Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Hard working student and kind philanthropist praised after incident in suki restaurant


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

did he throw in a pair of socks 

the old ones can be rinsed

 

those shoes are in better nick than my childhood kickabouts

Edited by NightSky
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Roy Baht said:

What kind of society do we want to live in? One that pays people a living wage? Or one in which rich people buy shoes for random people? We want shoes from rich people! 🤣

How about a society that pays people a living wage, that includes people more fortunate being generous to those less fortunate?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

"The secondary school boy serving at an adjacent table to a hi-so looking customer thought he was in for a rocket ...."

 

What is "in for a rocket"?  Never heard that in my life. 

 

(Those are the shoes you get at the supermarkets for the new school year that are super cheap and designed to last about that long. Those shoes probably cost about 119 baht.)

Edited by Trujillo
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, it´s fantastic. Never heard of anything this kind. My face is now full of happy tears just reading about it. The question, though, is how newsworthy it really is?

 

Real headline: Rich guy buys new shoes for student

If the rich man made a strong complaint, saying the poor boy insulted him by serving his food wearing such shabby shoes and made him loose his job, cause many people to jump up and applause in joy and made the incident 'news worthy' to your standards?

Your "Real headline" speaks volumes of your standards and is a perfect 'self' advertisement - a good selfie.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Roy Baht said:

What kind of society do we want to live in? One that pays people a living wage? Or one in which rich people buy shoes for random people? We want shoes from rich people! 🤣

Aren't there ANY poor people in the country you come from? No one is forced to help the poor, hence enjoying  ones wealth in silence is better than laughing at situations such as this.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Is that some kind of tea on the table, or whisky with water,

or ?

LOL

Never been to MK?

That's some kind of tea.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ravip said:

If the rich man made a strong complaint, saying the poor boy insulted him by serving his food wearing such shabby shoes and made him loose his job, cause many people to jump up and applause in joy and made the incident 'news worthy' to your standards?

Your "Real headline" speaks volumes of your standards and is a perfect 'self' advertisement - a good selfie.

No, that is not news worthy either.

Speaks volumes of what standards? What do you base that on?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sweatalot said:

every good deed and any event of people helping each other is neworthy.

So easy to forget things like that by the usual kind  of news selecting only the negative

As much as I understand you, I will still have to look at it out of importance. One person was good and one person got new shoes. He was good to, because he worked hard.
Too me that sounds like ABC-playschool

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, misterjames said:

Do they really need to take pics of the kids feet and post this story online? why is it that these people always need others to know that they have done a good deed?  He could of just slipped the kid 1000 baht and whispered in his ear but instead he takes pics and an announces it to the world to show face.

Agreed

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, it´s fantastic. Never heard of anything this kind. My face is now full of happy tears just reading about it. The question, though, is how newsworthy it really is?

 

Real headline: Rich guy buys new shoes for student

That you could dig such negativity out of a good story speaks volumes about yourself - Matzzon, you are nothing if not consistent.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That you could dig such negativity out of a good story speaks volumes about yourself - Matzzon, you are nothing if not consistent.

Haters will always hate, they like to wallow in their own misery. The customer is a well known philanthropist who runs a free medical clinic for the poor since a long time. However, he should never have consented to being photographed and published over a trivial matter of buying a pair of shoes which cost maybe 500 Baht. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, misterjames said:

Do they really need to take pics of the kids feet and post this story online? why is it that these people always need others to know that they have done a good deed?  He could of just slipped the kid 1000 baht and whispered in his ear but instead he takes pics and an announces it to the world to show face.

Different culture. We were raised that charity should be done with an emphasis on preserving the recipient's dignity and privacy. We gave not for fame or recognition: We gave because it was the right thing to do.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That you could dig such negativity out of a good story speaks volumes about yourself - Matzzon, you are nothing if not consistent.

Sure, it´s a good story. What´s so negative with that I do not think it´s something that are important enough to be in the news?

 

 

Edited by Matzzon
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Different culture. We were raised that charity should be done with an emphasis on preserving the recipient's dignity and privacy. We gave not for fame or recognition: We gave because it was the right thing to do.

Hmmmmm  We all give for different social reasons. I do not think its right to say that the so called 'western' way is better / more worthy than what we see more of in Asia with more public display of giving.

 

Just think about celebrity charity giving in the west - Pay a huge ticket to have a dinner with some 'important celebrity' for raising money for a 'children hospital'.   Is that not just another form of 'giving to feel good' .. to be seen to be good .....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rvaviator said:

Hmmmmm  We all give for different social reasons. I do not think its right to say that the so called 'western' way is better / more worthy than what we see more of in Asia with more public display of giving.

 

Just think about celebrity charity giving in the west - Pay a huge ticket to have a dinner with some 'important celebrity' for raising money for a 'children hospital'.   Is that not just another form of 'giving to feel good' .. to be seen to be good .....

 

Difference is the kids in receipt of the funds for the children's hospitals you mentioned are not forced to take pictures and lose their dignity for the price of a new pair of shoes.

 

This kid had no choice but to have pics of his feet taken and have his picture taken in exchange for new shoes he had little choice in the matter when stood in front of a customer and his boss but to accept and let the pictures be taken he may well have been extremely uncomfortable about the whole situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically rich guy gave 200thb. tip for the waiter boy.

Nothing unheard.

But a rather cost effective way to get good publicity.

 

No reference why the restaurant manager is ok with substandard uniform, and selected the boy in shoes with holes to tend the hi-so patron.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...