Video: Who's in the right? Security guard said he was innocent and was on his way to work so didn't stop

webfact

Video: Who's in the right? Security guard said he was innocent and was on his way to work so didn't stop

2pm_vi.jpg
Picture: Daily News

A video that hit national Thai TV showed the moment when a 53 year old woman was crossing a Soi in Samrong near Bangkok. 

Bunliang told Samrong Neua police later that she looked right and left while riding her bicycle and thought the motorcycle would go round her.

Somrit, 44, collided with her and left her in a heap in the soi. 

He then had a go at her for causing the accident before driving off leaving other people to attend to tbe lady who had been on her way to market.

The victim and her daughter Nuanchawee who posted the footage on Facebook went to the police.

They didn't want to make a big deal of it but wanted an apology. 

The cops managed to contact the rider who turned up later to say that he was not the one at fault. He said he stopped to inquire about the lady and seeing that she was not injured he drove off.

He said he was on his way to work and couldn't stop for long.

Police charged him with recklessness and fleeing the scene of an accident.

It was agreed that he would pay 10,000 baht restitution to the lady - in two instalments. 

Source: Daily News

I'm not Thai and I didn't spend my formative years here, but when I'm driving, I'm always fully aware and considerate of pedestrians and treat them accordingly as the unpredictable creatures that they are. I apply the exact same logic to drivers when I'm the pedestrian. 

The roads here are a sad state of affairs. 

5 hours ago, thequietman said:

She clearly did not look and wasn't in any kind of hurry to cross in time. Me, me, me.

The motorcycle driver should have found it easy to go around her to the left, but they are not taught here to go for the gap. ????

70% her & 30% him - regarding fault. ????

I see it at 70% him, and 30% her, regarding fault. Then you add 30% more for him, to make it a nice even number.

If I was able to see on the sides of the roads, for the last 15 years here in Phuket, and know what is moving towards where, how come he was not?

The only few times I had some close calls on my motorbikes, is when I decided to reduce my speed by 10 to 20 km per hour, depending on the type of road....

"She clearly did not look and wasn't in any kind of hurry to cross in time. Me, me, me."

If it was a 5 year old kid, would you say the same, me,me,me, and blame the kid.

If I am on a streets where people are walking, old Phuket town for example, I will be the one driving at 20 km/k, looking at these motorbike drivers trying to reach their own eternity as quickly as possible, and not caring about bringing someone else with them.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, thequietman said:

She clearly did not look and wasn't in any kind of hurry to cross in time. Me, me, me.

The motorcycle driver should have found it easy to go around her to the left, but they are not taught here to go for the gap. ????

70% her & 30% him - regarding fault. ????

He hit her - end of. 

He should have been traveling at an appropriate speed and been able to brake and/or take evasive action. Arguing and pissing off just made matters worse.

IME, the police here usually apportion blame to the driver that hits.

The clip starts a little late, however, from what I can see it would appear the cause / blame is the usual... 'Two stupid people not taking care of their safety'

The woman is crossing the road without any real degree of attention or awareness of oncoming traffic.

The motorcyclist was not really looking where he was going and failed to spot the lady crossing the road until too late. 

Both clearly in the wrong - the motorcyclist should have stopped and could stopped had he been paying attention.

70/30 fault weighted towards the motorcyclists.

I don't think it's a matter of who was in the wrong, he clearly was not harmed, the lady might have had a few bruises...but a little compassion from him might have helped. Like going to her and helping her to the side of the road. Or perhaps I'm wrong, he turned round and enquired/looked at her, and that' is enough...is it?

Edited by TKDfella
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

I don't think it's a matter of who was in the wrong, he clearly was not harmed, the lady might have had a few bruises...but a little compassion from him might have helped. Or perhaps I'm wrong and he turned round and called 'Are you okay?' and she replied 'I'm fine, thanks.'

Indeed, in not getting off his bike to offer some assistance to the lady on the floor the motorcyclists showed his true self centered selfish nature.

We saw three guys run over to help, that's good. But all too often we see those involved in the accident drive off with a degree of unashamed carelessness - I think this is down to the extreme juvenile nature of many Thai's who are unable to handle any form of conflict and instead panic because they don't know what to do.

It's a shame people need to be educated to do the right thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

He hit her - end of. 

He should have been traveling at an appropriate speed and been able to brake and/or take evasive action. Arguing and pissing off just made matters worse.

Agree with you.

I looked at that video many times on the tv news. There was actually a bike coming towards them from the opposite direction and the bike rider was still on the wrong side of the road.

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

He hit her - end of. 

Imagine he would have been Farang