Nearly 6,000 THAI staff to be laid off

webfact

Airline will be liquidated. There is no way for them to recover without a huge cash infusion to cover several years of minimum operations (~USD$30-40B).  (Their current market cap is USD$400 million!) They essentially need to dump all their widebodies, which are currently worthless and underwater, and try to find a way to restart with much smaller/cheaper planes. 

A new airline with the “Thai” name (bought for nothing by one of the PM’s cronies most likely) will be launched in a couple years, and the cycle will be repeated.

• Like 1

With the risk of sounding cynical, they probably told the clients 5 months for a refund, because by that time phone lines will be cut off and e-mails will be bouncing back.

2 hours ago, QPRFC said:

I'm still waiting for my promised refund for a cancelled flight at the end of March....at first I was told 4-6 weeks, then 6-8 weeks....well it's been 10 weeks and a few days, still no refund.
So, the Government will be paid off first, then the overpaid executives and then it'll collapse and then restart afresh with loyal passengers losing everything, air-miles, refunds etc
Corruption at it's finest without losing face, albeit the announcement backflips, money rules OK!!!

Sadly a lot of airlines are doing this.  They are not all going bankrupt, but they cannot afford to pay people their refunded tickets.

The chances of you getting a refund is, of course, fairly poor but you never know.  Hope that it works out.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, condo62 said:

Any idea if refunds for flights will be honoured or can be used at a later date...we had Europe flights from Australia booked for July but were told to apply for a refund which would take 6 months....? 

Ditto. 

Mine is a credit for later use until December and the possibility to extend until December 2021.

With no penalty.

I held onto it basically because of the booking being on their system. 

And it's a one way back to Thailand and my partner. 

Knowing that they were taking refinancing and other government inflicted possibilities, I would like to think that the offer was an honourable one.

(There is about one year of action before the bankruptcy process is enforced)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Never liked the cabin crew, very condescending, especially to Thais. Most got their job through some kind of nepotism or cronyism and find it hard to wait on others, especially below them on the hierarchical social ladder.

I would hope that they will get more well mannered cabin staff in the reborn Thai Airways, but TIT, so very unlikely. They are always extremely rude to my wife whenever we fly Thai (and that is only when there is no other reasonable choice; BKK-BNE only)

11 hours ago, ukdave51 said:

Well getting rid of people that keep the planes airworthy wouldn`t be the greatest bit of thinking would it?

Really?

How does the airline lose that much money every year?

From making poor, senseless decisions.

18 hours ago, ezzra said:

Hopefully some of them will of the indifferent, aloof and oh' not so young anymore cabin crew... and why on earth are they always lugging these huge suitcases even on a single overnight trip i could never understand...

Lots of goodies to bring back ???

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ezzra said:

Hopefully some of them will of the indifferent, aloof and oh' not so young anymore cabin crew... and why on earth are they always lugging these huge suitcases even on a single overnight trip i could never understand...

Supplementary income from duty free?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Ditto. 

Mine is a credit for later use until December and the possibility to extend until December 2021.

With no penalty.

I held onto it basically because of the booking being on their system. 

And it's a one way back to Thailand and my partner. 

Knowing that they were taking refinancing and other government inflicted possibilities, I would like to think that the offer was an honourable one.

(There is about one year of action before the bankruptcy process is enforced)

If bankruptcy is enforced though the courts day one has already commenced and unsecured creditors can say goodbye to what is owed.. Or at the very best wait at the end of the line for your return of 3% if you are lucky.

New debt going forward should be guaranteed by appointment of an administrator and probably financed by the government.

12 hours ago, Blumpie said:

The airline is probably going belly up.  It would surprise me if they weren't, but I am still unsure.  

Many of these people being laid off will not be temporary at all.  Airline travel will not be back to normal until at least the end of 2021 or more likely 2022.  All over the world people are being let go permanently.  

Thailand's sugarcoating of what is really going on is wearing thin.  

It goes all the way down to the bang for the buck. 

60 baht to the £1 is now 40.

Anyone buying anything from Thailand is having to fork out about 30% more.

And talking about the bang, they still want top price for older stock, past it's use by date...

5 hours ago, geoffrobbo said:

I would hope that they will get more well mannered cabin staff in the reborn Thai Airways, but TIT, so very unlikely. They are always extremely rude to my wife whenever we fly Thai (and that is only when there is no other reasonable choice; BKK-BNE only)

Does you wife tell you they've been rude to her or do you hear them being rude to her yourself?

36 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

I've a lovely story about Thai airways and especially a certain member of its cabin crew.   After many years of plowing my way through the charming ladies from Isaan and waking up too many times with just what i stood up in, i figured that i'd get myself something a little hi-so and step the game up a touch. I ended up meeting a youngish lady who was Thai international cabin crew, she had all the bits and bobs of hi-so armour including a convertible Saab 99, i never knew they even made one...... Anyway after a couple of weeks of abusing each other she informed me that she wanted to marry me and it was about time i met daddy..... Alarm bells and red lights flashing in my head and Defcon 3 showing up on my forehead i informed her that i was not the marrying type and after all we had only known each other two weeks !  

The transformation from "Tea or coffee sir" ? to "What do you prefer, cremation or burial" ? was instantanious and then she informed me who her father was, (Politician, not a nice one at the time) and she gets what she wants........ Khao Jai mei ?   You've never seen a man pack as many bags as fast and ditch my apartment and headed for the hills,,,,,,, bunny boiler was light weight compared to this one......... 

She did tell me a little pillow story about when passengers annoyed her at work, she'd take a bread bun into the khazi and rub it on her "Mimsy" then present the annoying passenger with an extra flavoured bun on their tray.  I still live in fear of meeting her again, she was insane and far too well connected for ones health..... I'm glad to say that i returned to the wonderful ladies of Isaan and their not too life threatening ways.........

"Smooth as Silk"...........  

Was her 'mimsy' smooth as silk?

10 minutes ago, barryofthailand said:

Thai Airways will not survive if they do not meet the ticket prices of the competition. Especially now when it is going to be critical to start flying again I 

Plus they won't survive any re-build unless they make major changes to their recruitment policies and assessment factors. 

59 minutes ago, barryofthailand said:

Thai Airways will not survive if they do not meet the ticket prices of the competition. Especially now when it is going to be critical to start flying again I 

Sure but will they have experience staff who can calculate fares and costs which will bring better fares?

On 5/21/2020 at 1:24 PM, sahibji said:

sad to see Thai airways headed that way. it is a good airline.

I would agree that it USED to be a good airline, I stopped flying international business class with them probably more than twelve years ago for the reasons that have been posted by many on this site.

13 hours ago, QPRFC said:

I'm still waiting for my promised refund for a cancelled flight at the end of March....at first I was told 4-6 weeks, then 6-8 weeks....well it's been 10 weeks and a few days, still no refund.
So, the Government will be paid off first, then the overpaid executives and then it'll collapse and then restart afresh with loyal passengers losing everything, air-miles, refunds etc
Corruption at it's finest without losing face, albeit the announcement backflips, money rules OK!!!

Refund for canceled flight or future bookings should be liabilities for THAI and have higher priority than debt.

There is still hope. After all a million+ people must have been affected by this.

Don't know about anyone else but I'd not even consider flying Thai Airways ... no way, when it is over rated and over priced with moody cabin crew. I fly EVA every time and it's way out in front on all things ... Emirates is good too but I feel it's a little pricey.

Edited by Brigand
  • Like 2

I absolute love the THAI Government and Politician, true I believe they do the absolute best to strive to help the people of THAILAND for the better and give them a good future and life.  ????

• Haha 1