Crowded Bangkok shopping area threatened with closure

snoop1130

Crowded Bangkok shopping area threatened with closure

By The Nation

800_061818b6c1b3a60.jpg

Shops and stalls in a busy Bangkok soi have been threatened with closure unless they start complying with social distancing measures to halt the spread of Covid-19.

The warning came after Ratchathewi District officials checked businesses in the Pratunam area today (May 21) and found many were failing to implement measures to guard against the disease. The officials found that vendors and shops on Phetchaburi Soi 21, which hosts a morning market, were still flouting hygiene rules after being allowed to reopen on May 17 under the second phase of lockdown easing.

Ratchathewi District director Rujira Arin warned that operators must start complying with the social distancing directive or officials would order their shops and stalls to be closed down.

The district chief added that Phetchaburi Soi 21 was a connecting road with a variety of vendors, and tended to get crowded. There was a problem managing the number of people entering the area, so local shops and stalls would be asked to adopt the ThaiChana QR code platform to reduce crowding.

Vendors in the area have been given until tomorrow (May 22) to comply with the rules. Those who failed to do so would be closed, said Rujira.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388261

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-21

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

asking and expecting thais to self-discipline was never and will never work

It has nothing to do with Thais. It is even worse in Europe for example. The people don't care (anymore). There seems to be no Corona fear anymore.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

This is similar to the situation at the daily night market across the street from my apartment complex in Ladprao. It is situated with about 40 food stalls on a T-shaped intersection. There is one entrance checkpoint at one of the three main access points though the street is wide there so people just walk by without checking in with the one person there at a small table (who will do the stupid temp check and give you a squirt of sanitizer on your hand before sticking a little sticker on your shirt). While I was stopping to do all of that, about 25 people just walked right by ignoring it. Looking around the market, I estimate that about 10% of people there had the stickers on their shirts. The street can't be blocked off to capture all who enter because it also accommodates vehicle traffic (go figure). I'm a little worried this market will get shut down for the same reason. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, YetAnother said:

asking and expecting thais to self-discipline was never and will never work

Stupid remark, as they used facemasks to protect others while they where having a cold years ago.

Look at the reopening of bars in other countries where they don't have masks at all and sit 30 centimeters apart.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Salerno said:

Nice touch blurring the faces of those not wearing masks so they don't get in the <deleted>, kudos :clap2:

Stadtler doubts whether that photo is current, but if it is, most people in that photo are not wearing a face mask.

Edited by Stadtler
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Just one of many examples, but I was in Villa last week and there was some guy looking at the sandwiches. I waited by the side for him to finish, and as I waited, a few people just went straight in and picked up what they wanted. NO distancing at all. Then we got to the checkout where people were distancing, but there was only one lane open. As we were waiting, the other cashier was setting up and you could see the creepers (that's what I call the idiots who think they're cunning and smart by pushing in) waiting by the side ready to pounce. As soon as she opened her till, a few people barged forward. 

Social distancing here really is just a buzzword. 

Get over it.

Creepers indeed. 

Spend less time focusing on others and live your life.

Sigh.

Edited by n00dle
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, samsensam said:

so true... the people are supposed to do what they are told!

a couple of years ago i had an argument with a friend who works quite high in the ministry of transport, it was when the crazy, dangerous driving of the vans was in the headlines, i said the minister of transport needs to do something, he has, replied my friend, he has told the van drivers to drive safely. i suggested it would need more than that, but my friend was adamant that everything would be ok now, because the van drivers had been told!

While  your anecdote might seem to  support the idea enforcement should supersede legislated informed information of expectation to comply it  defies the contradictory arguments.

A totalitarian  regime  can  pass and  enforce  legislation  that only has  merit  for the  regime that enforces  it and  it invokes justifiable  criticism.

A democratic regime can pass legislation that arises  from practical social concern and yet it gets  ignored  or  defied, decried as a totalitarian dictate.

So there  exists  this  contradiction of expectations.

Social  responsibility remains  with  society. Legislation is provided to support that responsibility .

So in a sense your friend is  right. The  Minister is  ok,absolved, done elected social duty   having  provided and informed.

37 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Get over it.

Creepers indeed. 

Spend less time focusing on others and live your life.

Sigh.

Thanks. Next time I comment on an article about people not social distancing, I’ll be sure to do it from an unknowing perspective. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Stop being nice and just pick your sandwich. If someone is taking too long just grab want you want, social distancing in shops is for paranoid people.

It’s not about being nice it’s about being considerate. Even in normal circumstances, I can wait a few seconds ‘til someone’s finished. Even more so when we’re being encouraged to keep a few steps from each other. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

It’s not about being nice it’s about being considerate. Even in normal circumstances, I can wait a few seconds ‘til someone’s finished. Even more so when we’re being encouraged to keep a few steps from each other. 

Unless they take the sandwich you wanted, but you waited too long whilst they were browsing. It's dog eat dog world out there woof woof

• Like 1

What do they expect? Markets were among the first places to reopen after restrictions were eased; markets, where social distancing and hygiene measures are so difficult to comply with, not just in Thailand but everywhere.

13 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Thanks. Next time I comment on an article about people not social distancing, I’ll be sure to do it from an unknowing perspective. 

Nah,just stop complaining.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Unless they take the sandwich you wanted, but you waited too long whilst they were browsing. It's dog eat dog world out there woof woof

Thanks. I’ll be sure to be more aggressive and physical with members of the public in the supermarket during these social distancing times. Especially at the sandwich section. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Thanks. I’ll be sure to be more aggressive and physical with members of the public in the supermarket during these social distancing times. Especially at the sandwich section. 

It's a supermarket, you are not going catch covid-19 picking up a sandwich and going to the next part of the shop. a simple excuse me or kor tort khrab will suffice. If I see someone hanging around waiting for me to finish I'll take longer to browse and then walk past them closer than the social distance. Total bs brainwashing about social distancing!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1