BANGKOK
webfact

VIDEO: Rule number one when driving in Thailand: Concentrate at all times

You just cannot help stupid on behalf of the truck.

Witout fairly good braking reaction they could have been dead

That was horrible 

3 hours ago, YetAnother said:

never happen; lack of intellect and awful judgment will keep thailand's roads the way they are

Thailand is not unique and doesn't hold a monopoly on idiot drivers. There are plenty in the US where I'm from, and no doubt plenty where you're from. People on thaivisa are always whining about discrimination against farangs, well it goes both ways. Wherever there are phones there will be idiots texting and driving. That means everywhere.

9 minutes ago, natway09 said:

You just cannot help stupid on behalf of the truck.

Witout fairly good braking reaction they could have been dead

No airbags? 

I have been driving in Thailand since 2001. The multi-lane roads has made travel safer in some ways, but the influx of driver graduating from motorcycles to 4 wheel vehicles, has countered the the advantage of multi-lane roads.

Most Thai drivers still think they are driving motorcycles and can weave and bob, in a car or truck the same way as when on a motorcycle. They leave little or no room for proper passing or emergency maneuvering. They all need to go through a course on Defensive Driving that includes emergency maneuvering.

The current training is a lark and teaches nothing useful. The licensing road test is a joke.

The whole system and enforcement of road rules needs to be revamped and ENFORCED!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, webfact said:

The accident happened on the Asia Highway in Ayuthaya north of the Thai capital Bangkok. 

It wasn't an accident, It was a crash caused by sheer stupidity. 

Edited by simtemple
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fvw53 said:

I believe in the Darwinism (survival of the fittest and adaptation of species) and I predict that in the near future Thai car drivers will develop eyes on the back of their head ...

There’s plenty of room to do just that given the space inside their head isn’t even half full.

47 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Thailand is not unique and doesn't hold a monopoly on idiot drivers. There are plenty in the US where I'm from, and no doubt plenty where you're from. People on thaivisa are always whining about discrimination against farangs, well it goes both ways. Wherever there are phones there will be idiots texting and driving. That means everywhere.

Not a monopoly,but certainly a huge stranglehold of market share.

All I can say is, you betcha.  I have been driving in Thailand since 1967.   I have had motorcycles challenge me, big trucks and small cars.  Ya gots ta stay on your toes.  Knock on wood, I have yet to have even a small accident, whilst driving the car or motor bike.  Probably because I pay attention to EVERYTHING around me.  Happy motoring everyone.

• Like 1

When you drive any where keep your eye on the road

bit of a daft headline, people should concentrate when driving wherever they are, common sense.

• Like 1

They are in good company.  Libya I understand, drive fast and get out the way or get shot.

1510B34-most-road-traffic-deaths-libya-thailand.png