Trump defends his use of unproven treatment as prevention against coronavirus

webfact

Trump defends his use of unproven treatment as prevention against coronavirus

By Steve Holland and Jeff Mason

2020-05-19T182102Z_1_LYNXMPEG4I1LP_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-USA.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks about the nation’s food supply chain during a coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic response event in the Roosevelt Room at the White House in Washington, U.S., May 19, 2020. REUTERS/Leah Millis

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday defended taking a prescription malaria drug to try to ward off the novel coronavirus despite medical warnings about its use.

"People are going to have to make up their own mind," Trump said about hydroxychloroquine during a visit to the U.S. Capitol. "I think it gives you an additional level of safety."

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has warned about potential serious side effects with the use of the drug in COVID-19 patients.

Weeks ago, Trump had promoted the drug as a potential treatment based on a positive report about its use against the virus, but subsequent studies found that it was not helpful.

U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday defended his use of a prescription malaria drug to try to ward off the novel coronavirus despite medical warnings, saying it was up to individuals to make their own decisions, but some lawmakers and researchers are cautioning against the use of the drug as a way to prevent people from contracting COVID-19. Colette Luke has more.

The White House physician, Sean Conley, said in a memo released late on Monday that he and the president had discussed the evidence for and against taking the drug and had agreed that "the potential benefit from treatment outweighed the relative risks."

Vice President Mike Pence, whose press secretary, Katie Miller, has contracted the coronavirus, told Fox News Channel in an interview that he was not taking the drug.

"I'm not but I would never begrudge any American taking the advice of their physician," Pence said, according to a transcript of the interview. He noted the FDA had approved "off-label use" of the drug when prescribed by a physician.

"My physician has not recommended that but I wouldn't hesitate to take the counsel of my doctor. Any American should do likewise," he said.

At a meeting later at the White House, Trump's cabinet members also defended the drug's efficacy in treating coronavirus infections.

"I think it's worth it as a line of defense and I'll stay on it for a little while longer," Trump said at the meeting. "It's gotten a bad reputation only because I'm promoting it."

(Additional reporting by Tim Ahmann and Susan Heavey; Editing by Tom Brown)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-20

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sujo said:

He cares if he gets it. Useless drug

He doesnt care if he spreads it. No mask.

Or he's been receiving other useful treatments that he won't admit to.  Plasma transfusions?    

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I disagree. It has a bad reputation as dozens of qualified medical personnel have stated as a result of scientific evidence that it is useless in fighting covid, especially if you have a serious case. The fact that Trump can't let it go and admit he was wrong is pathetic.

We don't know whether he is right or wrong, because nobody knows for sure. At least Trump recommended we make up our own minds.

What a welcome change from having them made up for us by so-called experts - most of whom can't even agree among themselves even what day it is.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Yes, what sage advice! Don't listen to the experts, make up your own mind. If you discover a lump in your throat that keeps growing don't seek advice from the experts - make up your own mind. If you discover a funny looking patch of skin make up your own mind as to whether you should head back to the beach without any sun screen or make an appointment with a dermatologist.

If the experts say don't use a prescription malaria drug to treat Covid-19 don't listen to them, make up your own mind. And while you're thinking about it why not try injecting some form of disinfectant and shove a UV light up your butt? Why not, it might work!

Make up you're own mind because your opinion is just as informed as these so-called experts, with their fancy degrees and years of research!:crazy:

On a more serious note; One guy (can remember who) recently said that this presidency reminds him of one continuous episode of Jackass. He was absolutely spot on.

A long-winded ramble around the mulberry bush for nothing. Trump checked with the White House's chief physician before taking the medication. Besides. . . 

An international poll of thousands of doctors rated the Trump-touted anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine the best treatment for the novel coronavirus.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/02/hydroxychloroquine-most-effective-coronavirus-treatment-poll/

As for trusting health "experts. . . did you know that medical negligence is the third most common cause of death in the US after heart disease and cancer?

Ah, well, I guess you can't make an omelette . . . 

https://aeelaw.com/medical-negligence-the-third-largest-killer-in-the-us/

• Like 1