Thailand's entertainment industry can't just do something else instead because of Covid-19, says insider

webfact

21 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Musicians skills are only gained after years of hard work and do not really apply to any other job......Its a damm sad situation....

But things have been getting worse for musicians for decades already........Napster was the start of musicians wows.....Record sales started falling each year.....Then digital downloads stole most of musicians recording income....They only get fractions of a cent for digital downloads....

David Crosby and others have been very vocal about the music theft that is going on in the music industry...

Now if musicians cant play live they have almost zero income.....

Don’t think musicians on walking street are worried about their record contracts. They just want to feed their families.

19 hours ago, eddiebat said:

This was all falling apart before covid. Over Development too many bars ,markets, 711s ,Condos malls too much competition for an already dwindling market. The high Thai Baht is the real reason for tourist not coming here.

True, but don't forget the immigration issues for people who want to stay longer term.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah don't employ them so they can put food on the family table.... let em starve.

Another one who thinks he comes to the rescue of young people if he uses them for sex...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Oldie said:

Another one who thinks he comes to the rescue of young people if he uses them for sex...

I know, it's shocking. Fact is the sex trade is ripe with illegal activity, including human trafficking and exploitation of children. Of course non of the sad losers using hookers in Pattaya ever have anything to do with any of this, they will tell you they deal with legitimate hookers only who want to do it and tell stories of their heroic deeds feeding the families of the poor. It may be the women they use were not forced into prostitution but they will never know, they think it's just a business transaction, no harm done, no victim. They are either stupid or they fail to recognise that their activity is fueling the very industry that does support horrific activity, including child prostitution. Frankly it makes me sick, just the thought of those poor girls makes me desperately sad. None of them are real men, not one. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, recom273 said:

Going totally OT - But it really irritates me when I hear this recycled comment - there has always been bad music from all generations - people said the same about Punk.

Without argument, there are huge heaps of disposable electronic music, but there are stacks of music from the past 20 years that could be classified in the statement that have become classics for the new generation. Music is a constantly evolving medium, sometimes “we” get stuck in our ways, but it doesn’t mean its downfall of music as we know it. 

It does not matter what music you like or don't like, unless it is played by musicians playing musical instruments, it is not music at all, only computerised <deleted>.

Social distancing was impossle at bars and clubs and discos so they should just abandon the business and reassess their future.

What can one even say? How does one respond to a statement so inane, so devoid of compassion, so out of touch with reality, and so telling of just how ignorant a man Dr. Khamnuan Ungchusak is. He is obviously not fond of nightlife, and probably considers himself to be a very moral person, maybe even religious, hence the abhorrence to the nightlife (a fake puritan, no doubt). Thailand derives significant income from it's hundreds of thousands of pubs, bars, go-go bars, concert venues, and nightclubs. And millions of tourists are attracted to Thailand for it's nightlife. Obviously, there is going to be a natural re-set of some sort that will be taking place within the industry, with the fabulously boring and ridiculous "new normal". This is going to apply to nightlife worldwide. Millions will end up out of work. But, to just say "do something else"? Just abandon the business you have invested your life savings in? The business that likely supports your extended family. Where do they find these guys? How do they continue to rely on such BOB (bottom of the barrel) advisors and deeply unqualified appointees, so devoid of creative juice, it makes the mind spin. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Booboo101 said:

Isn’t this exactly what this Government have wanted from day one, they’ve tried everything to get rid of the bars by reducing opening hours and claiming that there are no longer prostitutes in Pattaya, this is just the excuse they need now to finally shut down any forms of pleasure !

If that is the case, then their income streams must be doing well, otherwise they would be giving the bars etc, a good incentive to open, doing all they can to get all the tourists back, sorting out certain immigration issues, devaluing the Baht.

So as I say members of the government must be happy with their own financial situation.

17 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Social distancing was impossle at bars and clubs and discos so they should just abandon the business and reassess their future.

