BANGKOK
webfact

VIDEO: Rule number one when driving in Thailand: Concentrate at all times

Driver of the car very slow to react to the collision ahead. He waited at least a second to react after the truck started veering into his lane. He should have reacted with the initial collision of the trucks.

• Like 1

9 line markers were passed from the time of the truck impact till the car impact.

5 line markers from the time the car decided to brake, no de-acceleration from taking foot off the gas pedal during the event. The car driver wasted a lot of time and made no attempt to slow till it was way too late. Almost 6 seconds elapsed from the time the trucks collided, he didn't brake till 3 seconds later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dluek said:

Concentrating on the road saves lives but so many of the accident videos that you see in Thailand show a reckless, out of control driver running cars that are obeying traffic rules right off the road. They often have no chance, concentration or not. That's what happened yesterday with the Buriram crash. Totally reckless pick-up crosses median and slams right into an oncoming SUV. There's nothing the driver of the SUV could have done to get out of the way. 

My feeling is if that SUV were in the left lane instead of the right hand lane it's possible the collision might have been avoided.

A few years ago I was driving from Lamphun to Chiang Mai down the super highway. I was in lane 2 ( the slow lane ) probobly doing about 80km p/h when a car shot passed me on its roof. He also must have dropped his water bottle, hit the curb and flipped the car over. But I have to say, its not everyday you see that, but more likely to here than elsewhere.

Typical reaction time/distance travelled at 70mph is 21 metres, 4 - 5 car lengths.

Overall stopping distance 96 mts

On 5/20/2020 at 1:44 PM, stouricks said:

He did not put his emergency clickers on, but left the radio playing!   PML

..and he didn't react way ahead of the erratic behavior of the truck driver, while the truck was still in the left lane.

On 5/20/2020 at 11:43 AM, ezzra said:

In my experience, also pretty much everywhere reading the road a head will save your life and limbs time and time again...

The truck didnt really collide with the car, it was rather

On 5/20/2020 at 11:43 AM, ezzra said:

In my experience, also pretty much everywhere reading the road a head will save your life and limbs time and time again...

On 5/20/2020 at 1:44 PM, stouricks said:

He did not put his emergency clickers on, but left the radio playing!   PML

the other way around.

By the time the car was behind the truck, he car was too fast to slow down, thats if he hit the breaks hard enough, which I doubt.

Fault is with the car driver, not to be prepared with what was about to happen

• Like 1