VIDEO: Rule number one when driving in Thailand: Concentrate at all times

webfact

3 hours ago, YetAnother said:

never happen; lack of intellect and awful judgment will keep thailand's roads the way they are

Thailand is not unique and doesn't hold a monopoly on idiot drivers. There are plenty in the US where I'm from, and no doubt plenty where you're from. People on thaivisa are always whining about discrimination against farangs, well it goes both ways. Wherever there are phones there will be idiots texting and driving. That means everywhere.

I have been driving in Thailand since 2001. The multi-lane roads has made travel safer in some ways, but the influx of driver graduating from motorcycles to 4 wheel vehicles, has countered the the advantage of multi-lane roads.

Most Thai drivers still think they are driving motorcycles and can weave and bob, in a car or truck the same way as when on a motorcycle. They leave little or no room for proper passing or emergency maneuvering. They all need to go through a course on Defensive Driving that includes emergency maneuvering.

The current training is a lark and teaches nothing useful. The licensing road test is a joke.

The whole system and enforcement of road rules needs to be revamped and ENFORCED!

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The accident happened on the Asia Highway in Ayuthaya north of the Thai capital Bangkok. 

It wasn't an accident, It was a crash caused by sheer stupidity. 

Edited by simtemple
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fvw53 said:

I believe in the Darwinism (survival of the fittest and adaptation of species) and I predict that in the near future Thai car drivers will develop eyes on the back of their head ...

There’s plenty of room to do just that given the space inside their head isn’t even half full.

47 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Thailand is not unique and doesn't hold a monopoly on idiot drivers. There are plenty in the US where I'm from, and no doubt plenty where you're from. People on thaivisa are always whining about discrimination against farangs, well it goes both ways. Wherever there are phones there will be idiots texting and driving. That means everywhere.

Not a monopoly,but certainly a huge stranglehold of market share.

All I can say is, you betcha.  I have been driving in Thailand since 1967.   I have had motorcycles challenge me, big trucks and small cars.  Ya gots ta stay on your toes.  Knock on wood, I have yet to have even a small accident, whilst driving the car or motor bike.  Probably because I pay attention to EVERYTHING around me.  Happy motoring everyone.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Rule number one when driving in Thailand: Concentrate at all times

Not a bad Idea, shame most drivers/riders here in Thailand are not capable of doing that. You look around when driving and what do you see People smoking/drinking/talking arguing on the phone /texting on the phone /playing games on the phone/ having kids (helping)to drive/ride. Blasting Music(Noise bass)  Not adhering to the road rules/cars not road worthy faulty Lights /blinkers Tyres/brakes .And to top it off Brainless drivers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

"bent down to pick up his water bottle" 

More likely playing with their stupid phone. See that all the time on Thai roads. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. more important than (other) human lives. 

I've seen a cop in Bkk on a motorbike using his phone while riding

2 hours ago, aussie11950 said:

brakes didn't slow down much. Bald tyres maybe?

Possibly. Most pickup drivers here over-inflate their tires reducing contact patch size. He locked up instantly which suggests he jump on the brakes too hard instead of easing into them. Easing brakes on transfers weight forward more slowly, loading the tires, widening the contact patch and increasing total braking potential. It is something that gets drilled into you at any serious rider training school.

It is more important on a bike, but not unimportant in a car, especially with normal profile tires at proper pressures where more flexible side-wall allows for spread.

Nothing new here. Thai people don't know how to drive safely. Lack of training, ridiculous driving tests, bad attitudes,, take your pick. The lorry swept across 3 lanes, no indication at all and then drove on despite obviously having crashed. Nothing will ever change until Thailand reforms the whole system of driving, starting with driving lessons, driving tests and proper law enforcement. Until then people will die at the highest rate in the world. 

• Like 1

Why is it that Thais only make decisions on where the vehicle is now, not on where it is going? They seem to lack all ability to plan ahead and cannot see it coming.

The other thing I notice is that they only see where they want to go and set off without seeing that others may get in their way.

They only see the immediate and the obvious. No abstract thought, no plan.

Duh, can someone explain to me, it hurts my brain to think about it.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai TV Channel 7 reminded the Thai public to concentrate at all times when driving.

Things are definitely getting back to normal...

When the daily death toll reaches 50-70 will the close the roads I wonder?