United States Tax Return - How to send No International Mail

I tried calling the IRS today as as is typical you get a recording saying they are sorry but to call back later.  The tax filing deadline is July 15 and I tried to mail my tax return but I was told that the Thai Post is not accepting any U.S. mail until the commercial flights start again.  Assuming that happens on July 1, that would be pushing getting the tax return filed by the deadline.  Don't say try online.  Since I owe nothing, the IRS services apparently don't allow you to file an online return.  So has anyone else encountered this situation and found a solution. 

22 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Don't say try online.  Since I owe nothing, the IRS services apparently don't allow you to file an online return.

that is not correct.

i've filed online from overseas for at least 15 years, with the exception of a few times when cheapcharlie free online services did not provide 2555 support.  haven't owed tax since before 2005.

what is your difficulty filing online?

The rotters at IRS don't go by the date they get it, they go by the postmark date.  So make sure you get a clear postmark where the date can be discerned.

1 hour ago, Why Me said:

The link

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/extension-of-time-to-file-your-tax-return

says

E-file Your Extension Form for Free

Individual tax filers, regardless of income, can use Free File to electronically request an automatic tax-filing extension.

So you could file for the extension (to Oct. 15) online.

They  go by the post date ,I don't care when it gets there

Recently on another thread here I've given the address to use if you courier your return to Austin.

I've also recently made a post that shows how to very easily get an extension until October by making an online tax payment (just $1 will do). But make sure you read the instructions carefully and properly mark the payment as an extension request. No need to actually file the extension request: the payment itself is automatically regarded as an extension request.

11 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

what is your difficulty filing online?

Choudoufu 

I am not sure.  I tried three different file online services and all said the same thing that with zero owed and no refund either I was not eligible to file online. 

11 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Since I owe nothing, the IRS services apparently don't allow you to file an online return. 

this is not correct. i am in Thailand and have E-filed for years not owing anything. 

maybe you should find a cheap accountant in the USA that can help you with this.   

every year my accountant just sends me a form via email that I "sign" using Adobe PDF signature giving them authorization to file electronically. I have not seen my account in person in over 20 years.   

OP, come on!!!!...you have just been in the groove of filing paper returns for so long you just don't want to give efiling a try.    Efiling is easy....fast....cheap-to-free....get refund a lot faster....does away with the extra work, errors, and hassles of a paper return.   Get out of the paper filing groove and into the efiling groove.

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, Pib said:

OP, come on!!!!...you have just been in the groove of filing paper returns for so long you just don't want to give efiling a try.    Efiling is easy....fast....cheap-to-free....get refund a lot faster....does away with the extra work, errors, and hassles of a paper return.   Get out of the paper filing groove and into the efiling groove.

Pib 

No not true  I e-filed for several years including last year here in Thailand.  I guess I am going to try a few more online services and yes I did try free fillible forms online.  I had to file online the foreign bank account form and that was accepted without a problem. 

• Like 1

I don't efile because I don't want my tax returns passing through the hands of a private company.

If you want to point fingers, point them at the IRS, which has failed to provide its own secure platform for online filing. Really, you should not have to use a private third-party intermediary to file online.

1 minute ago, taxout said:

I don't efile because I don't want my tax returns passing through the hands of a private company.

If you want to point fingers, point them at the IRS, which has failed to provide its own secure platform for online filing. Really, you should not have to use a private third-party intermediary to file online

taxout

I agree but then again that is why I never want government to be in charge of anything.  If the IRS was privately run, it would find ways to streamline, simplify and automate.  Government Departments have exactly the opposite motivation.  They want it to be more complicated, more burdensome, and therefore more labor intensive which serves as both job protection as well as job expanding since government workers who supervise get more money the more employees they oversee and the bigger the budgets they manage are.  

6 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Choudoufu 

I am not sure.  I tried three different file online services and all said the same thing that with zero owed and no refund either I was not eligible to file online. 

i use this one, recommended by our overlords in the irs.

https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/#/fd

i do my fbar filing online in january, file my 1040 as soon as i get my brokerage statements.  i'm filing with 2555 foreign income exclusion, schedule 1, schedules B and D, and a couple 8949's for wash sales or stock sales not reported to irs by the brokerage.

no taxes deducted, no taxes owed, no refund.

