Thailand's entertainment industry can't just do something else instead because of Covid-19, says insider

webfact

56 minutes ago, baansgr said:

I've lived in a lot of places in Thailand and would certainly not call Pattaya a dump...has an easy immigration office, fantastic transport system with baht buses, probably the most expat shops/supermarkets anywhere in Thailand,  Survhabhumi is easy to reach, good seasons unlike the South with hot or rain...many other things also...just what exactly makes Pattaya a dump?

Dont get me wrong I love the place but it is what it is, It's a dump. Reasons there are many to many, to name a few obvious in your face reason are. Weather buying food, and baht busses has nothing to do with the state of the place. The beach footpath as well as many roads in and around the city have been under construction for years. The beach itself and water is so polluted to dangerous levels, people sleeping rough as well the number of very low end hookers. During season busses packed in along beach road blowing diesel fumes and beach views of the beach if you fancy a drink in any number of bars along the beach road. Often I sit there while the missus is in shopping at central. During the rainy season poor planning of the infrastructure many roads in and around Pattaya become rivers flooding many homes and businesses. Mate I could go on and on, it is what it is. This does not take away the many good years i have enjoyed living here. I agree it has many plus points but as a beach resort it is a dump

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Health Ministry again - interesting, many ministries float ideas and opinions on subjects which are actually the responsibility of ..... another ministry. 

This time it is not sweetheart minister Anutin (remember, the gentleman who referred to the alien crowd as the "dirty farang" and wanted to kick-out all "farang no wear mask"). This time it is a real medical doctor, Dr Khamnuan Ungchusak.

He might have a clue, what Pattaya is known for as he is referred to in "Sexual behaviours on HIV and sexual transmitted infection among female commercial sex workers in Phuket" (©http://libdcms.nida.ac.th/thesis6/2010/b168377.pdf) ; a dissertation which got written in 2010! 

Arguably, these girls who worked in a non-existing profession and were of substantially responsible for Pattaya's accomodation of tourists, could be retrained into making artificial flowers or other lost professions. 

The oligarch elite is now being caught up much, much faster than anyone expected. They kept the majority of the population poorly (if at all) educated. The chauvinist structure of the Thai society ensured most women to think being second class (but still ahead of the dirty farangs). Many girls, due to the lack of straight addressing issues like contraceptives and proper education, got pregnant and the child's fathers often disappeared into thin air.

I have not heard of a single case where a woman pursued her right in the courts for support and alimony. They rather dump the kid with parents/grand parents and head for urban areas. The financial pressure is kept on the mothers, their face in the village is lost and yet they have to send money home for their child born out of wedlock. 

Some girls are simply unable to work anything else, the majority is unwilling to work something else. It's the easier money (compared to working in the field or in - meanwhile also closed - factories), drowning nightly in alcohol and other substances, gambling - the works. Some of them fished a "dirty farang" and left for far-away lands; the rest left Pattaya as most of these girls were not even paid the accrued salaries, lady drink commissions nor their take on the bar fines. 

The chickens are coming home to roost in big flocks - stay tuned for much more on the subject anytime soon; the writing is on the wall. The Health Ministry again - interesting, many ministries float ideas and opinions on subjects which are actually the responsibility of ..... another ministry.

5 hours ago, Oldie said:

Endless bars here in Pattaya have been without (m)any customers even during the high season. I am always asking myself how they survive or if they are perhaps only used for money laundering.

I think this bar business is outdated and should be replaced by more appealing things. Could be the right time now to change this sex and booze image. Alone walking on the Beach Road in not Corona times is a sex hassle for "normal" tourists. But even yesterday when I had to walk to the post office - "I come with you", "boom boom" and other invitations for sex. An open air brothel open at daytime already and this even at Corona times. 

You lucky thing!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

indeed, horrible if i would lose my freedom and rights to live in a healthy society. 

restricting individual behaviour that endangers other peoples lives and so infringes on their freedom, rightly should not be allowed.

Just like people dont have "the freedom to be drunk and drive a car" people also dont have the right to unnecesarely risk spreading a very contagious and possible legal disease.

Sir I think you need to put on your face mask preferably the muzzle kind... 

50 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

This time it is not sweetheart minister Anutin (remember, the gentleman who referred to the alien crowd as the "dirty farang" and wanted to kick-out all "farang no wear mask"). This time it is a real medical doctor, Dr Khamnuan Ungchusak.

He might have a clue, what Pattaya is known for as he is referred to in "Sexual behaviours on HIV and sexual transmitted infection among female commercial sex workers in Phuket" (©http://libdcms.nida.ac.th/thesis6/2010/b168377.pdf) ; a dissertation which got written in 2010! 

Arguably, these girls who worked in a non-existing profession and were of substantially responsible for Pattaya's accomodation of tourists, could be retrained into making artificial flowers or other lost professions. 

The oligarch elite is now being caught up much, much faster than anyone expected. They kept the majority of the population poorly (if at all) educated. The chauvinist structure of the Thai society ensured most women to think being second class (but still ahead of the dirty farangs). Many girls, due to the lack of straight addressing issues like contraceptives and proper education, got pregnant and the child's fathers often disappeared into thin air.

