Proof of 800,000 baht 3 months after visa

I am required to submit proof of 800,000 baht retained in my account for the 3 months after retirement visa renewal - 7th June to be precise.

So what do I do?

Go to Jomtiem immigration as usual ? or is this requirement been wavered for the time being?

Thank You 

Not sure if it still applies but last year i had to go to Jomtien immigration with a copy of my bank book showing the 800k for the full 3 months. No one even looked at it. Did they give you a form when you got your visa, take that.

Edited by Henryford

Literally nobody seems to know..I went to be on the safe side even though they never gave me a form to return or oral instructions.If you are a fretter go they will take your photocopies as they did with me if not wait till your extension next year and see.

In Jomtien I got a rough sheet of paper with the date of 3 months post visa extension to report and show my bankbook and copy of 3 months transactions. They took them when I went back in March.

Mines was due middle of April AT JOMTIEN, but due to the lockdown I didn't as soon as it was over I went to the bank got a letter with same as when I was applying in January 100 baht.  I went up to window 8, spoke to the girl she counted down the months told me to make xerox copy, of front page of passport, copy letter from bank and make copy of all pages of my bankbook,  only two pages (note I also brought my bankbook in case)  sign each page went back she review all the pages put some Thai form on top staple and told me all done! 

Your real concern will be when you seek your next one year extension and you have not followed the financial requirements that you agreed to when you got your current one year extension. If you have not kept 800,000 Thb in the bank account three months from the extension date approval and not less that 400,000 Thb the following 7 months and 800,000 Thb during the two months before next extension...your next one year extension renewal may be denied by the Immigration Officer.

• Like 2

I'm hoping that Udon Joe can jump in on this one. As with nearly all Immigration requirements, we see confusion and a variety of answers to this question. I got my retirement extension in early April at the Jomtien office. I was told that I had to keep my balance above 800k for 3 months (which I knew), and something about returning after Jun 30, but not before. The instructions were not clear as to what I was to bring with me. Can you clarify for us, Joe?

19 hours ago, masterpasser said:

So what do I do?

Go to Jomtiem immigration as usual ? or is this requirement been wavered for the time being?

Yes, go there, they're taking this more seriously now that they have fewer customers to annoy.

I did it a month ago, and that was a month overdue already but no way was I going there in March with the huge queues.

Go at the end of the day when it's quietest. They have a place specifically set up for this reporting now with a sign on it, on desk 8 and not quite at the far right-hand end as you look at it. One of the ladies there enters your details on a computer, which is why I say that they're taking it more seriously now.

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, PaulDee said:

I did 90-day report in Jomtien two weeks ago. Was not asked about 800,000 baht.

Because this 90 days report of the address has nothing to do with the 90 days report of the bank balance. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PaulDee said:

I did 90-day report in Jomtien two weeks ago. Was not asked about 800,000 baht.

A 90-day report is something totally different than the 800K money-in-bank check 3 months after approval of your extension of stay.

It would actually be a lucky co-incidence if the window for doing the 90-day report and the 800K money-in-bank check date, would be aligned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just get your pass book updated the morning you go to immigration.

Go directly to desk 8 and hand them a copy of the name/Ac No and pages showing transactions to that morning from your pass book, the form they gave you, copy of bio page of passport and last visa/extension issued by Thai immigration.

usually takes less than 5 minutes. 
(have your original passport and bank book with you)

I went to immigration on 7 may for my 90 day bank reporting its Not the 90 day address reporting. I went to my bank got it updated went to immigration the same day..took the form innigrations gave me when they extended my retirement visa. In Feb.had the copies they required its on the bank reporting form no problem. Immigration told me ok you can use the 800000Thb besure you have the 800000thb in your account when you for the retirement visa again..finally do not let the balance get below 400000thb during the year ..you can use a service to get it done if you dont feel up to taking a chance on sitting in the SAFE IMMIGRATION office..by doing it yourself

11 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

The 90-days report has nothing to do with the "90 days 800k in the bank" check. 

You are correct they are not the same, but some offices were re-setting 90-day reporting when the extension was done, so that both things could be done at the same time. 

Whether Jomtien is continuing to enforce this - after handing out documents saying it would be required - is another question.

• Like 1

I go to a different office. Had to go last Monday to do this. They put a little slip in your passport to remind you on what date to go (which also reminds you that failure to go cancels your extension!).

They wanted to see passport, bank book with balance updated that day, copy of passport ID page and copy of bank book ID page and current updated balance. All of which I had ready. Few minutes and that's it.

RE JOMTIEN.

I am attaching a copy of the form they gave me.

They said a little bit flexible on the 90 days (ie: few days/before after no problem).

When I asked about the consequences of not reporting, her answer was very civil.

" we check the docs reqd, take the paper I have attached and we record on the computor, so HO can see that the person has reported, and next time can be easy for you sir". (she really said sir, I liked that).

So with only a few copies to make and a few minutes at Counter 8 (no need to get a number) it is a no brainer. Do it and next year will be a 10 minute renewal breeze.

IMG_20200522_123717.jpg

Edited by couchpotato

51 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

RE JOMTIEN.

They said a little bit flexible on the 90 days (ie: few days/before after no problem).

When I asked about the consequences of not reporting, her answer was very civil.

" we check the docs reqd, take the paper I have attached and we record on the computor, so HO can see that the person has reported, and next time can be easy for you sir". (she really said sir, I liked that).

So with only a few copies to make and a few minutes at Counter 8 (no need to get a number) it is a no brainer. Do it and next year will be a 10 minute renewal breeze.

IMG_20200522_123717.jpg

Glad I went now if it might make my next extension smoother..was very quick and painless and one thing less to fret about..

3 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

Just get your pass book updated the morning you go to immigration.