52 minutes ago, taxout said:

If you want to point fingers, point them at the IRS, which has failed to provide its own secure platform for online filing. Really, you should not have to use a private third-party intermediary to file online.

And that's because Congress will not let them as that would put many commercial tax software companies like TurboTax, HR Block, etc., out of business at least for most of the common tax payer business.  Such tax software/preparation companies have lobbied Congress big time over the years to minimize/stop the IRS from competing with them.

Below 2019 news article is an example of how the tax software companies continue to lobby Congress to not allow the IRS to compete with them....and some lawmakers are apparently in agreement with these companies. 

https://www.propublica.org/article/congress-is-about-to-ban-the-government-from-offering-free-online-tax-filing-thank-turbotax

In one of its provisions, the bill makes it illegal for the IRS to create its own online system of tax filing. Companies like Intuit, the maker of TurboTax, and H&R Block have lobbied for years to block the IRS from creating such a system. If the tax agency created its own program, which would be similar to programs other developed countries have, it would threaten the industry’s profits.

Edited by Pib

"And that's because Congress will not let them as that would put many commercial tax software companies like TurboTax, HR Block, etc., out of business at least for most of the common tax payer business."

Just wrong. The provision you discussed at length never became law; it was removed from the bill before enactment.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/3151/text

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/447766-house-passes-bipartisan-irs-reform-bill-without-free-file-provision

19 minutes ago, taxout said:

"And that's because Congress will not let them as that would put many commercial tax software companies like TurboTax, HR Block, etc., out of business at least for most of the common tax payer business."

Just wrong. The provision you discussed at length never became law; it was removed from the bill before enactment.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/3151/text

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/447766-house-passes-bipartisan-irs-reform-bill-without-free-file-provision

I know it never became law....it was just an example of how the tax preparation industry has always and continues to lobby Congress to fend off competition from the IRS....minimize/fight any law changes that would take business away from the companies such as the IRS developing its own and free online tax preparation/submission portal which most anyone could use....or even doing too much partnering between the IRS and the companies.  

On 5/21/2020 at 11:54 AM, Thomas J said:

Choudoufu 

Did you try the IRS's own site? www.freefilleableforms or something like that. I use it every year.

But if you owe nothing and have no refund coming why file at all?

• Like 1

"Did you try the IRS's own site? www.freefilleableforms or something like that. I use it every year. But if you owe nothing and have no refund coming why file at all?"

As mentioned above, there's no such thing as "the IRS's own site." All online 1040 filing options use private third-party services, which are free in some cases.

If you aren't required to file a return, there's still value in filing. It keeps you in the system and avoids questions later about why you aren't filing. Further, certain statutes of limitation start to run from the time you file. If you don't file they never start to run, leaving your liability open-ended.

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Did you try the IRS's own site? www.freefilleableforms or something like that. I use it every year.

But if you owe nothing and have no refund coming why file at all?

I bet a lot of people who don't/never file wish they did file each year if nothing else to have their data on file for stimulus payments that seems to come around every dozen years or so with some major financial downturn.   And not uncommon when filing for certain state benefits they many want to see past federal returns to help confirm qualification for the benefit.   That's why many recommend a person file a return each year even if not required due to income level.

57 minutes ago, Pib said:

I bet a lot of people who don't/never file wish they did file each year if nothing else to have their data on file for stimulus payments that seems to come around every dozen years or so with some major financial downturn.   And not uncommon when filing for certain state benefits they many want to see past federal returns to help confirm qualification for the benefit.   That's why many recommend a person file a return each year even if not required due to income level.

Pib

Yes you are absolutely correct.  Things like this years stimulus payments.  I can tell you that to obtain a visa for a fiance or marriage to the USA requires you submit copies of your tax transcripts.  And, as has been pointed out, filing puts a statute of limitations on the returns otherwise you technically never close out those tax years.  If you were ever audited by the IRS you likely would have a lot of explaining to do as to why you chose not to file.  

I tried another site, it did accept it but said it was rejected for some technical reason.  I corrected what was advised and resubmitted I guess we will see if that works. 

• Like 1