What can one even say? How does one respond to a statement so inane, so devoid of compassion, so out of touch with reality, and so telling of just how ignorant a man Dr. Khamnuan Ungchusak is. He is obviously not fond of nightlife, and probably considers himself to be a very moral person, maybe even religious, hence the abhorrence to the nightlife (a fake puritan, no doubt). Thailand derives significant income from it's hundreds of thousands of pubs, bars, go-go bars, concert venues, and nightclubs. And millions of tourists are attracted to Thailand for it's nightlife. Obviously, there is going to be a natural re-set of some sort that will be taking place within the industry, with the fabulously boring and ridiculous "new normal". This is going to apply to nightlife worldwide. Millions will end up out of work. But, to just say "do something else"? Just abandon the business you have invested your life savings in? The business that likely supports your extended family. Where do they find these guys? How do they continue to rely on such BOB (bottom of the barrel) advisors and deeply unqualified appointees, so devoid of creative juice, it makes the mind spin. 

It is a hollow, meaningless comment but pretty much what we have come to expect right? For me I can only see 2 possible futures for Pattaya. Firstly, as much as I don't support prostitution the government could embrace the idea of being the "premier" sex tourist destination by legalising and heavily regulating prostitution. That way they can ensure safety for the women and erradicate or at least minimise the illegal activities that plague the industry. To enhance this idea they could legalise gambling as well. I can never see this happening because at the moment the idea that Pattaya is a sex tourist destination is almost aggressively denied by the government.

The other option is to become a high end beach resort destination, but I think Pattaya has gone too far with over development through greed and lost any natural beauty it had so this would take years of careful planning and investment. I spent a holiday in Mauritius not too many years ago, it was stunning, a true paradise with sensitive development preserving all the natural beauty. It is a once in a lifetime holiday for most (like me) or a frequent haunt for the wealthy people with very deep pockets. Unbeatbale service, warm friendly people, world class food, unspoilt beaches, basically all the things that Thailand seems keen to destroy in favour of tourist volumes rather then people spending big sums of cash.

i mentioned this point sometime earlier in a post but it seemed very a decent response to your post. 

Whatever the outcome Pattaya is going to suffer terribly, it was in decline before the virus now it will unlikely be the same again with hordes of tourists. Travellers will take time to evaluate where they can go now that is either cheaper or better equipped for a luxury holiday.

15 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

It is a hollow, meaningless comment but pretty much what we have come to expect right? For me I can only see 2 possible futures for Pattaya. Firstly, as much as I don't support prostitution the government could embrace the idea of being the "premier" sex tourist destination by legalising and heavily regulating prostitution. That way they can ensure safety for the women and erradicate or at least minimise the illegal activities that plague the industry. To enhance this idea they could legalise gambling as well. I can never see this happening because at the moment the idea that Pattaya is a sex tourist destination is almost aggressively denied by the government.

The other option is to become a high end beach resort destination, but I think Pattaya has gone too far with over development through greed and lost any natural beauty it had so this would take years of careful planning and investment. I spent a holiday in Mauritius not too many years ago, it was stunning, a true paradise with sensitive development preserving all the natural beauty. It is a once in a lifetime holiday for most (like me) or a frequent haunt for the wealthy people with very deep pockets. Unbeatbale service, warm friendly people, world class food, unspoilt beaches, basically all the things that Thailand seems keen to destroy in favour of tourist volumes rather then people spending big sums of cash.

i mentioned this point sometime earlier in a post but it seemed very a decent response to your post. 

Whatever the outcome Pattaya is going to suffer terribly, it was in decline before the virus now it will unlikely be the same again with hordes of tourists. Travellers will take time to evaluate where they can go now that is either cheaper or better equipped for a luxury holiday.

Good points. Legalizing it, like Singapore has done, would be a mature and smart move. It would allow Thailand to get past it's inane sense of false purity, and being in a constant state of denial, though the sex industry is all around you in Pattaya, and Bangkok. It would allow more taxation, which the government desperately needs, and perhaps they could take some proactive moves to attract the higher end tourism they seem to want so badly, by lowering luxury taxes and wine taxes.

