Covid Insurance proof

I am slowly planning my return to Thailand and I noticed in the press this morning from TAT that a requirement for "Covid Insurance" raised its head again for tourists.

I have private health insurance, have had same policy for all the years I have resided in Thailand. I asked the insurance company if I was was covered for covid and their reply was that as epidemics are not specifically excluded in my policy, then I would be "insured per the terms of the insurance policy". 

So I suppose all older policies are like that, if something is not excluded you are covered (subject to the other 100 clauses is a typical policy). 

Which brings me to my question. When you arrive in Thailand and you are asked by immigration for your "covid insurance" what are they expecting to see?? As epedemics are not excluded, one does not have a clause saying they are included, additionally as Covid is new, none of the existing policies will have a mention of it in their terms.

What exactly would immigration be expecting one to present to them????

Insurance companies are a pain in the neck for their ambiguous wording, especially in response to a specific question you need an answer for.

It took a previous insurance company 2 months to confirm we would be covered in the even of an injury incurred while on-piste skiing - this was prior to accepting their quote !!!

Regarding the Covid-19 cover:  I e-mailed my insurance MSH International and LUMA which covers my Wife and Son who both responded that we have full cover for respiratory illnesses including Covid-19.

What you really want is a letter from your insurance company in simple language stating that as all medical costs are covered for Covid-19, something which immigration officer who doesn't speak English can comprehend.

E-mail them again and ask them to send a letter outlining your Covid-19 cover.

While Covid-19 may not receive specific attention respiratory illness may.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

As usual, Covid insurance is very vague.

Does it mean any insurance companies or only restricted list of companies? 

What about the amount insured?

I have a Covid-19 insurance in Thailand but not sure whether it is sufficient when I travel out and come back in again.

Edited by EricTh

My understanding so far and you know how government officials view rergulations , "Well it kinda is this way today"

1) No one is allowed to enter Thailand unless you are a Thai National, Diplomat etc

2) Prior to the closing of its borders you needed three things

A) Proof of $100,000USD Health Insurance,

B) A Covid test less that 72 hours  old.

C) Both stamped and approved by a Thai Embassy

I cant answer you question 

"Which brings me to my question. When you arrive in Thailand and you are asked by immigration for your "covid insurance" what are they expecting to see?? As epedemics are not excluded, one does not have a clause saying they are included, additionally as Covid is new, none of the existing policies will have a mention of it in their terms.

What exactly would immigration be expecting one to present to them????"

as NO ONE IS ALLOWED INTO THAILAND AT PRESENT

I know this doesnt really help but its the best I have

My Insurance is on hold. AETNA agreed to put on hold while borders are closed. I ran back to Ozz first wiff of epidemic... Not sure exactly what cost will be but they said current policy did not cover Covid and I will have to pay extra maybe 50,000bht on top of policy which already cost 50,000bht per year. Too much for this black duck to pay....

How much is the average tourist going to pay for 1,000,000 USD Corona cover?? 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Thaifish said:

Before it was $100,000 not one million. Nobody knows what will be required when they start allowing entries to the country again.

• Like 1

Agreed.

It's all speculation at this time...

What's the point of even discussing the unknowns?

But regardless there's a clear and valid condition that will affect the tourist's numbers:

more restrictions - less tourism

Too early to tell. Thailand might introduce their own compulsory COVID-19 insurance for travelers (plans for this were a recent news item), or they might require a private one, specifics unknown as of now in any case.

Got COVID insurance from Roojai, and they were really simple to deal with. But for that one, it's mandatory to have stayed in Thailand for at least 6 months non stop before applying and wasn't valid immediately, only 2 or 3 weeks later... 2 months now, haven't used it, haven't even unpacked their envelope with policy they sent me... and I hope I never need to use it. Covers up to 1 million baht in medical expenses apparently. Cost me only 850 baht.

I was offered COVID insurance from some international insurer... but they wanted about 20,000 baht per month. I guess that was health insurance that included COVID. Not sure if I still have contact from the guy who was calling me. Maybe can find it. If anyone needs it, PM me.

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

It might be worth asking if you are covered for any quarantine costs that might arise as a result of a Covid-19 infection.

My own guess at this would be that no one is covered for this under medical insurance as its not medical in nature. The quarantine is not currently  linked to being positive of a medical condition.

Edit : I just realized what the last 6 words of your post read - sorry!

Edited by MRToMRT
misread post

On 5/20/2020 at 11:17 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Based on other threads where insurance is discussed others have mentioned (as you have above) that their Travel Insurance does not cover for Covid-19.

Thus, I think it is important to differentiate between Travel Insurance and Health Insurance - it seems Health Insurance does cover for Covid-19 (in most cases) and Travel Insurance doesn't (in most cases).

All of the Health Insurance companies I have contacted include cover for Covid-19 (AXA, Cigna, BUPA, LUMA, April, Aetna, Pacific Cross, Thai Vivat).

The key point for the purposes of this thread is obtaining clear documentation that the insurance does cover Covid-19.

Very helpful, thank you Richard

23 hours ago, Thaifish said:

My Insurance is on hold. AETNA agreed to put on hold while borders are closed. I ran back to Ozz first wiff of epidemic... Not sure exactly what cost will be but they said current policy did not cover Covid and I will have to pay extra maybe 50,000bht on top of policy which already cost 50,000bht per year. Too much for this black duck to pay....

This is odd. It contradicts the information I have received - I wonder if this is down to the specific policy (or of the Agent, Pacific Prime is being dishonest).

For example: Aetna Platinum 1m Cover (World Wide Ex. USA - No OPD) - 38,000 baht: e-mail conformation received that cover is provided for Covid-19 (inpatient only according to the proposed policy).

Pacific Prime agents have confirmed this by e-mail.

On 5/20/2020 at 12:48 PM, MRToMRT said:

I asked the insurance company if I was was covered for covid and their reply was that as epidemics are not specifically excluded in my policy, then I would be "insured per the terms of the insurance policy". 

It's great, the only small issue is that covid 19 is not an epidemic, but a pandemic.

So maybe worth asking if they also cover pandemics or exclude them.

Edited by lkv

14 minutes ago, lkv said:

It's great, the only small issue is that covid 19 is not an epidemic, but a pandemic.

So maybe worth asking if they also cover pandemics or exclude them.

semantics - A pandemic is just a global epidemic.

If someone was covered before January I imagine it would be impossible for any insurance to exclude Covid-19 unless there was an existing 'clause excluding epidemics' - In the case of the Op, his insurance has stated that epidemics are not excluded.

They key question is how to prove the cover to Immigration (or airline check-in) the only proof I have is an App on my phone that I have insurance cover and an e-mail from insurance company which indicates that I my in patient medical costs would be covered if were to catch Covid-19.

• Like 1