Riding Pillion Behind Girl?

Never, in a million years, would I get on the back of a chicks bike.. 

Even first night bar brass have always passed me the bike and jumped on the back, when it was their bike. Back when I was a nocturnal creature. 

download.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, kekalot said:

the only problem i have had with it was comfort.

on a bike like an Aerox (and a PCX) then if you are tall or heavy in any way then it's not comfortable at all

on something like a Honda Wave or Scoopy then it's not an issue but its still weird because I'm much taller than most people (191cm)

don't lean back is definitely a proper answer, I vouch for that.

On an Aerox or PCX your not comfortable with you 191cm but on a Wave or Scoopy you are ????? I think you got them mixed up or you never sat on a bike . 

24 minutes ago, Unify said:

My GF got a comment from a Thai guy -- "Can't your boyfriend even drive a motorcycle?", or something along those lines. I figured he was jealous.

That's quite amusing and is probably the answer to the query.

In such a patriarchal society is just seems so strange for Thai men to see a woman riding around with a male pillion passenger. I don't think there is any more thought to it than that and certainly no malice - there's no need to look for something which isn't there - its just different than the expected norm and thus may draw attention, that's all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, themechanic said:

I'm very sensitive to these vibes and don't think I'm wrong.

Maybe you think too much...

Personally I basically don't give a <deleted> if anybody thinks they have to look for whatever reason. If I walked around with a pretty young girl some looked. Who cares? If they don't like my shirt or my bike or my look or whatever, who cares?

4e02f7d306773c0b6a0a4e58ceea2174.jpg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe you think too much...

Personally I basically don't give a <deleted> if anybody thinks they have to look for whatever reason. If I walked around with a pretty young girl some looked. Who cares? If they don't like my shirt or my bike or my look or whatever, who cares?

4e02f7d306773c0b6a0a4e58ceea2174.jpg

Agree. I let my GF drive before I got my motorbike license sorted, and now if I'm drunk and she isn't, but didn't really give a toss what others thought. Just own it. But I do draw the line at putting my arms around her waist during, the rear bar it is, maybe I think too much ????

When I first married my missus twenty years ago I was flat broke and used the last of my $ after the wedding party to buy a new Honda Dream 100cc in Chiang Mai -I still recall the exact cost - 36,400 baht on the road from Niyom Panich. As I have been riding big bikes all my life and no offence to her, I always (and still do) put her on the back behind me unless, as another poster said, "I am a little under the weather". One day I asked her (after noticing the odd Thai or two giving us strange looks) "what do they think about you being on a motorbike with a farang ?" She answered "half of them think I am a prostitute, the other half are jealous" ! Pretty fair comment really, given that she was a locksmith at the time and had never set foot outside the family business). Like many on here have said, 'up to you but don't read too much into Thais looking at you', anytime. Just enjoy the fun of being on a motorbike, with a lady.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Come on now. If a few guys are sitting around and here comes Joe Blow firmly holding on to back of seat with a young lady driving, this will always get a chuckle. Always.....

Been there, done that ????   Holdin on from behind = a bit unmasculine 

In the States there are places where a white driver for a black man would draw some looks. It probably has something to do with the perceived pecking order in Thailand. I've taken many rides behind my female Thai friends and have nothing concerning to report.

1 hour ago, properperson said:

I think it was my Uncle Percy, who once said:

"if God had a wanted Women to drive - he'd have given 'em brains"

I like what Percy said... thought about sending to my sister...nah they’d get a case of the ass. But one day I’ll use it as long as I’ve a clear space between me and the door.

On 5/20/2020 at 9:05 AM, themechanic said:

Is it looked down upon in this country to ride pillion as a man on a motorbike behind a girl?

Depends on the size of her airbags.

Just kidding.

Anyone on a motorcycle who isn't a poor Thai farmer looks stupid to me for riding a motorcycle. ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Anyone on a motorcycle who isn't a poor Thai farmer looks stupid to me for riding a motorcycle. ????

Even more stupid comment. I ride my scooter in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai because it is far more manoeuvrable, and I can park it anywhere I please. Costs peanuts in fuel compared to a car.  I only use my car when it is raining, or I need to go more than 20 km.

Anyone who has ever driven a car in and around the Old City of Chiang Mai will know what I mean.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike787 said:

You will die....good luck...go into the light - FAST!  

Are you talking to me?

Fact 1. Been driving a scooter in Thailand for ten years.

Fact 2. Have never had an accident in Thailand, scooter or car.

I don't doubt I will die. I do doubt it will be on my scooter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1