Airbus calls in THAI debts for 30 rented jets

webfact

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is the main reason I have not flown with Thai in the past 4 years.  I had a flight to the US and back, but was bumped from my first class seat so an employee could take their trip, I do not care if it was a pilot or a freaking executive, you do not bounce a paying customer.  Instead they offered me a voucher for the inconvenience when I complained.  I ended up flying out on Korean Air, and have flown them ever since.  Never did get a full refund from Thai.  They are so screwed up.  Employee's may fly free but it should be on a standby only option, and if a seat is open then they can take it.  If a seat is already occupied and you remove that person for your free employee you are a unscrupulous company in my book.....

Etihad behaved in a similar manner to my Wife and I. Flying in Business class we were bumped from our booked seats next to each other to seats separate from each other.

I complained on the flight and found out that we had been bumped so that an Etihad Employee could sit with his Wife. I was furious, not because I couldn't sit next to my Wife but because we as paying customers received unequal treatment.

Later when Etihad failed to compensate us for a Maclaren pushchair which had been damaged in transit (snapped in half) I decided I wouldn't fly Etihad again unless I absolutely had to.

These issues are not quite the same as TG displacing a First Class passenger from first class to make way for an employee - but they highlight how customer service can be appalling.

Thai Airways has been 'top heavy' for a while now, as have many other national airlines. I hope they get sorted out and if / once privatised can bring themselves back into profitability.

I've never flown TG back to the UK because they have always been way more expensive. I've flown TG regionally because they have either been better for a similar prices (i.e. to Indonesia or Malaysia), or to Singapore for reasonable price, or to Japan with Airline miles accrued on the ROP credit card.

I would have flown TG a lot more had they simply been more competitive on price. They're not a bad airline, however, what happened to ThailandRyan outlines the sense of entitlement and absence of true and genuine customer mindedness to compete in a very competitive market.

Very tough times ahead for the industry, prices may have to increase which will see many flying less with consequent knock on effects to schedules, convenience, connections etc

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

What is an RNS please? I'm afraid I struggle keeping track of my daughters pocket money!

It is the Regulatory News Service of the London Stock Exchange.

RNS required to be issued by any listed companies when they become aware of any significant change in their business/trading/outlook.

Many issued every day.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, torturedsole said:

It took C19 to see off Thai permanently.  A virus killed a germ.  

But all airlines that flew into thailand made profits during 2019 except for THAI. 

It's a management issue combined with bad marketing and save face..

21 hours ago, 19DL86 said:
I am loving this, gloating would be an understatement.  I haven't flown with THAI since the 1990s as there are far more cheaper and better airline to chose from mostly the Gulf nations and EVA.

To see this country with all its self entitlement, over inflated, grandiose opinion of itself in the World, to loose its "Flag Carrier" makes me p*** myself with laughter.  All those HiSo and Military spongers, who ironically can afford to fly by paying, just creaming the profits.

Now knowing how these lot operate, following Airbus pulling out of the huge Repair and Maintenance facility project at Utapoa, there ll be a huge "loss of face" - I m sure that THAI will put Airbus at the back of the queue in the debt recovery.

I hope that Airbus' retaliation will be to put an embargo on the supply of parts and technical advice for those remaining Airbus aircraft that THAI have in service.  Thus grounding them also.

Nothing short of a BANANA REPUBLIC !!!!

you need to put your glasses on 

On 5/21/2020 at 10:07 AM, Lacessit said:

Don't you realize when you loan anything to a Thai, it's regarded as a gift?

The current situation now has my wife's debts from years ago being called in.

First I told her to tell them, look at the damn news, many are currently out of work and can't pay. Next I told her to say what you said, whenever they've loaned to their dear, fellow citizens, how often have they gotten it back? ????

I've never had much sympathy for creditors. They're taking a gamble. They should calculate the risk, and if too risky, not make the loan. Especially to those they know are in dire need. If they talk to them about money, then it should just be a gift. Otherwise, don't speak at all.

On 5/21/2020 at 3:01 PM, Fex Bluse said:

I think the shame of admitting they need foreign help is worse for them than just letting it die. 

They will just all pretend nothing happened. For example, @Yinn will simply go quiet, not showing up in any of the threads to defend THAI.

