Why are some international airlines still flying regularly to and from Bangkok Airport?

fgmr

Over the last few weeks I have been observing the Flight Arrivals & Departures Board at BKK. I note that some airlines appear to be operating regular flights. Is CAAT monitoring compliance?

See 0?ui=2&ik=9d7f924a1d&attid=0.1&permmsgid

13 minutes ago, fgmr said:

Over the last few weeks I have been observing the Flight Arrivals & Departures Board at BKK. I note that some airlines appear to be operating regular flights. Is CAAT monitoring compliance?

See 0?ui=2&ik=9d7f924a1d&attid=0.1&permmsgid

Your link does not work (link to Google mail!?).

It's a common misunderstanding that there are no passenger flights at all.

But of course the number of passengers arriving is marginal.

Exceptions are repatriation of Thai citizens and few diplomatic/VIP exceptions.

Inbound the flights often carry cargo even in the passenger cabin.

Outbound there are still foreigners leaving mostly back to their home countries.

The situation and rules can change anytime. I am not up-to-date to the minute.

This is a list stolen from some source in the net.

KLM, Lufthansa, Eva, Korean and Qatar still active.

Can't tell what the original source is:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1snMadRa4eJJT8oQs7CBQ4NVqCpFWbkRg/edit?filetype=msword

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do believe that there are passenger aircraft that have had their seats hastily removed and are carrying cargo that is light enough for the cabin and the continuing normal cargo space down below. 

However, there are still passenger flights flying into BKK. They must and can only be repatriation flights of Thai citizens.

You can get more flight designations from flightradar24 app from the google and apple store. The free version still let's you get the flight details of every plane flying globally. Surprisingly there are still s lot of flights around the world. But looking at china and vietnam, you will see the domestic flights have restarted along with thailand.

Its already said in here many times!!! This airline flight here empty , can take passengers when flight out!

Have flight all the time, like Qatar have had 1 flight to Doha every day! There you can continue where going conection flight!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1

Yesterday, Thursday was a busy day for international departures...

Looks like ~ 10 flights departed already, or scheduled to depart, today.

THU 21 May int departures (excl. cargo)
HKG  TG
HEL  AY
SVO SU
RGN ??
HAN VN
TPE CA
MLE ??
HKG TG
HKG CX
SGN VN
DOH QR
HKG ??
HND NH
AMS KL
FRA LH
ICN KE
NRT TG

From what I have come to understand in basic terms is that Airlines that operate scheduled  flights according to a minimum number are required to operate  those flights regardless in order to maintain the  rights to occupy the flight paths granted under some international platform . It exists (in normal times) to ensure various aspects  of safety and fair competition etc etc. In order  to maintain  "slots" airlines  must adhere to a set  schedule of a minimum usage but which can be increased  in times of high demand. Road Bus lines are  not so different. Operate the  route  or concede to another competitor passengers  or  not.

The International conventions are  set to  be able to monitor traffic within air corridors.

So that does not  mean to say the aircraft has to  carry passengers. Most passenger  aircraft have  always  carried a volume of  commercial freight which is why the passenger  baggage weights are usually regulated so as to not impact of the more lucrative  commercial  freight weights.

Now commercial freight will have  become a vital financial component in protecting "slots" whether or not sufficient in true operational costs. Some  may be if it involves  the overlooked factor that "Diplomatic" peoples are exempt of travel restrictions and it  can be a sure bet the seats they sit  in are not budget!

Perhaps too  Freight Forwarding Companies  are for the moment in a strong negotiating position to negotiate convenient discounts ?

Core  business continues behind the gloomy curtain of mitigation. That is why more than just the  basics  of consumables and  other services are still available in general.

What we will get to see  when that curtain eventually  gets raised  is anyones  guess.