rules in order to avoid being taken by surprise by such additional local add-ons.

14 hours ago, Johnthplumb said:

One of the more sensible answers, keep the 400k in a separate account and forget about it, as I do, very prudent, the rest is in the UK. In a emergency, Transfer Wise has been able to get the money in my Thai Bank Account is one day, from the UK.

Nationwide 24 hrs now i put reason of transfer as "Sustenance"

9 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Yet again i will post my favorite rule on the list given to me.

copy.jpg.f0ef86affdaac2a2be2467dab6c01f85.jpg  :unsure:

• Haha 1

While it's possible it is also highly unlikely that an employer would effectively sponsor your non o salary method. This is just more hassle for them as they are routinely accustomed to doing a B visa. Doubly so for schools.

It's not worth it for you either bc if you leave the job the visa goes as well. So it's really a moot point. Income is not the way to go.

It's really not the way to go for any visa any longer but there will be stalwarts continuing to bang their heads on the wall and return here to cry about their visas not being issued.

For all intents and purposes the banked method is the only method for sane people. All the rest are undoubtedly robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Edited by Number 6

25 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

While it's possible it is also highly unlikely that an employer would effectively sponsor your non o salary method. This is just more hassle for them as they are routinely accustomed to doing a B visa. Doubly so for schools.

They do not sponsor anything. It is actually much less paperwork for them. All they need to do is help with is the proof of income and possibley a copy of the company registration.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They do not sponsor anything. It is actually much less paperwork for them. All they need to do is help with is the proof of income and possibley a copy of the company registration.

That's what I and my employer thought.  It makes sense - you just need to prove your income and show a work-permit - right?

But when I went to do the extension, they wanted all the work-permit paperwork originals, again.  I had copies in my folder (always trying to be prepared for anything) - but that was not good enough.  This was at CW. 

Work-income + family-based Non-O is worse than a Non-B, now, because in addition to needing all the Non-B type paperwork, you also get the scrutiny of your relationship to the Thai, plus landlord-docs, etc - added on-top. 

18 hours ago, Number 6 said:

For all intents and purposes the banked method is the only method for sane people. All the rest are undoubtedly robbing Peter to pay Paul.

"Robbing" - aka "working a job legally."  Interesting translation. 

Edited by JackThompson

27 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Work-income + family-based Non-O is worse than a Non-B, now, because in addition to needing all the Non-B type paperwork, you also get the scrutiny of your relationship to the Thai, plus landlord-docs, etc - added on-top. 

That only your bad experience. 

Others have not needed all of that. Work permit paperwork is not all that much.

There is certainly a very long list of documents required to apply for a extension based upon working.

48 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

You don't need all the Non B type paperwork to obtain an extension based on marriage.

The only difference is your proof of income paperwork, i.e. Thai Tax receipts as opposed to monthly overseas transfers.

You repeatedly call out Immigration because of your own inadequacies to provide the correct paperwork to qualify for an extension based on marriage.