BANGKOK
toast1

Antivirus windows

People say Windows Defender is not such a good antivirus package, but I've never had a problem

Friends and IT people have recommended AVG or similar as better

Do people avoid MS Defender, and prefer others?

I don't mind paying if I get better protection, but MS 10 has always been good. 

Thanks

• Like 1

I use Defender for firewall and another brand antivirus.

A while back (maybe XP days?) I used Comodo firewall, all the fine-tweaking was impressive at the time.  Then one fine day I realized the firewall wasn't working, though it was reporting that all was good.  Turned out it stopped working app. 2 weeks before.  Communication with Comodo support was no help at all.  Into the commode with that one...

• Haha 1

You don't really need an anti virus unless you surf dodgy sites. Even so firefox will protect you to some degree. You really need to run a dodgy .exe script for a virus to take hold.

I keep defender off because it slows down my system and is probably spyware in it self.

Now and then i check with:

https://www.trendmicro.com/en_ca/forHome/products/housecall.html

or

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

don't need anything else than Windows Defender to be honest and I don't know anyone that is serious in IT that would suggest anything else (nowadays anyways)..

a few years back, maybe yes.

I had to disable parts of Windows Defender because it was "catching" more than it should, false positives (excluding directories to prevent it from deleting known safe apps)

Edited by kekalot
  • Like 1

I use Windows Defender along with an occasional scan using Housecall (which has never found anything).

Also, SuperAntiSpyware as malware protection, which mostly deletes cookies and not a lot else.

Posted (edited)

Never used 3rd party AV since 15 or more years.

W10 defender and logging in as standard user for everyday use.

Using Firefox with Noscript. Chrome occasionally.

Never use any license cracks etc.

Careful handling of emails.

Can't remember when I last had any virus/malware problem except some browser hijack.

Edited by KhunBENQ

In the olden days, Windows Defender didn't protect as good as paid products like Norton 360, Bitdenfender,  McAfee, etc.   But for the last couple years Microsoft improved Windows Defender greatly and now it rates just as good or better than paid products for antivirus-malware protection. 

I've been using Windows Defender on my three Win 10 machines now for about 6 months....totally satisfied.  Before that I used Norton 360 for many years which is a fine product but I got tired of buying a subscription each year off Ebay since free and very good antivirus/malware products are available.

ATTest is an organization that test various home anti-virus/malware product several times per year.  See their Feb 2020 rating/review of Windows Defender....it receives a Top Product rating.  And you may be surprised how it beats well know products like Malwarebytes, BitDefender, McAfee, etc., who did not receive a Top Product rating.

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

I'm another user of Windows Defender on my personal equipment.

But I also administer systems for other users and I don't trust them not to visit or click on something stupid, so 'they' get the intrusive security suites installed. 

• Haha 1

I don't want to be the Linux Geek in the room, but I am what I am. Best antivirus you can buy is Linux, and it's free.

• Like 2

I switched over to AVG from windows defender ! I had noticed a considerable drop in virtual memory for months.

I attempted to adjust the allowance of megabytes ,but it didn't work(4 gigabyte  memory).

I found a tool that would eliminate AVG entirely from my computer!

Wow ,no more crashes,unlimited tab excess.it fly's again

• Like 1

My right combination is ESET (Nod 32) and free Malwarebytes.

ESET costs around 800 THB annually in Thailand and can be purchased online.

With this you should be really safe except being protected from some social engineering cyber attacks.

Posted (edited)

If i am correct AVG comes with some tracking/ spyware loaded.

When i got a new laptop, AVG had been included, although i did not use the AVG i found that the their spyware was enabled and had to delete it.

Cant remember the name of the exe. Search the topic on the web.

Edited by jojothai
Added comment

Chromebook.

100% free of viruses.

Web pages are sandboxes so viruses won't execute on "admin" like WinDoze.