USB internet dongle problem

robblok

Hi,

I got fiber optics but at times it gives out and so i thought why not buy a USB internet dongle and connect it to my router (the router has the option).

So i got one with a card that has a year prepaid internet on it. Put the sim in the dongle and the dongle in the router.

However it does not connect. Do i need to activate a sim first in some way or something else. DOes it need a name and password (i assume not) its a normal phone sim.

what manufacturer and model is the router? Can you not download and refer to their router manual?

I would think you need to insert the USB dongle in the router and then connect a lan cable, and access the router settings by typing 192.168.1.1 or whatever it is, type in the password and then configure the ISP and other parameters for the 4G dongle.

36 minutes ago, robblok said:

I got it to work in the end on my computer. But that was it. 

Perhaps you need to install the correct driver on your Laptop. 

12 minutes ago, Oldie said:

Perhaps you need to install the correct driver on your Laptop. 

Yea.. but the intention was to have it connected to my router as a second internet connection. Just for when the first fibre optic stops.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yea.. but the intention was to have it connected to my router as a second internet connection. Just for when the first fibre optic stops.

I know routers that work with a SIM. But I have never heard of a router where you can use a USB dongle. What router is this? 

The Router documentation will tell you which brands or specific models of Wireless Internet USB devices it works with (for driver in device initialization compatibility).

So not just any USB device will work, which is why someone already asked the the Router and USB dongle make/model info to check.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RichCor said:

The Router documentation will tell you which brands or specific models of Wireless Internet USB devices it works with (for driver in device initialization compatibility).

So not just any USB device will work, which is why someone already asked the the Router and USB dongle make/model info to check.  

Yes that was something i found out later. Should have looked before i bought i assumed all would work. The one I bought had software that needed to be installed and did not work.

19 hours ago, Oldie said:

I know routers that work with a SIM. But I have never heard of a router where you can use a USB dongle. What router is this? 

Hi, its the Asus RT-AC86U   

Quite a good router i must say. I use it for my 3bb fiber optic connection. The 3bb router is in bridge mode.

BTW, you may still be able to use the year prepaid internet SIM you now have if you choose to buy a USB Internet Dongle that's both compatible with the ASUS RT-AC86U and the SIM carrier. 

Though sometimes it's just cheaper to buy the a Dongle that already comes pre-packaged with a year-active SIM.

I have an Asus router here. At first the dongle (not in the list of supported sticks) was found but not loaded.

I flashed another firmware program on the Asus (for another reasons) and the USB dongle was recognized as 3G modem and it works flawless.

Dongle : TrueMove H 3G

Asus RT-N18U
Firmware : FreshTomato ( 2018.5 K26ARM USB AIO-64K-NOSMP Linux kernel 2.6.36.4brcmarm and Broadcom Wireless)

• Like 1