This is what they do when the loss of FACE is too much. People will pretend they never heard of THAI Air. 

Hi.

Not my company. I not care much. 

airline around the world have problem now. 

You not mention your country airline problem. Sorry you loose your face. 

Again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Hi.

Not my company. I not care much. 

airline around the world have problem now. 

You not mention your country airline problem. Sorry you loose your face. 

Again.

How have you been doing?

On 5/21/2020 at 10:07 AM, Lacessit said:

Don't you realize when you loan anything to a Thai, it's regarded as a gift?

Pfffft.

Not If you loan with chanote/nor sor 3. 

*many need money now. Not enough lender.

before covid is 2% interest per month or 3% if short loan.

Now if 4-5%. 

Only chanote, no accept nor sor 3. 

Every month number 1 now is more pressure. Crazy

Another problem is land office close because covid. So can not do document. 

Next months will be a lot a problem. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

I not open my new business in March. Because covid.

Now accept will not open this year. Maybe next year. Up to covid.

i loose money because that/ not have profit because that 

but

lucky it happen just then, because not have staff or pay rent yet. If covid come one month later I will loose so much. Lucky and unlucky. 

Maybe never open. Not sure.

But nobody my friend/family die. We have food and music. Many friend come back because loose the job. Not see long time. 

People more worse than me. I soso.

How your business? 

Good luck and see you soon. 

On 5/21/2020 at 3:01 PM, Fex Bluse said:

I think the shame of admitting they need foreign help is worse for them than just letting it die. 

They will just all pretend nothing happened. For example, @Yinn will simply go quiet, not showing up in any of the threads to defend THAI.

This is what they do when the loss of FACE is too much. People will pretend they never heard of THAI Air. 

The majority of Thais really have absolutely no interest in it and couldn't care less what happens to Thai Air.  Go and ask some.  (It might also be a nice opportunity for you to talk to a Thai rather complaining at them)

52 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

The majority of Thais really have absolutely no interest in it and couldn't care less what happens to Thai Air.  Go and ask some.  (It might also be a nice opportunity for you to talk to a Thai rather complaining at them)

Joe, I was talking my sweetie, ok? 

On 5/21/2020 at 8:15 AM, stupidfarang said:

I keep seeing people talking about people getting free flights, where is this information coming from? It would be good to see actual proof. I would not be surprised that it happens but I just like to see real proof and not just comments with no back up.

It's common knowledge that one of the perks of being an airline employee (or their spouse) is the fly free/or with discount bennie. The wife had high seniority with United (to include her PanAm time), so that seniority usually allowed us to sit up front (usually First Class, but sometimes Business Class). The cost was only the airport tax, plus no Federal tax obligation. Flew Wash DC to Bangkok this way for 15 years. Then, United merged with Continental, the seniority rules changed, and we found ourselves often ending up in that dreaded middle seat, between two sumo wrestlers, and on different rows -- for 14 hours! Haven't flown standby since, now buying my own ticket, with the piece of mind knowing I'll get on the flight, and in which seat. So, it was nice while it lasted.

But for sure we'd never bump a full fare passenger. And even positive space United travelers (dead heading aircrew, for example) would not bump a full fare passenger. Yes, like for any over booked flight, United would offer money to give up a seat -- and for a dead heading aircrew, this could be big money (as the cost of cancelling the flight they were dead heading to would be even more).  Yeah, fly free perk can be nice, if you're flexible. United even has a program where you can designate a favorite friend for high discount airline tickets (but you have to pay Fed tax on the value of that ticket). Nice. The wife's favorite teeshirt, now long faded, said: MARRY ME, FLY FREE. That always got a few smiles.

Edited by JimGant
  • Sad 1

On 5/21/2020 at 3:45 AM, Chelseafan said:

Free flights have nothing to do with it. Most airlines offer their personnel discounted/free perks,

If you look at the top-line management team, they are pretty much all ex-military. Inflexible, unable to think outside the box unimiagnative and used to following rules and procedures. They have very little experience of running a business let alone an airline and sadly this formula has been repeated time and time again.

