Video: Horrific head on smash in the rain claims four lives

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Horrific head on smash in the rain claims four lives

the rain has nothing to do with it 

it is not illegal to drive in the rain however doing it safely is something entirely different 

and from looking at the video - the white vehicle was very obviously driving far to fast for the conditions 

RIP

Edited by smedly
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Too fast and perhaps bad quality tires.

sitting at a traffic light yesterday and a Honda 1000RR stopped beside me - he had slicks on front and rear - apart from being illegal even in Thailand they are highly dangerous in the wet

37 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Toyota pickups have steel beds, not plastic!

they are still unbalanced and light at the rear and highly dangerous 

the ones they race have weights added to the rear to balance them out 

First that was crazy driving, In the past I have owned both a Toyota vigo and a D-Max and the D-Max is Superior to the vigo at road holding the slightest bit of rain the back end of the vigo you could feel it moving about.

The D-Max is a lot heavier so they tell me, I still have a D-Max slip it into 4X4 drive sweet as a nut

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keith101 said:

RIP       But absolute stupidity driving that fast in the rain .

They never slow down in the rain...even motorbikes

Ignorance of basic physics is frightening.

On a related note.

I've noticed in the past year or two, sh##loads of debris on the highways that has flown out the bed of pickups/trucks

I don't remember that much in the past

No idea that at 100+ kms per hour the wind will be of hurricane strength

and will dislodge anything not tied down

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lazeeboy said:

Hydroplaning is all too common in the rain doesn't matter how fast they were going once you loose it very hard to control itv

Especially if the tyres are "dodgy", as many are in Thailand. Look at the tyres of commercial vehicles and buses, in particular, whilst waiting at a red traffic light - you may be amazed!

1. You drive to road conditions...

2. you always drive in the left lane unless valid reason to drive in the right lane 

3. wrong place wrong time for one innocent victim 

4. one guy takes out 3 more....more effective rate than the virus...

5. seat belts do serve a purpose...

6. stupid is what stupid does...

Edited by cardinalblue
  • Sad 2

Everybody has been talking about the virus and forgot about the bad Thai drivers. No 1 Killer In Thailand and they have a police force that just stands by and watches it. I was actualy driving in the rain in ubon The speed limit is 80 klms . I was driving say around 60 klms because visibilty was very poor But the idiots flying past me had to be doing over 100Klms Coffins on wheels i call them

Pick up going far too fast for conditions. Wonder if the pajero driver was wearing a seatbelt as the cab area looks pretty ok . I’m constantly telling my Thai wife to put her seatbelt on , first thing I do when I get in the car .

20 hours ago, keith101 said:

RIP       But absolute stupidity driving that fast in the rain .

What you called stupidity I do call criminal just a slight difference in point of vue????

20 hours ago, lazeeboy said:

Hydroplaning is all too common in the rain doesn't matter how fast they were going once you loose it very hard to control itv

20 hours ago, 473geo said:

These utes are dangerous at high speed, the plastic bed at the back means there is no weight over the back wheels unless they are loaded, accidents waiting to happen.

I once saw a clown in an Dmax tailgating in the rain. Although the traffic was slow, he was able to have the rear come completely around during a panic stop. But, after getting headed back in the right direction, he continued to tailgate!

Can't fix stupid! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 473geo said:

Yeah you know trans that part of the truck bed that used to be metal and these days is plastic?

If you need further explanation please do not hesitate to contact me ????

It is called a bed liner....

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 473geo said:

These utes are dangerous at high speed, the plastic bed at the back means there is no weight over the back wheels unless they are loaded, accidents waiting to happen.

It doesn't matter what you drive if you drive like an idiot. The extra cab portion of the pickup (I'm guessing that's what you call a "Ute") adds some weight, and it sounds like he had passengers to add further weight. You might have a point as for them being dangerous under certain conditions.

It's really too bad the drivers poor judgement had to end the lives of so many others. My heart goes out to the families.

Edited by Lee4Life

6 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Pleased you worked that out from my description as was the intention, well done

And your point is?

My point is that you said the bed was plastic, when in fact it is only plastic lined. Do I need to quote what you said? These utes are dangerous at high speed, the plastic bed at the back means there is no weight over the back wheels unless they are loaded, accidents waiting to happen. And also: Yeah you know trans that part of the truck bed that used to be metal and these days is plastic?  So now you are back pedalling?

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

Until the day this forum ceases to exist, people will be making  identical comments  about driving in Thailand.   Nothing will change regarding driving here so I say just understand  that and do the best driving you can:  Don't speed, don't engage in road rage, stay aware, drive defensively, and don't drink drive. 

Now if the authorities  really cared about deaths  in Thailand from driving there would be barriers installed which would drastically cut  down on deaths of oncoming traffic.   And while they're at it, better planning of exits and on ramps could be done as well.

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

My point is that you said the bed was plastic, when in fact it is only plastic lined. Do I need to quote what you said? These utes are dangerous at high speed, the plastic bed at the back means there is no weight over the back wheels unless they are loaded, accidents waiting to happen.

Perhaps you should try removing the plastic 'lining' on a new ute and see what is left

5 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Until the day this forum ceases to exist, people will be making  identical comments  about driving in Thailand.   Nothing will change regarding driving here so I say just understand  that and do the best driving you can:  Don't speed, don't engage in road rage, stay aware, drive defensively, and don't drink drive. 

Now if the authorities  really cared about deaths  in Thailand from driving there would be barriers installed which would drastically cut  down on deaths of oncoming traffic.   And while they're at it, better planning of exits and on ramps could be done as well.

A valid point on the barriers, eradicate many similar accidents in other countries