Would an Android TV Box be able to do this ?

tomgreen

I know very little about Android TV boxes so I'm hoping some one here may be able to help me.

Ive just moved house and have a new wireless router which is now connected to my Laptop ( running Linux Mint ) via an Ethernet cable and also from the same new wireless router I have another Ethernet cable running directly to my LG smart TV. 

The LG Smart TV can see my laptop via the routers Ethernet cable connection. I now want to be able to watch my media video content stored on a permanent 1 TB USB external hard drive connected to the laptop . I would prefer not to use media streaming programs like Kodi or Plex Media Server .

I was wondering if an Android TV box connected to my smart TV in some way would allow me to see my video content stored on the 1 TB external hard drive plugged into my laptop .

Thanks 

1. As Bramley suggests, just connect to the LG SmartTV via HDMI.

2. If you'd rather connect and pull data over the Ethernet connection, then run a web server daemon (or SAMBA) on the laptop and connect to it from the LG SmartTV via its web browser.

3. You might also be able to 'cast' content from any device running a "Chrome" browser (android phone, android box, linux laptop) and direct it to the LG SmartTV.   

• Like 2

If it's a new smart TV, you can plug the HDD straight into a USB port in the TV and play the media.

As others have said, a HDMI cable from the laptop to TV is cheap and easy, or you could possibly cast from the laptop to the smart TV, if it has Chromecast or another casting app installed. 

3 minutes ago, steve187 said:

on my lg smart tv i can plug my 2.5inch external 1tb usb3 harddrive direct into the tv,  and access all files and play movies stored,

You posted just as I was finishing typing.

Yes, I plug a HDD directly into the TV.  I can also record onto a HDD this way.

It depends on the make, model, and age of the OP's TV, but this feature has been around for a while. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tomgreen said:

I was wondering if an Android TV box connected to my smart TV in some way would allow me to see my video content stored on the 1 TB external hard drive plugged into my laptop .

Thanks 

How would you connect the hard drive to your Android TV box? Can you move it and plug it in directly (simplest) to box or must it stay connected to the laptop?

The Android TV box will play files off of any connected hard disk or maybe your TV will just play them anyway if you plug the hard disk into the TV direct and there is no need for a Android TV box? I have found Android TV box play more file formats than some smart TVs. I also use Kodi on my Android TV box (that isn't obsolete at all as mentioned by someone else here) but will catalogue and display your movie/TV collection on the 1TB hard drive to make it simpler to peruse.

14 hours ago, tomgreen said:

I would prefer not to use media streaming programs like Kodi

Connect the laptop directly to the TV with a HDMI cable as suggested, but why not use Kodi, it's very good at organising and playing stored media.

Media box is a good way to go for avoiding plugging in/out cables. It also doesn't tie up your computer or otherwise use computer resources to play media for you.

1. Attach the 1 TB external drive to the box. Run an FTP server on the box and just transfer files via FTP from your laptop as needed. File maintenance easily done via your FTP client or an Android file explorer. 

You can also download files directly to your drive there via a torrent client or browser.

Or

2. Set up an Samba share for the drive attached to your laptop and, across the network, access the media files there from a player such as VLC running on the box. This takes a bit more fooling around.

However, a media server on your laptop your smart TV can see would be most convenient, if you can overcome your resistance to the idea.

3 hours ago, JoePai said:

As my OS is Windows I simply plug this Adaptor* into the back of the TV and stream from anywhere in the house to the TV. I find it (nearly) idiot proof

* https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/adapters/wireless-display-adapter-2/p3q-00001

where did you buy it, the store shows 49.95 USD (around 1,500 baht) a couple weeks ago saw it in lazada anywhere from 2,439 to 2,990 baht

4 hours ago, JoePai said:

As my OS is Windows I simply plug this Adaptor* into the back of the TV and stream from anywhere in the house to the TV. I find it (nearly) idiot proof

* https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/adapters/wireless-display-adapter-2/p3q-00001

What a small house, as the range is listed as 23 feet and it needs a pretty clear path. Must be one of those new tiny homes.

You'll note that in the specs Linux is pointedly not mentioned as a supported OS. In fact the OP's Linux Mint doesn't support Miracast natively. Whether the add on package would work satisfactorily or not is a question. High resolution becomes an issue even with Windows devices. 

Nor does the OP necessarily need to stream wirelessly as both laptop and TV are wired.

20 hours ago, tomgreen said:

I would prefer not to use media streaming programs like Kodi

Kodi is not a media streaming program. There are addons that can be used to stream content, but Kodi itself doesn't stream. Kodi is best doing exactly what you are looking for. Share the hard drive on your laptop with samba or nfs and use kodi on the android box to manage and play your videos.

12 hours ago, Mavideol said:

where did you buy it, the store shows 49.95 USD (around 1,500 baht) a couple weeks ago saw it in lazada anywhere from 2,439 to 2,990 baht

Bought them in the US

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BigStar said:

What a small house, as the range is listed as 23 feet and it needs a pretty clear path. Must be one of those new tiny homes.

You'll note that in the specs Linux is pointedly not mentioned as a supported OS. In fact the OP's Linux Mint doesn't support Miracast natively. Whether the add on package would work satisfactorily or not is a question. High resolution becomes an issue even with Windows devices. 

Nor does the OP necessarily need to stream wirelessly as both laptop and TV are wired.

Use mine at least 10mt and through 2 solid walls so 23feet seems low.

I read the OS is Linux but I did say Windows - which is by far what most people use

As for using wires, majority do not these days as not necessary

1 hour ago, JoePai said:

Use mine at least 10mt and through 2 solid walls so 23feet seems low.

I read the OS is Linux but I did say Windows - which is by far what most people use

As for using wires, majority do not these days as not necessary

Not necessary except when it is, which would to be the case sometimes w/ this device. You seem to have got a good one. ????From Amazon reviews:

. . . it does not have a good enough Wi-Fi capability on it to get a solid steady picture even from about a table length away from me 4K TV while running laps up YouTube videos on it as there is video scrambling on it and it does not hold a steady picture.

. . .

Unfortunately I had to replace this with Microsoft's Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 Adapter because this wireless adapter (V2) has SERIOUS PROBLEMS WITH CONNECTION AND LAG. The connection would lag to the point of being unusable, or disconnect entirely, while doing anything GPU intensive.

. . .

My TV is about 10 feet away from where I had the laptop and connecting was a pain. Several attempts were made before it worked. Once connected the video was noticeably behind the screen updates. It would disconnect often and get screen artifacts while streaming video. We tried to stream Amazon video (Dr Who ???? ) and couldn't get through one episode without disconnects and artifacts would show up every minute or so. Another weird thing is if I moved the computer even two feet one way or another it would disconnect.