Tourist police to the rescue - British pensioner has no relatives left and owed 17,000 baht to the hospital

webfact

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

so he has been here 15 yrs and has no money and no relatives. geeeze .... 

he certainly didn't plan his exit.  Go fund me ... here we go again.

I say raise $800 and throw him on the plane to the UK.  One way ticket. 

Maybe he could get some Thai television channel tv reporter to report on his case via Facebook. Then Thai people will send him 8.3 million baht overnight in one day. He can close his account the next day and live very well moving forward. Where did I hear that before? Oh yes, it was a taxi driver from a week ago that became an instant millionaire overnight.

Edited by bbi1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

The hospital should pursue him for the money. What about seizing the vehicle he was driving ?
Too many people over here chancing their arm by not having insurance. Make insurance mandatory, and provide cover at reasonable cost. Premiums would depend on the hospital you want to go to, high for the fancy internationals, lower for the basic municipal.

They will probably do what they normally do, arrange a payment plan.

17,000bt is nothing, if he can't raise this he shouldn't be here. Go home and put yourself on the mercies of Social Services. Guys hanging about here with nothing is crazy, a disaster waiting to happen. Yeah, you can get away with it for years, then the emergency happens and you're screwed. Personally, I always budget twice what I think I reasonably need. And I can tell you, my budget isn't showing a plus figure at the moment.

22 minutes ago, EricTh said:

300*4=1,200 baht so why was he charged 17,000 baht?

He either had a operation or two or he got the "special" price for Farangs, I think you can guess which is more likely...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

I love it how the armchair judges look down on this guy. Maybe he did have an exit plan but it failed? He lost his wife 2 years ago. A million things could have happened to him between his wife's death and today. 

Too many of them to bear, can't wait to knock. One guy says throw the book at him then says affordable insurance should be available to all. Talk about  numb skull. Really helpful. My old Mum always told me if you can't say something nice don't bother to say anything at all. A lesson a lot on here could learn from.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jiggo said:

May be the same may happen too you one day you heartless burstard.

not heartless ...lol, i hope he finds a solution to his demise and gets back home.

what do you suggest ....  pass the hat around.  He needs someone from back home, friend maybe to help him to fly back.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, steven100 said:

so he has been here 15 yrs and has no money and no relatives. geeeze .... 

he certainly didn't plan his exit.  Go fund me ... here we go again.

I say raise $800 and throw him on the plane to the UK.  One way ticket. 

Yes.

Of course he cannot get insurance that is well known for a 75 year old.

If he is a "pensioner" he should have some money and I presume some health coverage in his home country.

It seems irresponsible for him to stay here if in poor health, and potentially being a further burden on the medical care services here.  To add, what kind of care is he going to get here if he is truly sick, needs to be hospitalized and continues with his "I have no money" theme.  

He should do the right thing especially for himself and go back to his home country.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, overt2016 said:

Just hope you never find yourself in trouble. DH!

i feel sorry for him but, he needs to sort his life out ...  

what's your solution ?  I spoke the truth and you ridicule me for that.  lol

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourist police to the rescue - British pensioner has no relatives left and owed 17,000 baht to the hospital

75 Yr old ,been here 15 Yrs . Must have a pension Right? Must have an Extension based on Marriage/Retirement Right? Hasn't got 2 Bob in his pocket .What's he do with his Money ? He's only by himself so should have Some money. Doesn't add up !

10 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

I love it how the armchair judges look down on this guy. Maybe he did have an exit plan but it failed? He lost his wife 2 years ago. A million things could have happened to him between his wife's death and today. 

Totally agree.  Sometimes things happen beyond our control.  Don't judge,  it shows your own ignorance

• Like 2