What you need in any well run company is a respected management team who understand market dynamics and competition and are customer foccussed whilst also keeping a tight reign on the purse-strings.

They need to privatise the whole damned operation whilst keeping govermental noses out of the business. It will take years to turn it around but its the airlines best chance of success.

This.

Welcome to Thailand.

Oops, well, that's the end of Thai Airways.  There isn't anybody investing in airlines right now, seeing as they are basically shut down for 2 years (hopefully less).  The news from the government is non-stop bad news, and they're pulling their money out of it now.  I"m sure whoever buys it, if foreign, will take a knife to it and gut it.  

A real shame, the food was great.  

Nobody is getting a refund now.  

Oh well, thanks for not killing me Thai airways, if anyone would do it it would be Thai Airways, or the third world equivalent, Lion Air.  

On 5/21/2020 at 9:00 AM, josephbloggs said:

So again you are not providing any evidence of the plague of the hi-sos filling up aircraft for free.

The incident you are probably referring to was the case of the two dead heading pilots bumping two passengers from first class.  Those two passengers had been upgraded (for free) from business class and refused to relinquish their new first class status. 

Due to a technical issue the aircraft was changed from a 777 to an old 747 which did not have a crew rest area for the dead headers to sleep in (and they needed their rest hours as they were back on duty after the flight) so they claimed the rules stated they must have a first class seat to sleep in as business class on the old 747 is not lie flat, hence asking the upgraded passengers to move which they refused to do so.

Did Thai handle the situation very poorly?  Yes.  Was it a PR disaster?  Yes.  Was it a paying first class passenger getting moved for a hi-so free loader?  Nope, not at all.  

Got any other "evidence"?

Strikingly, precisely that plane (747) has a special sleeping place for the pilots.

See for example: at 35:41

Edited by Peterphuket

47 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Strikingly, precisely that plane (747) has a special sleeping place for the pilots.

See for example: at 35:41

Yes, thanks for that.  OK, I'll rephrase it "the 747 has a small rest area for two people that couldn't accommodate two dead-heading pilots plus the pilots of the actual flight".

Doesn't change the fact that the claim of hi-sos pushing paying customers off the flight wasn't true.

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2020 at 3:29 AM, ThailandRyan said:

All I know is that there should never have been free flights for the executives or government officials. Like an American carrier they should be made to fly standby and not be put in business or first class over a fare paying customer.

Interested to know how many flights you have been on where this happened and what sectors they were?

I have flown Thai many, many times on a lot of different sectors and never once came across this happening.

14 minutes ago, CGW said:

Interested to know how many flights you have been on where this happened and what sectors they were?

I have flown Thai many, many times on a lot of different sectors and never once came across this happening.

How would you know?

On 5/21/2020 at 4:05 AM, Creasy said:

Sorry Airbus. Can we defer our debt payments ?

You see. We're really tied up feeding the poor and shoring up the economy so the common man can survive during this deadly pandemic. 

lol this attitude coming from loser. Not Thai government.

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

How would you know?

Well, I'm one that actually has encountered this.

It was the last evening Friday flight from TPE-BKK, probably in 2010. I was booked on an A330 2 class service.

At this point I was a TG Gold, yet I was informed that even though I was booked in business class I was being bumped to economy since they had a 'VIP' passenger.

My company never received a refund, and we never used them again. I was simply booked onto the less convenient China Airlines flight after that

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2020 at 1:41 AM, steven100 said:

I heard that the Airbus CEO has had to replace his desktop telephone 3 times due to the hand piece being smashed.

Is that a fact ?begorah.

On 5/21/2020 at 2:37 AM, colinneil said:

Surely your user name is a joke, it appears you do not keep up with the news !!

It was all over the news, when the first class passenger got move out of his seat, for the free loader to sit in first class.

colinneil, I am only asking where the info about free flights comes from as so many people talk about the free flights but I have not seen any oficial info from a reliable source. I do not disagree that it happens but I like to see facts and not just comments from keyboard writers. You have mention only one case that appeared in the papers, what about all these other free flights? Where is this info coming from? Also I have not been rude or abusive or ask if your user name is a joke, if you like to start off comments with smart <deleted> comments and false statements assuming that I do not keep up with the news then save your time and move on to the next news.