Most wealthy tourists want to do some serious shopping while on vacation, and that cannot be done here, due to the insane cost of luxury goods. Wealthy people are generally smart, and not happy about being abused with regard to dumb pricing. Income and from these goods would go up perhaps as much as 1000%, if taxes were lowered to 20%, (from both international and domestic buyers, who would no longer wait to travel to buy a new 125,000 baht handbag, that currently costs 350,000 baht here) thereby doubling tax revenue, and allowing thousands of luxury stores to thrive, more arrivals of higher end tourists, and more revenue all around. Have you ever noticed how empty these luxury stores are in the malls? Have you ever looked at the prices? No wonder. Same applies to the department stores. Same applies to the wine industry, which could thrive here, as am industry generating billions, and countless much needed jobs. Abusive and draconian taxation is an outdated model. It does not apply to a modern and progressive society. Not any more. 

Time to wise up guys. It is a new world. Time to adjust, and get smart. Maybe it is time to replace the stunningly incompetent Pipat, as tourism minister, and get someone who is smart, competent, and imaginative. It is an emergency situation, after all. Behave like it, and do something productive for a change. Your people are hurting. Give them as much opportunity as possible. You owe that to them, as you have done so little for them during this emergency. 

Edited by spidermike007

4 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

I think it will be yourself that will need to find another hooker resort soon. Don't know where that will be, perhaps "nowhere" so you can keep the "Oldies" company. ????

Listen to yourself! Because I disagree with grumpy people wanting to change Pattaya in a way they would never have even gone there for a visit, forget about staying there... And, you at once tell I "will need to find another hooker resort soon", well, well...

Pattaya my place of choice? No, it isn't, at all! But guys like grumpy "Oldy", and maybe you kind of nuancated as a Judge Dread character, why do you think you would have any right to change the ways of a place just because you chose to go live there, not even in your country?

A bit Pharisaical, I'd say. I read that expression again a short while ago: "Like people who choose to go live close to an airport, and then complain about the noise"... 

Besides there are many, a lot, of very nice and quite locations around Pattaya, even quite close to the city centre which can be easily avoided, and good golf courses too...

Cheers

Edited by bangrak
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Good points. Legalizing it, like Singapore has done, would be a mature and smart move. It would allow Thailand to get past it's inane sense of false purity, and being in a constant state of denial, though the sex industry is all around you in Pattaya, and Bangkok. It would allow more taxation, which the government desperately needs, and perhaps they could take some proactive moves to attract the higher end tourism they seem to want so badly, by lowering luxury taxes and wine taxes.

Most wealthy tourists want to do some serious shopping while on vacation, and that cannot be done here, due to the insane cost of luxury goods. Wealthy people are generally smart, and not happy about being abused with regard to dumb pricing. Income from these goods would go up perhaps as much as 1000%, if taxes were lowered to 20%, (from both international and domestic buyers, who would no longer wait to travel to buy a new 125,000 baht handbag, that currently costs 350,000 baht here) thereby doubling revenue, and allowing thousands of luxury stores to thrive, more arrivals of higher end tourists, and more revenue all around. Have you ever noticed how empty these luxury stores are in the malls? Have you ever looked at the prices? No wonder. Same applies to the department stores. Same applies to the wine industry, which could thrive here, as am industry generating billions, and countless much needed jobs.

Time to wise up guys. It is a new world. Time to adjust, and get smart. Maybe it is time to replace the stunningly incompetent Pipat, as tourism minister, and get someone who is smart, competent, and imaginative. It is an emergency situation, after all. Behave like it, and do something productive for a change. 

Yes I agree they would charge too much and rich people are smart. i worked in China for years and the very rich wealthy guys worked out pretty quickly is if they wanted to buy luxury European fashion brands (such as Louis Vuitton) it was cheaper to fly to Europe on a big shopping trip and buy there rather then pay the prices being charged in China. Absolutely true, I saw it for myself on multiples of occasions. Now of course the fashion brands that heavily invested in China are now finding themselves heavily exposed with declining sales.

Thailand are in the same place as China, huge taxes and over inflated prices.

These are desperate times with very serious challenges for everyone. It's going to take smart and creative solutions to survive and thrive, does Thailand have the ability and cohonies to address this? I fear not.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bangrak said:

Listen to yourself! Because I disagree with grumpy people wanting to change Pattaya in a way they would never have even gone there for a visit, forget about staying there... And, you at once tell I "will need to find another hooker resort soon", well, well... I Pattaya my place of choice? No, it isn't, at all! But guys like grumpy "Oldy", and maybe you kind of nuancated as a Judge Dread, why do you think you would have any right to change the ways of a place just because you chose to go live there, not even in your country? A bit Pharisaical, I'd say. I read that expression again a short while ago: "Like people who choose to go live close to an airport, and then complain about the noise"... 

