Driving without a license penalty?

Do you mean driving licence or licence plates? There is currently problem with issuing both.

Driving licences don't have to be renewed until further notice. Driving without driving licence (having issued one at all) is usually 400 Baht. Until you cause an accident, then all hell will break lose.

• Like 1

From another thread.

This is the latest news I am aware of:

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30387368?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=internal_referral

Jirut also added that the DLT would allow licences that had expired since January 2 to be temporarily valid during the period of the emergency decree and has accordingly notified Royal Thai Police Headquarters and Office of Insurance Commission to enforce related laws accordingly in case of police screening or insurance claims.

So you are safe from prosecution or insurance denial in case of expired license.

• Like 2

From personal experience (a few years ago now) i got caught at a checkpoint one time. I had my IDP but had left it on the big bike and was on the scooter when I hit the checkpoint.

Had to go inside an pay the ticket (for driving without a license) - 200 baht. Called my buddy, thinking he'd have to come pick up the scooter. He asked if I had the receipt from paying the ticket and then told me I was good to go and could ride around for a week without my license as long as I had that receipt.

As it seems they are considering extending the Emergency Decree until the end of June now, you should be OK until then at least. The DLTs may open before then as well.

With all the talk of opening the bars sooner than planned as things are so tickety-boo, I find it hard to understand why the DLT offices are still closed. Immigration, banks, shops, restaurants and now malls are all open, and implementing measures to protect their staff, so why is the DLT shut?

5 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Do you mean driving licence or licence plates? There is currently problem with issuing both.

Driving licences don't have to be renewed until further notice. Driving without driving licence (having issued one at all) is usually 400 Baht. Until you cause an accident, then all hell will break lose.

We had new car license plates issued last month and exchanged for the red plates. No problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

From personal experience (a few years ago now) i got caught at a checkpoint one time. I had my IDP but had left it on the big bike and was on the scooter when I hit the checkpoint.

Had to go inside an pay the ticket (for driving without a license) - 200 baht. Called my buddy, thinking he'd have to come pick up the scooter. He asked if I had the receipt from paying the ticket and then told me I was good to go and could ride around for a week without my license as long as I had that receipt.

As it seems they are considering extending the Emergency Decree until the end of June now, you should be OK until then at least. The DLTs may open before then as well.

"What Is The Penalty For Driving Without A License In Thailand?

The penalty for driving a scooter in Thailand without a license is 1 000 Baht (USD 31.48, 27.48 EUR, 23.77 GBP)."

https://thailandtravelessentials.com/license-to-rent-a-scooter-in-thailand/   

10 minutes ago, andersonat said:

"What Is The Penalty For Driving Without A License In Thailand?

The penalty for driving a scooter in Thailand without a license is 1 000 Baht (USD 31.48, 27.48 EUR, 23.77 GBP)."

https://thailandtravelessentials.com/license-to-rent-a-scooter-in-thailand/   

Under the old law, the maximum penalty was 1,000 baht. I believe that's what you could face if it went to court. It seems the Traffic Police can issue tickets for lesser amounts. 
In 2018 they were proposing to increase the maximum fine to 50,000. Not sure if that happened (yet).

6 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

It’s only driving license that are affected.

687E99A9-34A1-4B57-9833-6597C9E9BD1D.jpeg.26a2e2d4c7023611866292478ca31797.jpeg

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Wonder what the penalty is for driving without a license these days? 

I used to have a Thai licence, but found it cheaper NOT to have one! Just pay the BiB on the spot rather than waste time going to the police station, which will cost more. I will never forget the expression on the Thai policeman’s face when I told him he could keep the licence. Amazing Thailand.

Edited by DaRoadrunner

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

and if your involved in a serious accident and someone dies   ?

Thai or farang you always pay! Even not your fold! Or go to court and watch what happen!

Farang pay more!

Edited by 2 is 1

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

From another thread.

This is the latest news I am aware of:

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30387368?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=internal_referral

So you are safe from prosecution or insurance denial in case of expired license.

At least up until a week after the lock-down is eased and the DLT reopens.

1 hour ago, DaRoadrunner said:

I used to have a Thai licence, but found it cheaper NOT to have one! Just pay the BiB on the spot rather than waste time going to the police station, which will cost more.

the 'it won't happen to me' approach has caught plenty of people out in the past. It voids your insurance, you are on the road illegally etc etc...  have an accident where someone is seriously hurt or killed and you could find yourself on a very sticky wicket.

On Koh Samui it is 500 baht. That was two weeks ago. They are out pulling all tourists over demanding they show licence. I forgot my international licence that day and had to pay 500 tea money. It's lean times for the cops these days and they need to eat too.

Edited by cheapcanuck

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

At least up until a week after the lock-down is eased and the DLT reopens.

the 'it won't happen to me' approach has caught plenty of people out in the past. It voids your insurance, you are on the road illegally etc etc...  have an accident where someone is seriously hurt or killed and you could find yourself on a very sticky wicket.

It voids your losses. but covers the damage you caused, as in Drink or drugs etc.