I have not heard of a single case where a woman pursued her right in the courts for support and alimony. They rather dump the kid with parents/grand parents and head for urban areas. The financial pressure is kept on the mothers, their face in the village is lost and yet they have to send money home for their child born out of wedlock. 

Some girls are simply unable to work anything else, the majority is unwilling to work something else. It's the easier money (compared to working in the field or the - meanwhile closed - factories), drowning nightly in alcohol and other substances, gambling - the works. Some of them fished a "dirty farang" and left for far-away lands; the rest left Pattaya as most of these girls were not even paid the accrued salaries, lady drink commissions nor their take on the bar fines. 

The chickens are coming home to roost in big flocks - stay tuned for much more on the subject anytime soon; the writing is on the wall. 

You could bore an <deleted> in a wooden donkey.

Whorehouse by the sea. Gals, guys and in between available.

Farang bar lifestyle available. Decent golf courses available locally.

Food not bad.

Enjoy the best of all worlds.

There isn't anywhere like it. Anyone tells you any different is lying.

• Like 2

I still do not understand the thinking with all this, what can and cannot open. A food market can stay open, with people touching each others food etc. I can sit in a restaurant with other people nearby or ride on the packed out BTS/MRT, but the virus will only get me if i sit in a bar? 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

But suggesting that businesses and staff could just do something else less risky was nonsense and unrealistic. 

I beg to differ; Thailand can and will do something different or perish. International tourism the way we knew it is finished. Sure, it may make a modest comeback temporarily but it wont last. The sooner Thailand comes to grips with the inevitable, the better off it will be in the long run. The writing is on the wall for all that can read and "Denial" is not a river in Egypt. The World has changed and those that recognize this fact will fair the best in the long run.

7 minutes ago, saintbangkok said:

I still do not understand the thinking with all this, what can and cannot open. A food market can stay open, with people touching each others food etc. I can sit in a restaurant with other people nearby or ride on the packed out BTS/MRT, but the virus will only get me if i sit in a bar? 

Merely a bid for more money in the old "brown envelope". Once that transpires, all problems disappear.

12 minutes ago, Time to grow said:

I beg to differ; Thailand can and will do something different or perish. International tourism the way we knew it is finished. Sure, it may make a modest comeback temporarily but it wont last. The sooner Thailand comes to grips with the inevitable, the better off it will be in the long run. The writing is on the wall for all that can read and "Denial" is not a river in Egypt. The World has changed and those that recognize this fact will fair the best in the long run.

Of course the change is called the NEW NORMAL right?......Sorry but all of us dont plan on boarding the train to the new dystopia...

Edited by redwood1

This Health Ministry Advisor reminds me of a government "Engineer" who came to my place following complaints of no water for 5 weeks. He had a look round and pronounced that the reason I had no water was because I needed a bigger meter ! Very sad to see people here in positions of authority who have no idea or concept of reality ???? If such minds prevail then I see little hope for Thailand in the future, unless maybe reading suddenly becomes "IN" and all the entertainment places become libraries !

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Accidental Tourist said:

hmm...how can a Government help a semi or totally illegal business, which been just "ignored" since ever due bribes and greedy officials... this is pure insanity!

Insanity is in your post!

How are bars, clubs and discos illegal business???

They are fully legal business (as long as they own the correct licences).

• Like 1

He is an idiot and anti drinker. I kept my staff in my bar restaurant but stayed closed. If I cant open at the end of the month, I will lay off the staff demolish the building and make it a garage for my car collection. More Thais out of work, just what is needed for the Thai economy

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

then I see little hope for Thailand in the future, unless maybe reading suddenly becomes "IN" and all the entertainment places become libraries !

This should be a long way to go

as far as i can remember in 20 years of travels and

residency in thailand i have never seen a Thai reading a book

(Except the young ones with school books)

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Raphus said:

Well for me. What I keep seeing is that those in power have absolutely no idea about how to deal with it. After repeated questions from the press and no brain power to conclude a proper and positive plan, they get frustrated and come out with idiotic remarks.

My experience with governments in asia as a whole just reinforce what is happening here.

The brain power and education of these officials is so low, that they have completely no idea what to do and how to move forward.

It doesnt surprise me to see statements such as these posted by the so called leaders of the country.

Come and live in the UK where are clowns can't even get a track and trace app up and running.

Stay in Asia, its a joy compared to our self entitled masses.

As soon as i can get/allowed a flight to Thailand I'm away.

• Like 1

Isn’t this exactly what this Government have wanted from day one, they’ve tried everything to get rid of the bars by reducing opening hours and claiming that there are no longer prostitutes in Pattaya, this is just the excuse they need now to finally shut down any forms of pleasure !

• Like 1

So, how about the virus mutates within the next 12 months, to a far less infectious strain (as SARS1 and H1N1 etc did).

Then there will be no point taking a vaccine, and we can all get on with our lives as normal!
There, sorted!

I'll have a JD coke, and one for the lady also ????.

7 minutes ago, sapson said:

Are you fully recovered from the ordeal ...living in Pattaya the biggest brothel in the world and being invited for some fun must of been a shocking experience.

FYI: Biggest brothel in the World is said to be Daulatdia, in Bangladesh.