Go directly to desk 8 and hand them a copy of the name/Ac No and pages showing transactions to that morning from your pass book, the form they gave you, copy of bio page of passport and last visa/extension issued by Thai immigration.

usually takes less than 5 minutes. 
(have your original passport and bank book with you)

yes....

As far as I know it is only the Jomtien Office and the UdonThani Office that require Non Imm O Visa holders on a 1-year extension of stay using the money-in-bank method, to come back 3 months after their 1-year extension has been approved to prove the 800K is still on their personal thai bank-account.  At other IOs such a bank-balance check after 3 months is not required.

When applying for the 1-year extension of stay, your 12-month bank-balance history is checked at all IOs anyway, and your application is denied when not meeting the requirements.

So why this check after 3 months?

The only reason I can think of is that there are retirees that take out all or part of the required 800K and 400K that is supposed to be kept on their thai bank-account.  Obviously by doing so they will not be able anymore to get a 1-year extension of stay.

But if they exit Thailand at the end of the granted 1-year permission to stay, they can then simply return VisaExempt and apply again for a new 90-day Non Imm O Visa and subsequent 1-year extension of stay.  And if they use a different bank-account than the one they used previously to prove their financials, there is no way that thai Immigration will be able to see that they did not meet the financial requirement of keeping the 800K/400K on their thai bank-account during their previous 1-year extension.

Checking the 800K bank-balance after 3 months will at least prevent those using that rinse/repeat scheme to take out the 800K during the first 3 months.  But obviously they could still do that game for the remaining 9 months.

So we can only hope that this bank-balance checking practice is not expanded to every 3 months of your 1-year extension, or that this practice is taken over also by other IOs than Jomtien or UdonThani.

The point for many will not be so much to prove that they still meet the financial requirements, but the fact that you need to do it in person at your local IO, and for those - like myself - that live far away from their local IO that would be a real hassle.

58 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

RE JOMTIEN.

Only a few minutes at counter 8? Yes - but it takes me more than 2 hours to get there and come back. And some are not even that lucky. 

In respect of some days before - I got a very clear statement that you can't come before because the law clearly states 90 days and not 80 or whatever before. But perhaps up to the officer. 

And all this because some people tried to cheat. They punish the wrong ones... ????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Oldie said:

Only a few minutes at counter 8? Yes - but it takes me more than 2 hours to get there and come back. And some are not even that lucky. 

In respect of some days before - I got a very clear statement that you can't come before because the law clearly states 90 days and not 80 or whatever before. But perhaps up to the officer. 

And all this because some people tried to cheat. They punish the wrong ones... ????

I suppose everyone has to make their own decision on these Jomtien rules. But for me, keeping within the rules, being 100% legal, gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling.

On 5/22/2020 at 7:31 AM, anfh said:

It is the same as before, go to Jomtiem and take copies of updated bank book etc etc. Basically, the visa amnesty etc does not affect the retirement extension system. 

I went to Huahin Prachuapkirikhan immigration office yesterday, Friday, for my OA retirement visa Permission to Stay one year extension. 

I had a bank letter of my cuurrnt balance as well as the previous 6 months of transaction history. That was insufficient. I had to go back to Bangkok Bank for the transaction records for the first six months of my Permission year. In other words they wanted the transaction records for the entire year of my extension. 

Naturally, the same teller who had given me the records on Thursday could not produce the records for the first half of the year on Friday. She said it takes three days to get such records. Thankfully she copied each relevant page of my bank book and stamped and signed them. Huahin IO reluctantly accepted that and I completed the extension. 

The law requires the 800k for the first and last 3 months of your extension year and 400k for the middle six months. The full transaction records, not bank book copies, are required. 

Next year I won't make that mistake but there will necessarily be another new pitfall to blindly stumble into. 

FYI. 

• Like 1

Thanks to all who gave me a clear and specific answer. Sounds like the process will be simple enough. But I have to point out that I was NOT given any form when I completed my extension. They just told me to come back after Jun 30, "but not before that". 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 7:31 AM, anfh said:

It is the same as before, go to Jomtiem and take copies of updated bank book etc etc. Basically, the visa amnesty etc does not affect the retirement extension system. 

Except for 90 day reporting.

On 5/22/2020 at 1:53 PM, Oldie said:

and it made no difference because people are still using agents to bribe past the rules, in fact since embassy letters were discontinued agent use has probably increased so there were even more cheats

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 2:08 PM, couchpotato said:

I suppose everyone has to make their own decision on these Jomtien rules. But for me, keeping within the rules, being 100% legal, gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling.

On 5/22/2020 at 1:53 PM, Oldie said:

My submission date is 7th June , which falls on a Sunday , so looks like a Monday for me

On 5/23/2020 at 8:28 AM, RocketDog said:

The law requires the 800k for the first and last 3 months of your extension year and 400k for the middle six months.

It's 2 months prior to each application for extension and 3 months after extension granted along with not below 400k. 

There are couple of imm office that require 3 months prior. Stupid office like Jomtien require 90day return to show money in bank. 

31 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's 2 months prior to each application for extension and 3 months after extension granted along with not below 400k. 

There are couple of imm office that require 3 months prior. Stupid office like Jomtien require 90day return to show money in bank. 

OK, a nuance. The bottom line is that a year's worth of bank records is a sure and simple way for the IO to monitor compliance with the regulation. As much as it inconvenienced me I understand their logic. As with most IO policy :

Resistance is Futile."

I won't make that mistake again. 

As @Peter Denis suggested in a PM to me I will get a six months bank record exactly six months after my current permission to stay was granted; easily done at my local branch in minutes for 100thb. Likewise, I will do the same a day before I apply for my next extension, thereby having a full year of records without waiting for either one more than a few minutes at the local branch bank. . 

• Like 1