Besides there are many, a lot, of very nice and quite locations around Pattaya, even quite close to the city centre which can be easily avoided, and good golf courses too...

Cheers

I have every right to comment and express my opinion on somewhere. I had to live there for many years because my property was rented by the company I was working for and the location was sensible. Personally I could not wait to get myself and my family out of there. I also have a very strong opinion on the damage a rampant, unregulated sex industry does and the exploitation of young women just because they were born with limited opportunity. If you are not one of those people that uses the sex trade then ok, however I find it disturbing that you seem defend it and suggest I don't have the right to voice my opinion on it. Well, I think I will preserve my right to comment and have my own opinions thank you.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

There are people who work in Pattaya who don't use hookers. Its close to Laemchabang and the docks, buffoon.

Bufoon ............Is name calling really needed ?

I dont work in Pattaya but enjoy living here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GAZZPA said:

They don't have the money even if they had the know how.

They have the money all right, or they would be doing a lot more to attract tourists and expats instead of driving them away, and I mean even before the coronavirus.

Their individual pockets must be getting kept full, or you would see changes getting made now for the benefit of the people instead of staying on their power trips.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Bufoon ............Is name calling really needed ?

I dont work in Pattaya but enjoy living here.

I don't know who you are, you may indeed be a highly intelligent person, however my calling you a buffoon was based upon your silly post. If it has offended you so much then I apologise and retract it.

However if you are a supporter of the illegal sex trade then it still stands. ????

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Melody????????????? Noise more like.

???? Try the band London Grammar, perhaps the song called Strong.. Great music, beautiful lyrics, great vocal performance. Its very accessable.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

hahahaha, pot/ketle/black hit a bit close to home did it !!

What illegal sex trade are you talking about ?

Not at all, I don't understand the reference please explain how pot calling the kettle black applies to me? I don't use hookers and support the sex trade in anyway.

The illegal sex trade is all around you in Pattaya and may other locations in Thailand, why pretend you don't understand what I am talking about? Is this a game I also don't understand?

I wouldnt dare call Ice Cube a Bufoon !

only joking Don ????

you are right about The Electronic music thing though 

to dismiss it as not being creative is stupid

Edm does suck though

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Not offended in the slightest and by definition you are the clown in the thread, not I.

Well it does seem to have touched a nerve cause you going on about it a bit. Anyway, are you going to answer my questions or are they just nonsense comments from you as I suspect?

Wait,, is your answer that I am a clown?

If it is I will meet you in the playground after school..????????

yes it is a problem the top politicians are fast moving away from sex Flip and Flop are looking like ladyboys already, looking at the way Flip treats his wife I am sure she would be gone if he offers a good price, both pollies are quite at the moment think they in a state of shock at the loss of voters

1 minute ago, GAZZPA said:

It is electronic music my friend. I agree one of them was playing the guitar a bit but the rest was computers and sampling. Anyway, great talent and skill to produce music as good as that, glad you liked it.

Thanks, but may I say something. I was a professional musician before I came to Thailand, playing bass guitar and keyboards.

How long would it take for someone to learn to even make a nice sound on a computer compared to someone playing any musical instrument to a professional standard?

18 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Well it does seem to have touched a nerve cause you going on about it a bit. Anyway, are you going to answer my questions or are they just nonsense comments from you as I suspect?

Wait,, is your answer that I am a clown?

If it is I will meet you in the playground after school..????????

What was your question ?

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Thanks, but may I say something. I was a professional musician before I came to Thailand, playing bass guitar and keyboards.

How long would it take for someone to learn to even make a nice sound on a computer compared to someone playing any musical instrument to a professional standard?

I am not sure about this. I am not a musician. However, the melody and lyrics would require the same talent, right?

9 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

What was your question ?

Not at all, I don't understand the reference please explain how pot calling the kettle black applies to me? I don't use hookers and support the sex trade in anyway. The illegal sex trade is all around you in Pattaya and may other locations in Thailand, why pretend you don't understand what I am talking about? Is this a game I also don't understand?
  •