Tourist police to the rescue - British pensioner has no relatives left and owed 17,000 baht to the hospital

webfact

44 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

I love it how the armchair judges look down on this guy. Maybe he did have an exit plan but it failed? He lost his wife 2 years ago. A million things could have happened to him between his wife's death and today. 

So it's ok for him to drive around Thailand without even 17k in the bank ?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

Assist him getting back to the UK, do you have zero empathy?

Why don't you help him if you have so much sympathy and let us know the outcome afterwards? Many people say a lot but do little to nothing. Try to be different. It is easy to type something here...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Ever had d health insurance? It goes up every year20 years I had it and when I needed it it wasn,t worth a toss.

Can you read ? I said the first thing i arranged was health insurance when I came back 15 years. I have used it. So far I paid more into it then i took too.. boo hooo...  but it could have been different. 

Most people take the gamble and then moan when it goes wrong and let others pay for them / don't pay. Because of the people that arent paying now it wont be a choice anymore. Soon it will be all mandatory. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jimmjam said:

Where would he go once he gets to the uk?

The streets?

He has no family, so obviously no house in the u.k.

And the housing department wouldnt be very helpful in finding him a place to stay.

If he only has a pension he wouldnt be able to live in the u.k anyway unless he gets free housing which would take forever.

what do you think is the answer for old folks in his situation  ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CaptainCarrot said:

He's been living in Thailand since he retired, so his pension is pegged at what it was the day he retired. Nearer to 400GBP/month I think.

I'm the same age as him. My frozen UK pension is £600 a month. And at my age no insurance company that I know of, provides cover after 75 - or maybe at best, a ridiculously high premium. 

If I'm hospitalised, I'll use my savings. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

It's not a fortune is it....& the Thai's have acted quite well with him.

But it is another brick in the wall of people who have the opinion that all non Thai residents should have insurance. Sometimes its hard to argue the case against it.

wouldn't be an issue if he was following the rules - read my above post

the mandatory Thai insurance for O-A visa types provides 400kbaht cover - it is no accident that those on extensions need to retain 400k in their bank accounts 12 months a year - and IO explained some time ago that that is exactly what the retained 400k balance was for - insurance

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ezzra said:

with so many well to do foreigners in Thailand, until date there isn't one body that has formed and that can help and rescue a foreigner in true distress thinking that embassies can solve all problems, about time someone will pick up the glove and do something about and show the Thai people and the government that foreigners can look after their own...I'll put my baht where my mouth is and will donate what ever is needed...

Maybe a job for Theodore?

53 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I pay 50bht to see a doctor in the government hospital, very reasonable price.

(That's the charge for any person not registered to that hospital under the Thai '30bht' scheme)

Is it still like this? I think they changed this. Even a year before this change they charged me 500 Baht for a doctor at the Pattaya City Hospital. But I remember when I went to the Banglamung hospital about 20 years ago. They didn't know what to charge me as foreigner and so I paid nothing at all. But I am afraid this time is over. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

everyone is assuming he has no money 

my take on the OP is that he is refusing to pay by saying he has no money 

he of course does have money - he has at least a government pension and likely a work pension also so why is he refusing to pay the bill - that is not entirely clear

5 minutes ago, nausea said:

This is the Thailand I love. A lot of these small acts of kindness go on all the time, all over the place, you never hear about them much though. Live here for a while and you realise your average Thai is a pretty decent bloke, or blokess.

very true but there is also a dark side