Nearly 6,000 THAI staff to be laid off

webfact

38 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Board Room should be cleared and disinfected anyway; they are about as useful as a Chocolate Teapot !

Hmmm. Chocolate  is quite addictive for not  so obscure  reasons. If in a teapot can be  excused to the deliberately blinded  as  "Green Tea". The only way to know is to be priviledged enough  to  get a taste!

35 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

The Chinese -at a discount price - for the routes and infrastructure!!

The selling point is the air sectors they have negotiable rights for. 

That's why many are purchased by others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, P100 said:

Cool. China will buy THAI soon. Quatity on board went into dive already for many years. Reputation and trust gone too. Would be a real surprize for me if China won't do major investments into THAI Airways....Nihao!

Good news. An extra source of income: just think of all the coins the ghastly ignorant mainlanders throw into the engines before takeoff for good luck. THAI could re-employ some of the HiSo arrogant cabin janitor ladies to scoop them up and collect them all in their large suitcases. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, boriga said:

A crude benchmark to consider is the staff to airplane ratios, albeit open to manipulation through outsourcing etc.

That said Thai have over 22,000 staff and 74 planes, roughly 300 to I. Most European airlines such as BA or Lufthansa, run on half that 130-150 to 1, some such as Swiss or Air NZ run with less than 100 to 1.

By any standards, the head count loss was well overdue and an indicator of low productivity.

It's just as likely that Thai did stuff with employees instead of contracting everything out.  Catering, cleaning, maintenance, ticketing, etc.

I'm not claiming to know the answer.  Just that there are very different cultures on comparison, which will skew the quick and dirty ratios.

• Like 2

Any idea if refunds for flights will be honoured or can be used at a later date...we had Europe flights from Australia booked for July but were told to apply for a refund which would take 6 months....? 

Edited by condo62

4 minutes ago, condo62 said:

Any idea if refunds for flights will be honoured or can be used at a later date...we had Europe flights from Australia booked for July but were told to apply for a refund which would take 6 months....? 

I'll ask you this ......  they owe billions of baht to creditors,  they have declared bankruptcy, they have sacked 6000 employees ......  and you want your air ticket ....  lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lujanit said:

If it comes about TG 2.0 will have a very difficult time trying to operate.  Every company and airport will want payment up front.  Absolutely no credit will be afforded to them.

On the contrary.  They will be first in line for any payments, with all future purchases and agreements approved by the agency in charge of the bankruptcy.  It's pretty safe to do business with a company operating under bankruptcy laws. 

They'd be a lot more worried about doing business with Thai if they didn't declare the bankruptcy.  Then, they'd be way down on the list of creditors.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Ah yes; that excrement airline where you get treated like excrement while trying to eat the muck they call food with your quickly splintering plastic 'cutlery'.   Did it once; never again !

Dreadful airline. Clapped out aircraft, horrible food. But the worst are their convict clientele: barefeet, singlets, unshaven, body odour, scruffy, smelly, unwashed hair, obese, beer bellies, shouting and trying to impress by overindulging in alcoholic drinks. Badly behaved, potentially violent. No wonder they first arrived below deck, unlike the Kiwis, who arrived above deck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

They do realise that by writing off any money owed to Airbus could mean they lose 30 planes. right ? 

That's just what they owe to Airbus.  There's no telling how many leasing companies and financial firms are quietly making arrangements to repossess aircraft once they land outside of Thailand. 

Which would lead me to suspect the first in line for payments will be those with claims to the livery.  And passengers owed money for cancelled flights will be lucky if they see a dime.

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Denim said:

Typo.

Should read :

Thai will stop repaying all debt and start accumulating more from scratch.

New Thai Airway will rise like a Phoenix from the ashes but will ultimately meet the same fate as Icarus.

Why??? 

4 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Why??? 

Quoting (or at least paraphrasing) Uma Thurman....  It's in their nature.

Same reason I'd bet every dollar in my wallet that there will be another coup.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Never liked the cabin crew, very condescending, especially to Thais. Most got their job through some kind of nepotism or cronyism and find it hard to wait on others, especially below them on the hierarchical social ladder.

look what happened to one of them

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

Quoting (or at least paraphrasing) Uma Thurman....  It's in their nature.

Same reason I'd bet every dollar in my wallet that there will be another coup.

It's their nature

You mean this :

body odour, scruffy, smelly, unwashed hair, obese, beer bellies, shouting ? ????

7 hours ago, sahibji said:

sad to see Thai airways headed that way. it is a good airline.

Fom what I've seen on here most would disagree. But I actually agree, at least so far as their business class which I've always enjoyed. Also their direct flights to European capitals, daily. So I'm hoping they continue. But if they lose their best aircraft with modern configurations there will be better options even if they involve a transit stop at a hub airport.

• Like 1

Thai Airways, like so many good airlines had its time in the lime light. It became sluggish and its staff more intent on pilfering perfumes from the duty free bucket rather than looking after their customers. Ever try and cash in  frequent flier points on "Star Alliance" and specifically with Thai Airways? They have great routes but you cannot convert a pig's ear into a silk purse - as in smooth as silk. Kaputt. Finto. C'est la fin. I had wished that they would opt to international management rather than this death by a thousand cuts. 

6 minutes ago, cheapcanuck said:

Who would buy a stake in a bankrupt airline? It would have to be pennies on the dollar for any investors to buy. 

There isn't an investor out there that would.  

Buffett bought all kinds of United, and about a week later sold at a huge loss going "what the hell was I thinking".  

1 hour ago, umlungu2012 said:

Good news. An extra source of income: just think of all the coins the ghastly ignorant mainlanders throw into the engines before takeoff for good luck. THAI could re-employ some of the HiSo arrogant cabin janitor ladies to scoop them up and collect them all in their large suitcases. 

You wont get far on seven jiao.

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

Hopefully some of them will of the indifferent, aloof and oh' not so young anymore cabin crew... and why on earth are they always lugging these huge suitcases even on a single overnight trip i could never understand...

I thought you were from that "I refuse to fly THAI" clique?

How do you know what size bags they have?

How do you know which crews are overnighting?

You haven't left Thailand in aeons.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Question: How many among these laid-off employees are going to be grossly overpaid top executives?

Therein lies one of the company's many problems. As long as the nobjobs are still on the payroll, the company doesn't stand much of a chance. 

• Like 1