Cambodia lifts entry ban from six countries as coronavirus eases

geovalin

Cambodia’s new requirements are similar to what Thailand required before the complete Foreigner Ban was instituted.  The major difference was Thailand wanted $100,000 USD in Insurance coverage and Cambodia wants $50,000 USD in insurance coverage.  Doubt if many foreigners will come to Cambodia with these similar requirements?  

• Thanks 1

Since no tourist visas are being issued the foreigners coming now will be people who live work etc in Cambodia so have pressing reasons to return.

The big stickler is being placed in quarantine in a government facility for 14 days.

While self-isolation is an option if all passengers on a flight test befative all rhe flughts reported on to date have contained at least one positive case.

4 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Cambodia’s new requirements are similar to what Thailand required before the complete Foreigner Ban was instituted.  The major difference was Thailand wanted $100,000 USD in Insurance coverage and Cambodia wants $50,000 USD in insurance coverage.  Doubt if many foreigners will come to Cambodia with these similar requirements?  

The $50,000 insurance cover is for international travel during the current covid-19 situation. When all is back to normal, this will not be a requirement (along with the quarantine period) and the tourists will swarm in - Chinese to Sihanoukville, Chinese and other foreigners to Siem Reap (for Angkor Wat) and Phnom Penh. As a tourist visiting Cambodia, and any other country in fact, it will be assumed you have fully comprehensive travel insurance. Do you honestly think the gambling Chinese will adhere to this insurance cover?

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Redline said:

$50,000 in health insurance ????

you could buy a hospital in Cambodia with that ????

Hardly.

And it will nto go very far in covering cost of a major accident or catastrophic illness. Need at least $250,000 cover plus provision for med-evac

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Hardly.

And it will nto go very far in covering cost of a major accident or catastrophic illness. Need at least $250,000 cover plus provision for med-evac

Curious if you have been to the hospitals in the countryside ???? they are not worth much more than that.  Having insurance is a good idea, but you would need to go to Thailand for any quality care.  Cambodians don’t even have insurance.  I help pay for a clinic that treats a school and the locals-there is a long line every day

1 hour ago, Redline said:

Curious if you have been to the hospitals in the countryside ???? they are not worth much more than that.  Having insurance is a good idea, but you would need to go to Thailand for any quality care.  Cambodians don’t even have insurance.  I help pay for a clinic that treats a school and the locals-there is a long line every day

I have been to every provincial hospital in the country, the majority of District Referral Hospitals, hundreds of Health Centers and all the National Hospitals.

And many of the private hospitals .

I also have detailed knowledge of their budgets, and of construction costs.

Below provincial level capacities are minimal, no one with an illness requiring inpatient hospitalization wants to be in these and frankly one does not  want to be in a provincial hospital either if it can be avoided.

But that does nto mean they are cheap or can be bought for 50K.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

you would need to go to Thailand for any quality care. (from Redline)

Not strictly true - there are plenty of private "quality" hospitals and clinics in the cities IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I have been to every provincial hospital in the country, the majority of District Referral Hospitals, hundreds of Health Centers and all the National Hospitals.

And many of the private hospitals .

I also have detailed knowledge of their budgets, and of construction costs.

Below provincial level capacities are minimal, no one with an illness requiring inpatient hospitalization wants to be in these and frankly one does not  want to be in a provincial hospital either if it can be avoided.

But that does nto mean they are cheap or can be bought for 50K.

Well, the comment wasn’t meant to be realistic, but $50,000 used to be a lot of cash there a few years ago.

I haven’t visited the child I support there in three years.

The Chinese have driven prices up dramatically.  My friends that ran businesses in Sihanoukville have moved on.

I hope you are helping the people there.  They really struggle.

Edited by Redline

26 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Not strictly true - there are plenty of private "quality" hospitals and clinics in the cities IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY.

Those private "quality" hospitals do not mean much without qualified doctors however.  Money may buy comfort but from my understanding many of the more qualified foreign doctors have not remained during this covid-19 period.  Cambodia is not a medical tourist destination for good reasons.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

I have been to a hospital and a few clinics.  I have never been in a proper hospital there.  My friends there could never afford that.

I know the PM goes to Singapore for his hospital visits.

• Thanks 1